Page 52 of 235 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102152 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Agree. Looks like Native Americans (talk about getting screwed) will also be hit hard. I hope when the dust settles this will inspire some change and progress regarding public health care policies, economics and how the most vulnerable in our society are affected. Well I can dream can't I?
    I guess you can.....but if past history is a prediction of the future...then no, the people pulling the levers (Money) Do NOT want change or uncertainty that would effect their portfolio....I fear a RUSH to go back to where were were in February is the top priority for "the lever pullers."
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    ....I fear a RUSH to go back to where were were in February is the top priority for "the lever pullers."
    So, where is it you think we should be going? Just curious. I dont see a lot of options here. But then, I'm not very bright.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    In many cities, African Americans live in food deserts, so only have access to cheap, filling food made of mostly carbohydrates. That is why we see higher rates if diabetes, not because of genetics. Thus, it is a social determinant of health that leads to higher risk from Covid- directly related to levels of poverty. It is NOT clear that Africa Americans are dying because of underlying conditions- this may be true or not, but there is not enough data to answer that question. So the social question is indeed a racial one; they are inextricably bound. What IS known is that African Americans are dying at a much higher rate than their counterparts- now we need to see why. Is it socioeconomic? Racial? Genetic? Due to comorbidity? Population density? Family and cultural issues? For example, ebola spread because it was common in funerals in the bush for family members to touch the body of the dead person. Stop that, and you helped mitigate spread. In other words, youhad to change behavior. That is what the US is doing, poorly, as witness some of the comments above. People are not listening.

In the end, this is personal. Idiots who do not follow these rules make it harder for my granddaughter to ever get out the house, even after this shelter-in-place is lifted. The virus will not just disappear- so when would be the right time to take a 2 1/2 yo immune-compromised child out to a restaurant, or to her therapist's office or, well, anywhere?
    all true... and this is the scary part
    unless there is a vaccine that is proven effective, life will not be able to return to normal
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Danish newspapers write today that USA has more than 17 million unemployed....
    That number only reflects those who were able to get through to their unemployment offices. Many, many people are finding it very difficult, if not impossible to even file for unemployment. The states' unemployment systems are overwhelmed.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    That number only reflects those who were able to get through to their unemployment offices. Many, many people are finding it very difficult, if not impossible to even file for unemployment. The states' unemployment systems are overwhelmed.
    It's not even just that. I filed for unemployment but my claim was denied because I didn't make enough money per week. One of my friends explained that I"ve "fallen through the cracks". The best I can hope for is that maybe I can get a job of some kind, and make at least a little money, so that i can meet my financial obligations.

Chris, you should be more than qualified to work as an archivist at the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame. Just don't mention how you feel about Nirvana.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Its obnoxious how some people can fall through the cracks. That needs to be fixed. its not like some of us really NEED the stimulus money, but I just paid my taxes for the year, and I think they get an awful lot from me considering what I get out of them. That being said, I feel very bad for people who cannot seem to catch a break. We should be doing better as a nation with those who are really hurting. I have a couple kids who have lost their jobs. I'm paying for their support now, so the money will go to them. Sucks and we need to get people back working. This is not natural.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    While it sucks, you really have no choice. Safety first. Otherwise, you could lose a family member.

I am ready to call the authorities the next time my neighbors have a party like they did last weekend. Quite frankly, I don't give a flying fuck what they think. They are putting my family, friends and neighbors at risk with their short-sighted selfishness and utter stupidity. Will it take one of their own family members dying before they get smarter about this?

There's nothing nosy about it.
    Okay another of my takes.

I live in a smallish town of 84,250 people

Confirmed number of cases in our town as of Apr 11: 38 cases, Hospitalized 5 cases, and zero deaths.

I have been 'locked down' in my home, except for a couple of trips to get groceries, for over 3 weeks.

Same goes for my in laws. What are the chances any of us are infected by outsiders?

What are the chances that any of us are going to get infected if we just get together and enjoy some fellowship at Easter?

We are all following strict guidelines re social distancing around strangers and hand washing and sanitizing around the house.

My sister in law, who hosts most of our family get togethers has been forced to pull a sneaky just to enjoy Easter dinner at her daughter and son-in-laws house because she is so afraid some neighbour (Canadian spelling) would snitch on her if she had Easter dinner at her house.

That's my daily rant.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Happy Easter.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Same goes for my in laws. What are the chances any of us are infected by outsiders?

What are the chances that any of us are going to get infected if we just get together and enjoy some fellowship at Easter?
    Your risk is very low. But, like the virus, if everyone adopts and rationalizes similar attitudes and behaviors, the collective risk grows.

Since there are still gaps in testing (not knowing about the frequency in Canada) and it's very possible there are silent carriers among every population group, this is a dangerous time to make decisions to congregate, considering we lack a vaccine and proper treatment.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    Okay another of my takes.

I live in a smallish town of 84,250 people

Confirmed number of cases in our town as of Apr 11: 38 cases, Hospitalized 5 cases, and zero deaths.

I have been 'locked down' in my home, except for a couple of trips to get groceries, for over 3 weeks.

We are all following strict guidelines re social distancing around strangers and hand washing and sanitizing around the house.

My sister in law, who hosts most of our family get togethers has been forced to pull a sneaky just to enjoy Easter dinner at her daughter and son-in-laws house because she is so afraid some neighbour (Canadian spelling) would snitch on her if she had Easter dinner at her house.

That's my daily rant.

Stay safe and healthy everyone.

Happy Easter.

DtB
    Unless everyone involved in a get together has been tested, it's possible you could have the virus and not show symptoms.
    Even if the odds are very low you could pass the virus to someone, is it worth the risk?
    There will be many more Easters to celebrate, but if a family member gets Covid19 and becomes deathly ill and passes is it worth it?

During my 4 year stint in the military, half of my tour was overseas. Twice I missed Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Birthdays away from my friends and family.
    But time passes and soon it's over and life returns to normal and you get to celebrate these days with family once again.
    And so it is with this world event we are experiencing, it's happening around the world and most families will have to forgo their traditional celebration, as well as those who every year go to Easter Service or Passover. This year they will be doing something different, perhaps an online service.
    But this will pass, and really, these holidays are celebrated in your heart and soul, a building is just a material thing.

A lot of people are using Zoom(I don't know much about it as I'm technology challenged) for keeping in contact and it's one way of sharing a Easter get together with the family, while keeping a safe distance.

I personally don't think it's worth the risk, it's more about protecting other people..as citizens of the world, we have an obligation to our fellow man to not put them at risk in my opinion..my 5 cents and have a wonderful Easter Sunday.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 04-11-2020 at 10:02 AM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The chances of you getting infected by an asymptomatic carrier (who could be a family member without knowing it) and infecting others are ZERO if you don't do it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

We did not one but two Zoom Seders this past week. I am doing Zoom cocktail hours with my brother and with my kids. We watch Zoom services from our synagogue, who handles this with great grace. We can stay in touch. Again, not to belabor my personal stake here, but the idea of allowing hundreds to congregate during holiday services puts others at risk, a risk that places my direct family at risk not of just contracting Covid but of dying of ARDS. Please don't. It is not about you and your immediate discomfort; it is about saving others. Worth it, don't you think?
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    We did not one but two Zoom Seders this past week. I am doing Zoom cocktail hours with my brother and with my kids. We watch Zoom services from our synagogue, who handles this with great grace. We can stay in touch. Again, not to belabor my personal stake here, but the idea of allowing hundreds to congregate during holiday services puts others at risk, a risk that places my direct family at risk not of just contracting Covid but of dying of ARDS. Please don't. It is not about you and your immediate discomfort; it is about saving others. Worth it, don't you think?
    Amen (no pun intended).

There's a reason why they call that part of your head a temple. You don't need the facility to still practice your religion.

This is what we call selflessness.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Really gotta question the value of mass testing after looking at the statistics https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?

The media would have us believe that certain countries have conducted mass testing quickly which have helped them to flatten the curve but look (column on the far right). S. Korea hasn’t tested even 1% of its citizens, Singapore and Hong Kong (where it would be easier to do) have tested just over 1%, Taiwan not yet 2%. Their numbers in terms of testing don’t vary much from the hardest hit countries.

The popular notion that they adopted ‘mass testing’ early is based on the fact that they were nearer to China and thus developed identifiable clusters very quickly. They acted quickly and efficiently to control these clusters (pats them on back) but there neither is nor was any mass testing on the populace in general.

I see almost no relation between the number of tests per populace (almost no large country is above 2%) and the relative success in containment so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    Really gotta question the value of mass testing after looking at the statistics https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?

The media would have us believe that certain countries have conducted mass testing quickly which have helped them to flatten the curve but look (column on the far right). S. Korea hasn’t tested even 1% of its citizens, Singapore and Hong Kong (where it would be easier to do) have tested just over 1%, Taiwan not yet 2%. Their numbers in terms of testing don’t vary much from the hardest hit countries.

The popular notion that they adopted ‘mass testing’ early is based on the fact that they were nearer to China and thus developed identifiable clusters very quickly. They acted quickly and efficiently to control these clusters (pats them on back) but there neither is nor was any mass testing on the populace in general.

I see almost no relation between the number of tests per populace (almost no large country is above 2%) and the relative success in containment so far.
    There is no silver bullet. It's a combination of steps and best practices.

There's not enough evidence for anything definitive about this at this point. (They don't even know for sure if those who had it will be immune.) Without testing, there is a huge data void. Data is everything right now. In lieu of having that, all we can go by is conventional wisdom of those who are experienced and trained to deal with this. That group typically does not include media or politicians. This is about doing what makes sense and hopes it has a positive effect.

Banned
    I’m going to trust that the vast majority of people are intelligent and informed enough by now to listen to the medical and scientific consensus and understand that without mass testing and contact tracing, this virus will not be eliminated and we will not get back to normal unless you consider thousands or millions of needless deaths normal. There is another point of view, however I have the same desire to debate that as I have to debate a flat earth believer. Willful ignorance is a deadly choice.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac
    Without testing, there is a huge data void. Data is everything right now. In lieu of having that, all we can go by is conventional wisdom of those who are experienced and trained to deal with this. That group typically does not include media or politicians.
    Exactly. You can't have reasonable testing results unless you can test everyone as frequently as necessary. Lacking this vital information, everything you hear from politicians and the media is at best extrapolation, and at worst self-serving interpretation of data that isn't there (i.e., lies). Real scientists will tell you they don't have enough data to make predictions. But they are working on it and they are our best bet. You will never see a politician or a news anchorperson come up with a vaccine.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I don't think we'll get back to "normal" (or normal as we knew it. Which is good). The worst thing in this experience (besides the deaths of course) has been the loss of employment for so many people, and the general economic hit we've taken. I'm fortunately employed. I've gotten used to sheltering in place on weekends. I listening to a lot of sports talk radio but I can live without sports (although I hope the NFL will start up as usual in September). At some point businesses have to gradually reopen and get going. People will just need to keep wearing masks and using hand sanitizer, and avoid congregating in large crowds even if there is no vaccine. And you can bet that people will be hoarding masks, gloves, and sanitizer for a couple more years, easily. Our lives of convenience have changed. Listen to the medical experts.
    E-A-T

My wife was covid-19 tested at the hospital last saturday (she is in the risk group, and we have had symptoms for a bout 4 weks now).
    She was the only one in line to be tested. No one else in line before or after.

7 days has gone and no answer (by loggin you should be able to se it online after a day or two)

Today we finally got them on telephone - the sample has been accidentally thrown away...they only discovered because we asked.
    Now she has to make her doctor ask the hospital to test her again.
    This is Denmark.
    Idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My wife was covid-19 tested at the hospital last saturday (she is in the risk group, and we have had symptoms for a bout 4 weks now).
    She was the only one in line to be tested. No one else in line before or after.

7 days has gone and no answer (by loggin you should be able to se it online after a day or two)

Today we finally got them on telephone - the sample has been accidentally thrown away...they only discovered because we asked.
    Now she has to make her doctor ask the hospital to test her again.
    This is Denmark.
    Idiots.
    They expect you to believe that? The only sample from the only person in line that day was "accidentally thrown away"? Not buying it.

First Coachella goes virtual, now Burning Man is cancelled and is going virtual.
    It's the Hipocalypse.
    The Burning Man Multiverse in 2020
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    They expect you to believe that? The only sample from the only person in line that day was "accidentally thrown away"? Not buying it.
    Neither am I - but I drove her to the lab, taking the sample took 3 minutes.

did a ZOOM Seder on Wednesday night. I'm not keeping Passover for the 1st time in maybe 30 or more years though.

Sad, but so be it. I am eating up the Matzah I have at least.

We may look for some Ham for Easter, at COSTCO when the wife and I go in a short while.