6. Only in a Whisper (6:43)
    7. All That Before (6:26)
    8. Over the Hill (12:26)
    9. (We Are) Not Here (4:04)

Line-up:
    - Peter Hammill / vocals, guitar, pianos
    - Hugh Banton / organ, bass
    - Guy Evans / drums percussion

Here is what my buddy Chris Gleason (AKA SYZYGY) had to say about it on ProgArchives
    And then there were three...

Van Der Graaf Generator reformed for the second time to make Present in 2005, and since then Jackson has jumped ship for the second time. On the previous occasion that this happened VDGG recruited a violinist and welcomed erstwhile bassist Nic Potter back into the fold; the resulting album, The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome was generally considered a disappointment when it was released but has stood the test of time rather well. This time around the core members have decided to continue as a trio, and the resulting album is perhaps less immediate but deeper and more coherent than Present.

Trisector sees a number of changes for the band, some more obvious than others. The three piece VDGG has something of a keyboard dominated sound, although Hammill's distinctly non virtuoso guitar gets a more than adequate airing, and comparatively short songs are the order of the day. All but one of the nine tracks is credited to Banton/Evans/Hammill, the first time that group songwriting has dominated a VDGG album, and the overall mood and sound is relatively low key and gloomy, perhaps due to the church organ sound that Banton favours for many of the songs. They toured as a three piece before this was recorded, and they are clearly relaxed and confident in their stripped down format. But is it any good? The answer is a definite, though not unqualified, yes. The writing and arrangements are tight and focused, the musicians demonstrate a spellbinding interplay and the album's high points are well up to their extremely high standards.

There are a few weak spots; the instrumental opener The Hurlyburly would have been twice as effective if it had been two minutes long instead of four and half, and there are passages where Hammill adds some lead guitar and the absence of Jackson's sax is really noticeable . On Drop Dead it sounds as though Hammill's old alter ego Rikki Nadir has briefly taken over the proceedings - it will probably work superbly in concert, but the clodhopping beat rather disrupts the flow of the album.

The best tracks more than make up for the weaker moments, though. Only In a Whisper is a jazz tinged number featuring Hammill on Fender Rhodes and Banton on bass guitar, with splendidly restrained vocals and featherlight dumming. It's a beautifully understated performance from a band that has never shied away from the grand gesture, and all the more effective for it. All That Before is an uptempo rocker that really hits home, and Hammill's rhythm guitar playing beefs things up to great effect. The centrepiece of the album is the epic Over the Hill, which is everything an old school prog fan could wish for; time changes galore, constantly shifting moods and tempi and a bravura vocal performance of some suitably oblique lyrics which could refer the history of VDGG or Hammill's own existential turmoil. Prog rock doesn't get much better than this in any era or sub genre.

Following the triumph of Present and the subsequent live shows it seemed that VDGG had nothing left to prove, but Trisector demonstrates that they've still got everything to play for. Banton and Evans have rarely sounded better, and they provide some of the best settings ever for Hammill's voice and lyrics. Trisector isn't Pawn Hearts or Godbluff, but it isn't trying to be, which is probably its greatest strength. 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4 for the magnificent Only In a Whisper and Over the Hill

Last edited by Trane; 05-03-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

They've never made a weak album IMO, including these "VDGG2K" reformation albums (the best of which is Do Not Disturb, IMO). I've been mightily impressed with the quality of their output at this stage of their lives and career. I saw them on this tour in Hamilton, Ontario with The Church opening for them. Outstanding show, and I was thrilled to meet Hammill beforehand when I happened to pass him on the street on my way to grab some dinner earlier that evening. He was warm and genuine, and stuck his hand out for a surprisingly powerful handshake!

Terrific stuff from one of my absolute top favourite bands.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Much prefer the one before, and the one after.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Much prefer the one before, and the one after.
    I am always amused by the different views among hardcore fans. For me Trisector is *the* Y2K-VDGG to own. The others are to my ears decent Hammill records. Hammill's is the dominant voice here too but there are many sections where the group work really takes it to a higher level. Seeing "Over the Hill" live was a particular thrill.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I am always amused by the different views among hardcore fans. For me Trisector is *the* Y2K-VDGG to own. The others are to my ears decent Hammill records. Hammill's is the dominant voice here too but there are many sections where the group work really takes it to a higher level. Seeing "Over the Hill" live was a particular thrill.
    Yup, this album is almost a Banton album (all things considered), and seeing them on trhat tour, on stage, Hugh was not only playing bass, organ but often taking over Jaxon's parts whenever he cpould do so. The man was litteraly dancing on his stool while playing.

And yes, despite the absence of Jaxon, Trisector is their only post-millenium album that can compete with their 70's classics. All of the other ones are good (yes even the strange Alt), but don't come to TS' waist height.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Perhaps I should listen to this. I've always been a bit reluctant, because no Jackson, no VdGG in my opinion.

I am a big fan so I like all things Hammill.

Of the newer VDGG this one reaches second place for me after A Grounding in Numbers.

Present sounded pretty energetic but a bit uneven in the songmaterial.

Trisector sounds like a VDGG album with Jackson only without him. You can almost hear all the parts he was supposed to play. Most of the tunes are excellent though.

A grounding in numbers is really a new modernised VDGG sound. I love that one.

Do not disturb sounds a bit too much like a Hammill solo album played by the trio. Still very good, especially the first half.

I admire the new trio VdG lps, rather than actively liking them - I just miss the sounds of Jaxon too much to really embrace the new music. That said, I am probably in the camp for which Trisector is the least impressive of the trio outings. It feels slightly like an album in transition - their subsequent albums feel more to me like fully fledged trio works, as if it took them a couple of goes to truly find their musical feet as a trio.

Banned
    For me this is a very good album due to some standout tracks. It of course does not sound like classic VDGG, I sorely miss Jackson's sax and the greater prevalence of Hammill's middling electric guitar does not compensate. I was however, a bit pleasantly surprised at Banton's bass guitar, he manages to come up with some very tasteful bass lines at various points. Evan's drumming is characteristically solid throughout and 99% of the time Hammill’s vocals are excellent, even superb at points. If Jaxson hadn't jumped the ship I can't help but feel that a good album could have been a great album, there is some strong material here and ...who knows.

Even without Jackson, "Interference Patterns" for me is the single best track since the 2010 reunion. It hearkens back to VDGG at their peak with the complex riff-based drama that bubbled up on albums like Pawn Hearts and it works well in the trio format and was a highlight of the live show as well for me - top-drawer and stands with the best of back catalog! Other highlights for me are "Lifetime" which I think is an excellent and touching song - absolutely first rate, BUT it sounds much more like it belongs on a Hammill solo album rather than an VDGG album. "Only a Whisper" is another great song lyrically and melodically and like much of the album is masterfully produced. The album ends depressingly with a trio of geriatric-doom songs. "Over the Hill" starts beautifully with some real poetry from Mr. Hammill and then moves into some charmingly tricky rhythms but then ends with a repetitive anthem that doesn't quite float my boat. Feels like they dragged this one out a bit. The rest of the album similarly just doesn't do much for me although it has no outright clunkers. Still there are good moments throughout and I was not at all disappointed!

So for me good album, not great. YYMV and interested to hear other's thoughts.
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 05-03-2020 at 12:20 PM.

I need to give this another shot. I heard bits back when it came out, and it didn't excite me much. Count me as another that feels VDGG need Jackson, or somebody else, to help round out the sound. But I'll give it another go.

Bill

Good comments. I haven't really delved in the 2000's VDGG albums - of the 4 Trisector sounds to me the more interesting and consistent, with some pretty high points as Only In A Whisper. Maybe the trio format gave them a new challenge to tackle, and worked as motivation. The other 3 I find a bit dull to be honest. Maybe I should give Present another chance, but its size intimidates me. My impression was that of great playing and sound, but not so great compositions. I need to re-listen.

So a pretty good album, with moments of greatness for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Maybe I should give Present another chance, but its size intimidates me.
    Actually, the main album (disc 1) is only 37 minutes. Disc 2 is more of the experimental studio jam kind of stuff they released on Alt, and can easily be listened to separately (or not at all). Nutter Alert is one of the best VDGG2K tracks, IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Maybe I should give Present another chance, but its size intimidates me. My impression was that of great playing and sound, but not so great compositions. I need to re-listen.
    Actually, the main album (disc 1) is only 37 minutes. Disc 2 is more of the experimental studio jam kind of stuff they released on Alt, and can easily be listened to separately (or not at all). Nutter Alert is one of the best VDGG2K tracks, IMO.
    TBH, I really love Every Bloody Emperor, the next two are quite ok too, but theyr- run out of steam right after that.

The jam second disc should've been quite interesting (instrumental VdGG is pretty rare), but it's mosty a bunch of jams, not compositions ((should revisit that second disc) so nothing memorable comes out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    TBH, I really love Every Bloody Emperor, the next two are quite ok too, but theyr- run out of steam right after that.

The jam second disc should've been quite interesting (instrumental VdGG is pretty rare), but it's mosty a bunch of jams, not compositions ((should revisit that second disc) so nothing memorable comes out of it.
    I really love “In Babelsberg” from this album. Hammill sounds really energized and intense and the band is locked in behind him with that VdGG sense of “precise chaos” that they harness so well.

A Grounding in Numbers (2011) is easily the best of these "new" VdGG albums but this one is quite nice too. I especially like "Interference Patterns".
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Favorite from this side of the millennium is also Grounding,
    With DND close second.
    From Present I just love In Babelsberg and Abandon Ship! both of which don't seem to get too much love for some reason.
    From Trisector I like Interference Patterns, Only in a whisper. Over The Hill and we are not here.
    All in all the output from these recent years stand proudly shoulder to shoulder with their 70s output, IMHO.

Anyway,.. their comeback was remarkable in terms of artistic integrity. No VDGG "revisited" or rehash.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I haven't heard Do Not Disturb yet, but of the other post Y2K albums this is probably my favorite. Or not, depending on what day it is! I agree with others that they all have some great tracks on them.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    This is my favorite of the new lot.
    Chad

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    This is definitely the best of the trio albums, even it is a bit uneven. But the highs here are unmatched in the albums following.

I also agree with the following (sorry for not quoting properly, I just don't feel like editing the post):

"Trisector sounds like a VDGG album with Jackson only without him. You can almost hear all the parts he was supposed to play." -dunno

Which admittedly is sad, but...
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This is definitely the best of the trio albums, even it is a bit uneven. But the highs here are unmatched in the albums following.

I also agree with the following (sorry for not quoting properly, I just don't feel like editing the post):

"Trisector sounds like a VDGG album with Jackson only without him. You can almost hear all the parts he was supposed to play." -dunno

Which admittedly is sad, but...
    That is why I prefer A Grounding In Numbers. At that point they were completely comfortable without Jaxon. (Well songs are also on average better.)
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    That is why I prefer A Grounding In Numbers. At that point they were completely comfortable without Jaxon. (Well songs are also on average better.)
    Unfortunately I disagree there. The material is definitely stronger here for my ears. AGIN sounds quite tame and not as deep as your average VDGG. (But this is an old discussion, so I'm certainly not expecting anyone to agree with me. )

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Unfortunately I disagree there. The material is definitely stronger here for my ears. AGIN sounds quite tame and not as deep as your average VDGG. (But this is an old discussion, so I'm certainly not expecting anyone to agree with me. )
    Actually, I never got into AGIN... I tend to prefer both Present and DND to it.

the best moment of AGIN is the closer, the longest track (barely 6-mins) All Over The Place, with Hammill all over the harpsichord and the band finally unleashing mean solos to arouse our intellect. Too little too late, though.
    Last edited by Trane; 05-09-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Actually, I never got into AGIN... I tend to prefer both Present and DND to it.

the best moment is the close, the longest track (barely 6-mins) All Over The Place, with Hammill all over the harpsichord and the band finally unleashing mean solos to arouse our intellect. Too little too late, though.

Do Not Disturb is pretty good (although the CD sounds quite poor), definitely the second best of the post Jackson albums. I also like Alt alot, but then I'm in to those sorts of things.

Yup, I just spun Alt this afternoon, and I quite enjoyed it... It's still Graafesque, but something quite different, and I lked it on first listen.

Right now, I'm finishing my Mwandishi trip (all three abums) and I'll jump into Present until DND.