Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ian Anderson Reveals He Has COPD

Ian Anderson Reveals He Has COPD

https://www.loudersound.com/news/ian...e-lung-disease

Apparently in the Dan Rather interview that will air tomorrow night. He attributes the cause to being around smoke machines on stage for many years. I'd bet a good bit of it is smoking related as well; hope he quit. Probably explains a lot of his diminished ability to sing. Sad, but it is what it is, and he seems to be soldiering on.

Bill

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Yeah. Smoke machines. That's what caused it. Not inhaling the smoke from a burning substance dozens of times daily over the course of several decades.

The article makes it look like it's a rare condition but it's the very same one that lifetime smokers get. I don't know if Anderson was a smoker but it would perfectly explain it.

My Dad had that after a lifetime of smoking. I cant imagine that Anderson didn't smoke at some point but whatever way it does it, old age has a way of catching up with all of us eventually. All the best to Ian for all the music and fun concerts he has given us over the years. Smoke machines eh? Who'd have thought it?

Was Ian a smoker? I have no idea. Hell, I don't even know if he or anyone in Tull had drug habits.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Yeah, he was a fairly heavy smoker in the 60s & 70s. Smoked a pipe later on.

Back in the day I worked at many Jethro Tull concerts. The sample was not from machines but for weed. [emoji1787]

Smoking is defenitly not good for your health. The neighbour of my dad has COPD and needs extra oxygen. If I look at him, I think my dad, who is older is far better of.

Even if Ian wasn't a smoker, in the not so distant past, second hand smoke was everywhere. They used to allow smoking in hospital beds for Christ's sake.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Sorry he has this. There is a small minority of people who can get COPD from 2nd-hand smoke - it is believed to be a genetic issue. If that's him, then he's just very unlucky.

Otherwise, if he smoked... well, yeah, that's the main avenue for getting this. Sorry it happened.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Sorry he has this. There is a small minority of people who can get COPD from 2nd-hand smoke - it is believed to be a genetic issue. If that's him, then he's just very unlucky.

Otherwise, if he smoked... well, yeah, that's the main avenue for getting this. Sorry it happened.

FYI:
    The Jethro Tull leader makes the comments on the new episode of Dan Rather’s The Big Interview, which will be broadcast tomorrow night (May 13) at 8pm ET on AXS TV.

He definitely was a smoker, and was smoking at least a pipe well into the early 2000s. I saw him smoking his pipe each time he left the stage at an outdoor gig in the early 2000s, so my sense is it was a pretty regular thing. I've also heard rumors that he was a pretty heavy smoker and that that was part of the issue that led to his his vocal problems around the Under Wraps tour. Rumors, admittedly, but the vocal problems and now the COPD seem to corroborate that to some degree. And lots of rockers were around smoke machines for 50+ years, I haven't heard of any other cases of COPD being linked to those.

So I definitely link it to smoking, which is far and away the number one cause of COPD. Unfortunate, but not an unpredictable outcome.

Bill

Ian was a big smoker, as were a few other members of Tull back in the day, especially Palmer, who like Ian switched to pipe tobacco later in life. I believe both of them are long quit now, though.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Ian was a big smoker, as were a few other members of Tull back in the day, especially Palmer, who like Ian switched to pipe tobacco later in life. I believe both of them are long quit now, though.
    Ian points to smoke machines:
    https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...rather-998027/

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Right. I think many of us are questioning that, or at least thinking that is probably not the only cause of the issue.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I saw him smoking his pipe each time he left the stage at an outdoor gig in the early 2000s
    That's a clear sign of a very heavy smoking habit regardless of the fact that he switched to smoking a pipe.

I have a general lack of compassion for smokers but it seems all the more irresponsible to me when your career is mostly based on singing and playing the flute.
    Last edited by LeFrog; 05-12-2020 at 02:31 PM.

I think his narrative about smoke machines is about as reliable as his account of how the '70s band broke up. IA has always had a hard time admitting to certain truths, especially where his own behavior is concerned.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Does a rolled-up piece of paper qualify as a machine?

From an interview a few years back (https://www.loudersound.com/features...w-ian-anderson):

Throughout your career you’ve always been out of step with
    your contemporaries. Was there any sex and drugs on the road with Jethro Tull?

No. But it wasn’t because of any morality, it was because I was shit scared of catching some awful disease. I also didn’t want to risk my addictive personality by smoking anything stronger than cigarettes. I’m not one of those people who could smoke a couple of cigarettes a day. I was smoking as many as I could afford. So I thought I’d better control that before I got involved with everyone passing around the standard soggy joint… which I thought was a bit like licking the handle of a gents toilet. Why would you want to do that?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I think his narrative about smoke machines is about as reliable as his account of how the '70s band broke up. IA has always had a hard time admitting to certain truths, especially where his own behavior is concerned.
    I agree, but I wouldn’t use an opinion about him to rationalize it. I read several studies that showed that stage smoke was not shown to be a significant factor in COPD. Most certainly was tobacco use and few pipe smokers inhale. Deficiency in Vitamin D can be a cause too because it results in lung infections because of weak immunity.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    From an interview a few years back (https://www.loudersound.com/features...w-ian-anderson):
    That just shows how ignorant he is. Cigarettes are one of the most additive substances because people don’t think they are bad and are driven to constant dosage. Cannabis on the other hand can be habitual, but the drive isn’t there like tobacco. Also, read Dr Tashkin’s studies for the NIH on very heavy weed smokers (no tobacco) who smoked over 40 years. Negative correlation with lung cancer where a similar use of tobacco would have resulted in lung cancer after 20 years on the average. Reason is that cannabis contains antioxidants THC and others, and some terpenes are antibacterial (same has hops).

This is already OT or closed, unless we need to read of how healthy Americans will outlive Ian because they deserve to, because they never smoked.

With lack of compassion, I would say that this is irrelevant and thread closed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    This is already OT or closed, unless we need to read of how healthy Americans will outlive Ian because they deserve to, because they never smoked.

With lack of compassion, I would say that this is irrelevant and thread closed.
    Instead of whining why don’t you just go to the moderators?

Instead of whining why don’t you just go to the moderators?
    Surprisingly for you, this is not my way. This is in the main board of a music forum and it has nothing to do about music.

Mods can move it to OT or close it. I thought it was newsworthy and that it relates to a seminal figure in the Prog Rock world, which is why I posted it here.

Bill