Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miley Cyrus Covers Pink Floyd From Her Back Yard On Virtual SNL Last Night

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Alice Cooper and Rick Wakeman show how to cover Pink Floyd:
    Wow that is not at all good. Miley's version is significantly better - and her version is pretty bland.

Banned
    Well got to show one instantiation of the real thing

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Wow that is not at all good. Miley's version is significantly better - and her version is pretty bland.
    She's at least respectful to the song. And, while I don't really know about the performance details, it looks like she can bring it live, without all the production gimmicks and song doctors and programming consultants a current pop star needs. That's something, even if it isn't all that much.

But for Limp Bizket, it's just another opportunity for Fred Durst to show off how he's way too cool for school. And the modified lyrics don't help.

I can't believe I am defending Miley Cyrus here, but she has actually come a long way as a vocalist since her day of being Hanna Montana. Here she cover's Dolly Pardon's "Joline" and I think it is great.

Last edited by SteveSly; 04-28-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Banned
    ^^^ Even with my snobbery and suspicion of all things popular, I must admit that was a stellar performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I can't believe I am defending Miley Cyrus here, but she has actually come a long way as a vocalist since her day of being Hanna Montana. Here she cover's Dolly Pardon's "Joline" and I think it is great.
    That is pretty good, although a lot of the secret is that A-list band.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Cyrus has a limited range and some pitchiness that could be improved with vocal lessons. Madonna, to her credit, immersed herself in vocal lessons after her second album. Say what you will about her voice, but there was a marked improvement in Madonna's vocals from her beginnings in the '80s through the '90s, even if you don't care for the music.

Cyrus is no more pre-fab than most auto-tuned pop tarts. She's no where near as outrageous as say, Lady Gaga or Marilyn Manson. I think some may hold her to higher standard because Cyrus played a 'tweener icon on TV, then grew up. It's working for her unlike many child stars who hit a brick wall when they enter adulthood.

That being said, not only do I have little use for Miley's talent, her speaking voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. But, more power to her I guess. If Dolly can make a bluegrass cover of Stairway to Heaven, Cyrus can make a milk toast version of a Pink Floyd song.

Banned
    ^^^ “pop tarts” Great name for girl group.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    Maybe reimagined as a duet with Dolly...
    “Careful With That Axe, Jolene...”

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    1. Her topless Vanity Fair photo shoot at 15 years old
    2. She smokes salvia on camera, saying I want more of that s_ _ _
    3. She pole dances at the Teen Choice Awards, while still filming Hannah Montana
    4. She twerks on Robin Thicke
    5. She is accused of culture appropriation
    6. She performs with a strap-on dildo and blow-up doll
    7. She throws a penis party for Liam Hemsworth
    8. The penis cake photo shoot
    9. Miley bares her ass to the paparazzi
    10. Miley brags about her sex life
    Anything that Lady Gaga or Britney Spears didn't do before MC??
    That stupid ugly bitch Paris Hilton managed to do that without even singing a note beforehand.

In these days, I find it good that young girls declare their hunger for penis, instead of bashing or trampling on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ “pop tarts” Great name for girl group.
    lmao.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Well, it certainly got your attention. I sense a big dose of fandom here so I won't try to explain "attention-getter". Like others before her, she gravitates toward doing whatever she can to be the bad girl, the nasty one, the profane one, the gross out queen. Controversy reigns over true talent. Her career is founded on that mission, once she left "Hannah" and pre-pubertoid behind her. These things got her much more attention than her mediocre singing talent would ever get her. And, as you can guess, these antics did not get her much, if any, attention on refined music sites such as PE, but performing a lame version of a Pink Floyd classic broke her through the glass wall and into the hearts and minds of "old farts", as you mentioned. She continues to succeed.

1. Her topless Vanity Fair photo shoot at 15 years old
    2. She smokes salvia on camera, saying I want more of that s_ _ _
    3. She pole dances at the Teen Choice Awards, while still filming Hannah Montana
    4. She twerks on Robin Thicke
    5. She is accused of culture appropriation
    6. She performs with a strap-on dildo and blow-up doll
    7. She throws a penis party for Liam Hemsworth
    8. The penis cake photo shoot
    9. Miley bares her ass to the paparazzi
    10. Miley brags about her sex life
    Lets look at what some other musicians did when they were younger, like molesting hotel-rooms, smashing instruments, brag about having sex with countless women, some of which might even be under age. But hey, of course they were male and respected and not some female one just want to look down on, because we don't like their music.

... 5. She is accused of culture appropriation...
    *GASP!* Oh no! Not culture appropriation! Anything but that! Oh wait, she has been accused of "culture appropriation"! Why that's even worse!
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Lets look at what some other musicians did when they were younger, like molesting hotel-rooms, smashing instruments, brag about having sex with countless women, some of which might even be under age. But hey, of course they were male and respected and not some female one just want to look down on, because we don't like their music.
    Indeed. Blatant, sexist double-standard.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Why is it that anytime you ask someone to support their criticism of something or someone, their first response is to accuse you of being a fan of whatever it is. Dude, I'm not a Miley Cyrus fan. I just asked you how you think performing WYWH on SNL was "for attention?" I haven't even watch the clip and couldn't care less what the performance was like.

Heh. You just wrote a mini-biography about the woman for me here. You literally know at least 10 more things about her than I did. But I'm the fan.

I'm still waiting to hear how the song choice was "for attention." That was all I was asking.

I provided you with the site where I culled the headlines from and I also gave you my best foot forward explanation of why I consider her an artist who gained attention largely through her antics, as many before her have done (see my initial statement about "another example"). Never said she was the only one and that males in rock music haven't acted poorly. This was a simple opinion that I don't expect agreement on. Beyond that and whatever humor has been injected here with the site I provided, I reaffirm my initial post and don't expect a fan of hers or someone who likes her version of a PF song to agree. End of story.

Good god, all the pissing and moaning over this.

Only on PE.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    ^^^ FWIW, I didn’t mean to accuse you or anyone of a double standard, I meant it as a general observation. I should have been clear about that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

Only on PE.
    Yes, sorry that it came to this.

Only on PE.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Jeez, how many '70s rockers would be registered sex offenders by today's standard?

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Jeez, how many '70s rockers would be registered sex offenders by today's standard?
    I didn't realize sex with minors was ever acceptable.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Lady Ga Ga and MC are not comparable, except in a negative way. MC seems to have taken a few plays out of the Lady Ga Ga playbook, but Lady Ga Ga is far more talented and capable than MC.

I provided you with the site where I culled the headlines from and I also gave you my best foot forward explanation of why I consider her an artist who gained attention largely through her antics, as many before her have done (see my initial statement about "another example"). Never said she was the only one and that males in rock music haven't acted poorly. This was a simple opinion that I don't expect agreement on. Beyond that and whatever humor has been injected here with the site I provided, I reaffirm my initial post and don't expect a fan of hers or someone who likes her version of a PF song to agree. End of story.
    I've already been clear that I am not a fan of hers and haven't watched the WYWH performance. Why do you keep going back to that well?

Can you explain how performing Wish You Were Here was a bid "to get attention" and not just a musician performing a song? That's all I've asked of you.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    I've already been clear that I am not a fan of hers and haven't watched the WYWH performance. Why do you keep going back to that well?

Can you explain how performing Wish You Were Here was a bid "to get attention" and not just a musician performing a song? That's all I've asked of you.

See post #63, that's the end of my exchange with you on this subject. Please, let it go.

So many new prog albums go unnoticed, just get a few responses, ignored, maybe interest in great music is dying ... who knows

Here we are, 3 full pages of this singer, go figure.

I didn't realize sex with minors was ever acceptable.
    it was overlooked depending upon who did what. You never heard any of those groupie stories? Many of them were around 15-16 years of age when that went on.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Lady Ga Ga and MC are not comparable, except in a negative way. MC seems to have taken a few plays out of the Lady Ga Ga playbook, but Lady Ga Ga is far more talented and capable than MC.
    Its pop music. Talent is no substitute for celebrity