Thread: RIP Ruben Melogno (Psiglo)

RIP Ruben Melogno (Psiglo)

COVID-19: Uruguayan Ruben Melogno, former singer of Psiglo, died in Spain where he lived for decades.

https://www.tvshow.com.uy/personajes...te-psiglo.html

Thanks for the music!.
    Rest in Peace!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Sorry to read this.

Fabulous vocalist! And, from what I understand, the main reason why the band needed to escape into exile after the military coup in '73. Their second album is still a major classic of 70s Latin-American rock. When other Psiglo members teamed up with Asfalto in Spain, he was left out. I always wondered why.

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

UGH. Sorry to hear this. I will spin some Psiglo.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Very sorry to hear. I am listening to PsigloII right now - such a lovely record. I find this kind of music more interesting than the more conscious prog bands, like Crucis, Espiritu etc. Was this recorded back in the days, to surface only by 1982?
    A truly magnificent effort, and the vocals is a big factor in this. Great range and variety, from the heavy parts to the more melodic ones.
    RIP

^ I always appreciated Crucis, but Espiritu were - to me - an obvious case of "trying too hard to make it sound 'correct'". Consequently I find the latter's first two albums fairly passable, but not altogether enjoyable as in anywhere near "exciting". As for Psiglo 2, it became the only "well-known" Uruguayan progressive album next to El Profeta by Armando Tirelli, much on the strength of Asfalto's later (relative) success on the Spanish hard-rock circuit in the late 70s. I believe there was a highly limited pressing in '76, but the band had long since fled to Spain by then (being denounced as 'subversives' by the junta) and didn't get to see a general release until '81. It's a wonderful concoction of post-psych jammy rock and proto-progressive, with that breezy Latin-American vibe which could also be heard in many Argentinian acts of the day.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Excellent vocalist! RIP. I'll blast Psiglo in memoriam this evening.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ...next to El Profeta by Armando Tirelli.
    This sounds very interesting too. The whole naivete of the project is killing me. Part of me wants to play early Celtic Frost to retaliate all this sentiment, part of me loves the melodic onslaught.

This is what I know Fellows:

Before Psiglo, he was part of Ovni 87 that released only 2 good singles:
    (https://www.discogs.com/artist/1079844-Ovni-87)

Siento:

Algo Fugaz:

As Richard wrote, Psiglo went on to record their second album, Psiglo II, in 1974, but it would not see the light until 1981, due to the harsh censorship imposed on it!.

When Psiglo arrived in Spain in the last stage of Franco's regime circa 1975, the local scene wasn't ready for the group's "progressive rock music": at that time, the "protest song" and the traditional music reigned, so, Psiglo failed to obtain recognition or an opportunity and soon dissolved and some of them were session musicians or part of a group.

In 1975 together with Hermes Calabria, Rubén Melogno founded the first rock academy in Spain called the "Rockservatorio" and why he wasn't called or considered to be part of the other bands of his friends? well, that's a good question but when seeing the bands that some of them founded and/or were part, those bands already had a singer.

For example:
    - Gonzalo Farrugia (drums) didn't go to Spain, instead, he stayed in Argentina and joined Crucis in 1975 and in 1976, he collaborated as the drummer on some tracks of the only album released by Porsuigieco (Raúl Porchetto, Charly García, Nito Mestre, León Gieco and María Rosa Yorio.)

- In 1978 Jorge García Banegas (keys) joined Asfalto that had just recorded their debut album.

- Hermes Calabria, Melogno's partner as I wrote and Farrugia's successor on drums in the group's latest formation although he doesn't appear in any of the records, participated in the formation of the emblematic hispanic metal band Barón Rojo!.

Finally, Psiglo III, a pop/rock album only for completists:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgIv...qTCDew&index=1

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Last edited by TCC; 03-29-2020 at 03:48 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.