Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An Band/Artist That You Have To Have Everything From

Banned

An Band/Artist That You Have To Have Everything From

I have been thinking about this for a while. Is there a band/artist to you have to have every cd from? This does not include compilations, just studio albums. I guess Pink Floyd and The Police would be an example for me. Actually, I don't own any live albums from Pink Floyd or The Police. I used to feel that way about Queen and Genesis, but not anymore(a man must know his limitations). What are some examples for other people on here?

Banned
    the correct term is "Completist". for me- Yes, ELP, Crimson, Genesis and all the endless offshoots/solo albums/other bands/whatever. And that includes all compilations, live albums, record company money grabs. If it's legit, I want it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    the correct term is "Completist". for me- Yes, ELP, Crimson, Genesis and all the endless offshoots/solo albums/other bands/whatever. And that includes all compilations, live albums, record company money grabs. If it's legit, I want it.
    Thanks, 80s. So, you mean to tell me that you own "turds" like Love Beach, Tormato, Open Your Eyes, We Can't Dance, and Calling All Stations?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Thanks, 80s. So, you mean to tell me that you own "turds" like Love Beach, Tormato, Open Your Eyes, We Can't Dance, and Calling All Stations?
    While I don't own any of those albums, try to remember that one man's turd is another man's flower.

I am not a completist of any of the "big 5". I have everything (incl any live albums) by After Crying, Big Big Train, Anglagard,, Magic Pie, Moon Safari, Poor Genetic Material, Be Bop Deluxe (not incl B Nelson solo stuff), Credo, Love/Arthur Lee & Steely Dan. The Who are one of my 3 favorite bands all-time along with Love & the Dan and I don't even have all their albums.

If any of the aforementioned bands make future albums, they're autobuy for me.
    Last edited by progeezer; 03-03-2013 at 11:01 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    While I don't own any of those albums, try to remember that one man's turd is another man's flower.

I am not a completist of any of the "big 5". I have everything (incl any live albums) by After Crying, Big Big Train, Anglagard,, Magic Pie, Moon Safari, Poor Genetic Material, Be Bop Deluxe (not incl B Nelson solo stuff), Love/Arthur Lee & Steely Dan. The Who are one of my 3 favorite bands all-time along with Love & the Dan and I don't even have all their albums.

If any of the aforementioned bands make future albums, they're autobuy foe me.
    I was just using turd based on the reputation on those albums. I love CAS, had Tormato, but have never heard Love Beach.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I gave up the idea of being completest some decades back, but I do have 31 King Crimson releases. So that's what comes closest.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Banned
    yes JIF and sorry but the above is probably the most immature statement anyone can make.

I own all of those.

There are quite a few bands that I feel the need to "complete," although the compulsion has thankfully waned some over the years. You can only listen to so much, right? And there's still so much great new stuff coming out, and thanks to this site, my eyes are constantly opened to new bands, genres, etc.

So, Yes and their offshoots, Genesis and their offshoots, Toto and Steve Lukather (Luke's solo albums, that is. One could never hope to compile all of his studio work), Asia, Marillion (Well, kinda. I'm not sure that anyone can really be a completist of Marillion ), etc. You get the idea.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    I was just using turd based on the reputation on those albums. I love CAS, had Tormato, but have never heard Love Beach.
    so you call albums you never heard turds? unfuckingbelieveable....I dont' know why I bothered to respond to this thread.....good luck with the rest of the thread...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Many bands, for me.

Notables are:

Roy Harper
    Marillion
    Rush
    Kate Bush
    Fish
    Floyd
    Genesis

And I have almost everything by Klaus Schulze (blows on knuckles, looks at them, and rubs them on chest)

Oh, yeah, how could I forget Rush?

I'm sure I forgot many.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    so you call albums you never heard turds? unfuckingbelieveable....I dont' know why I bothered to respond to this thread.....good luck with the rest of the thread...
    I didn't exactly call them turds. That's why that word was in quotes. Several people on PE have. So, why don't you go after them? Also, notice that two people did respond after you.

Eddie Jobson's Zinc.

Seriously, I can't think of one artist I've bothered to get EVERY album by. Not Tull. Not Yes. Not even the Beatles. I would have been there once upon a time with several bands (like King's X ) but I always fall off the bandwagon at some point...

meimjustalawnmower
    If we're just talking prog, then I would have to say IQ, Marillion, Brand X, Nektar. Anyone that would be included in the so-called "Big 5" has probably disappointed me more than not with anything post-1977.

For me it always was and always will be The Beatles. Maybe 100 vinyl discs and a couple hundred CDs. Thousands of unreleased recordings.

It's a sickness in it's fourth decade.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    If we're just talking prog, then I would have to say IQ, Marillion, Brand X, Nektar. Anyone that would be included in the so-called "Big 5" has probably disappointed me more than not with anything post-1977.
    Speaking of Marillion, how would you rate Holidays In Eden?

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    For me it always was and always will be The Beatles. Maybe 100 vinyl discs and a couple hundred CDs. Thousands of unreleased recordings.

It's a sickness in it's fourth decade.
    The problem with that is you have a lot of repeats. At some point it just becomes redundant. I went through a period where I accumulated a shitload of Beatles/Beach Boys/Stones boots. Now they just sit on a shelf collecting dust.

I love it, but I also love AOR. I can see where those who don't may have issues with it.

Based on things you've posted, JIF, I'd think you'd like it.

The problem with that is you have a lot of repeats. At some point it just becomes redundant. I went through a period where I accumulated a shitload of Beatles/Beach Boys/Stones boots. Now they just sit on a shelf collecting dust.
    Yeah, this is definitely the problem. I have no problem with the stuff taking up space, but the idea that I don't even listen to it has begun to sink in some.

Some.

Zeppelin
    Rush
    Steely Dan
    The Who
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Jethro Tull
    Free
    Gov't Mule
    Bruce Springsteen
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

meimjustalawnmower
    Being a fan of Marillion from the very beginning, I would have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised by Seasons End. So when they followed up with Holidays, I had a little trepidation because they were essentially a new band with a sophomore effort, and you know how that usually works. Unlike their earlier stuff, it took a couple of listens, but now I consider it to be one of my favorite H albums, along with Afraid Of Sunlight and This Strange Engine.

I have a few that I own at least their entire studio output. I am only going to count artists that have at least 5 studio albums out:

Pink Floyd
    Marillion
    Blue Oyster Cult
    Jimmy Buffett (no, I'm not kidding I own them all)
    Alice Cooper
    Rush
    Yes
    Genesis
    Tab Benoit
    Tommy Castro
    Porcupine Tree
    Kansas
    The Who
    Tool
    Arena
    Queensryche
    Salem Hill
    Spocks Beard
    Alan Parsons (Project / Solo)
    Fish
    The Flower Kings

I'm sure there are a few more, but those are the ones that come to my head.

Steve Sly

Actually, that's not quite the case. Maybe with your collection.

I've recently completed my Alan Stivell collection
    I'm still one short of a complete set with Radio Massacre International
    I don't care for Calling All Stations, so Genesis will never be complete
    Similarly for Eloy with their first hardrock album
    I'm making good progress with Soft Machine, although I don't think I'll ever get Land of Cockayne
    I don't care much for the recent VdGG albums, so they've gone uncomplete
    Still missing one album by Czesław Niemen that hasn't come out on CD yet (and one or two collaborations)
    Józef Skrzek is almost complete
    And a whole bunch of artists with only a few albums...

Genesis, Jethro Tull, Marillion, Yes, IQ, VDGG/Hammill, Rush, Iron Maiden, Anglagard, Anekdoten, Beardfish, Arena, Citizen Cain, The Watch, Knight Area, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, The Tangent, Porcupine Tree/Wilson, Ayreon/Arjen, Resistor/Steve Unruh

... that's a massive pile of discs right there. :P I would like to include Zappa and Crimson but there are a few from both that I don't care for/want. Otherwise, it seems I am quite the completist.

And Holidays In Eden is an excellent album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The Doors (I don't count the When You're Strange soundtrack because a lot of it is Johnny Depp reading JM's poetry. I'd buy it if they had used recordings of Jim reading it)
    The Beatles
    Five Horse Johnson
    Southern Culture on the Skids