Thread: Moundrag - new French proto-prog duo

Moundrag - new French proto-prog duo

Fun, raw-sounding proto-prog, really good for a two-piece, and unusually full-sounding. They have an intentionally old-fashioned sound, a bit like Deep Purple without guitars; the songs aren't stunning but they're pretty decent. While the band may be intentionally retro, there's little or nothing ironic about that - they do an excellent, unforced, authentic job of really sounding like some minor, lost, almost-prog band from about 1968. One guy plays Hammond + left-hand Moog bass, the other plays drums, both sing lead and harmony vocals. They do all these well, although it's clear that English isn't their first language. And, it's great to hear a Hammond pounded on for all it's worth - it'd be so much easier to get a big sound with synths, but they resist the temptation, although they do apparently use more keyboards on record. Very tight, which isn't surprising; not only have they been playing together for their while lives, but they're so close the two even have the same mom and dad. They're from Rennes.

Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-25-2020 at 01:22 AM.

They need a guitar & bass asap.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Time Machine guys!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Banned
    ^^^ Yep! Sounds like 1971. Not bad at all but I love that era. I agree some guitar & bass would really tie a ribbon on this.

Where did you come across this, John?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ Yep! Sounds like 1971. Not bad at all but I love that era. I agree some guitar & bass would really tie a ribbon on this.
    Agreed. It was fun to hear, but the 3 camera coverage can't save the fact it's 2 guys.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Where did you come across this, John?
    Agreed. It was fun to hear, but the 3 camera coverage can't save the fact it's 2 guys.
    It's still pretty good for two guys. Consider: They both need to do two or three jobs at once, and are doing them both reasonably well, if not stunningly.
    My main criticism would be of their material, which is OK but not as good as it could be.

And I found it on the KEXP live series. Those videos regularly show up in my feed - they broadcast smaller and more rock-oriented acts than Tiny Desk, but they're not bad..

Just finding about these guys. They released an album last year:

https://moundrag.bandcamp.com/album/...n_menubar=true
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I keep discovering artists from my own country - some of which almost live next door - thanks to american people on this forum.