Page 26 of 235 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    There were paper plates. Imagine wiping your...........nevermind.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I wanted to get a box of saltines and they had one box of unsalted. Will get them later.
    If you lick 'em first salt will stick.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    As this thing hits the Third World it is going to get beyond ugly
    You mean, the rest of the Third World, besides the US.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Well, I finally lost it...Was just in CVS.. Saw a man whose cart was FULL to the brim with hand sanitizers, baby wipes, soaps, everything that people need!! I called him a selfish son of a bitch, and gave him a low down about the elderly, moms, and people who need these types of things. Told him he should be freaking ashamed of himself! He said: “Are you done? Cause I really need to get back to restocking the shelves now.”
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I shopped early afternoon for some fruit, milk, and a couple things we needed for dinner. One such menu item was some steak (which, btw, was bbq'd to perfection ). They had everything on my list, which, albeit, wasn't long. The grocery store has made some adjustments, such as prepacking deli meat. They had the bulk food section cordoned off. The most striking part of the experience for me was the limit of shoppers in the store at any one time, necessitating lining up outside the store, then being let in one at a time as shoppers left. They also had one of the staff sanitizing carts for those coming in.

Things are different out there for sure. Surreal. And worrisome.

Stay safe everyone.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I think it’s a bit early to speculate a series of streamed concerts since that arguably puts at risk the crews/people responsible for making that happen. So my suggestion is to create a thread for each as they come.
    I mean streamed from people’s homes and such. I already have plans to see three shows that have switched from a regular show to some kind of live-streamed event, and I’ve already watched a couple of others.

But I’ll just make individual threads for the interesting ones.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thank you.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    OK. If I read you right. I haven't engaged in any angry rants about politicians. If anyone has been paying attention, they probably know where I stand. I know Dave of Arc does. However, to pretend that this subject can be fully and accurately discussed without discussing what the government, and by extension, the party in power does, and hasn't done, and the egregious lack of response, (I could post a link, this is new information, but it would violate the terms) is to kid oneself. This false equivalency that PE demands is innocuous when it's just business as usual. However, in these times, I think it's a disservice. Nonetheless, I can be a good little trooper, and bow out of this thread at this point.
    I guess it depends on what you think is more important, the dissemination of information about the subject of the thread or the political angle. Do you think CV19 gives a damn whether it's victims are conservative or liberal? I don't understand why sharing information about CV19 needs to be punctuated by political opinions. It makes me question the motivations of those who do it. Are you participating in the thread in the spirit of sharing information or are you here to campaign? It's akin to religious sermonizing or preaching for the sake of counting amens.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    03/11/20 - This our situation with COVID-19:

Costa Rica issues "yellow alert"; the move allows the Costa Rican government to mobilize additional resources to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
    - 22 confirmed cases with people between ages 10-73 years old, including three United States citizens: 18 adults, two seniors and two minors; it's important to note that 16 of these confirmed cases are contacts of the hospitalized patient in a delicate condition, prior to their diagnosis.

Now, my family:
    - We have one daughter on vacation in Australia, she's in Canberra for 18 more days and our son is in Vermont at Stratton Mountain Resort working with the "Working & Travel Program" for one more month: obviously we're concerned about them but we trust their sound judgment and that they put into practice the recommendations given.
    - Finally, it has been 15 days since we came from the Orlando/Fort Lauderdale trip and wife and I feel good, will see: this is like being in a war.

Regards.
    Hello Gang!.
    I hope you're doing well-keeping calm and following the hygienic protocols and government recommendations!!.

Here is our situation today:

- 117 cases of infected people: of the total number of confirmed cases for this Saturday, 10 are foreigners and 107 Costa Ricans and the infected people are between 2 and 87 years of age; in addition, it was reported that 1,190 cases have been ruled out and two deaths of two 87-year-old adults.
    - Recovered patients kept in 2 that are Americans who flew back to the USA.
    - Most of the public places are closed such as parks, restaurants, food courts, etc., and, of course, canceled concerts, no soccer, etc., etc. and there is still no forced curfew, only voluntary isolation or quarantine.

Family:
    - Our daughter is going to stay in Australia.
    - Our son came on thursday night, he is fine and under a "quarantine order for 14 days" in his bedroom.
    - My lovely wife and ugly me are fine too.!

Pura Vida.
    Keep safe, alive and kicking!!.
    Last edited by TCC; 03-22-2020 at 02:56 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

no we know!!

coronavirus-games-of-throne.jpg

You mean, the rest of the Third World, besides the US.
    Shadow, get out of that profile

Family:
    - Our son came on thursday night, he is fine and under a "quarantine order for 14 days" in his bedroom.

Pura Vida.
    In case he complains, tell him that a real quarantine is 40 days, not 14.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 03-22-2020 at 06:09 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Was at Publix a few minutes ago. Not intending to buy TP because to me it's not a matter of life or death. But, what the hell. The store employees were opening huge boxes of TP and handing 'em out willy nilly. I got a pack, and I almost spiked the damn thing on the floor like I scored a touchdown. All this mass hysteria over TP. Imagine all the trees being slaughtered so we can wipe our rear ends.

Ever since the US/Canadian border was closed supplies/groceries seem to be more readily available (we live an hour south of the border).

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Was at Publix a few minutes ago. Not intending to buy TP because to me it's not a matter of life or death. But, what the hell. The store employees were opening huge boxes of TP and handing 'em out willy nilly. I got a pack, and I almost spiked the damn thing on the floor like I scored a touchdown. All this mass hysteria over TP. Imagine all the trees being slaughtered so we can wipe our rear ends.
    You should have recorded your TP celebration. Would have been the closest thing to sports we have anymore.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

That is frightening reading. I think our governments (UK and US) may have been downplaying the severity in an attempt to bolster morale, but it is leading to complacency in behaviour. We all need to take this far more seriously.

Please try to avoid going to grocery stores with short lists. Wait as long as you can and then go. Less trips, less spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't understand why sharing information about CV19 needs to be punctuated by political opinions.
    It's human nature, the way everything seems to be framed in our hyper-partisan world and people are justifiably angry.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, I've been informed that "technically" I'm being terminated from my job, but I'll get it back when this nightmare is over. I have absolutely no idea if I'm gonna be able to get unemployment benefits and everything's just frelled up. My dad is in the hospital to have his gall bladder removed, that means I'm the only person at home to take care of my mother (who has dementia), so I can't go look for work, in the event that I can't get on unemployment.

Hello Gang!.
    I hope you're doing well-keeping calm and following the hygienic protocols and government recommendations!!.

Here is our situation today:

- 117 cases of infected people: of the total number of confirmed cases for this Saturday, 10 are foreigners and 107 Costa Ricans and the infected people are between 2 and 87 years of age; in addition, it was reported that 1,190 cases have been ruled out and two deaths of two 87-year-old adults.
    - Recovered patients kept in 2 that are Americans who flew back to the USA.
    - Most of the public places are closed such as parks, restaurants, food courts, etc., and, of course, canceled concerts, no soccer, etc., etc. and there is still no forced curfew, only voluntary isolation or quarantine.

Family:

Pura Vida.
    Thanks for the update and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, I've been informed that "technically" I'm being terminated from my job, but I'll get it back when this nightmare is over. I have absolutely no idea if I'm gonna be able to get unemployment benefits and everything's just frelled up. My dad is in the hospital to have his gall bladder removed, that means I'm the only person at home to take care of my mother (who has dementia), so I can't go look for work, in the event that I can't get on unemployment.
    As long as you didn't quit you should be able to draw unemployment compensation, at least that's the case in other states.

One day in the not too distant future (I hope) we will look back and tell stories about our personal quarantine, how we bought that stock at the bottom and what it is worth now, how we miss playing those boards games with our family after dinner, and how peaceful it was to sit in our homes with a good book and music and contemplate the world and our neighbors and how everyone was responding to the crisis. At some point this will be a memory and the political debates will continue, unfortunately, with the record of how our Representatives are dealing with this used as cannon fodder for their reelection campaigns.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I mentioned a while back about my brother in law coming in contact with people at his work who tested positive and he got real sick. Been waiting on his test results for 5 days now and were told 3..."backed up" being the response. The testing system is a shitshow and no help to us at all. Since we were all in contact with him, my whole family has been sick. Biggest worry being my Dad who is 78. Been sick since Sunday. Cough, up and down fever, very tired. He was tested Friday, but at this rate we'll expect those results in June. I had a real bad fever for a couple days and a little coughing, headache...uncomfortable as hell but manageable. This thing spread to everyone in my family like a wildfire...amazingly fast! All of us (though my dad is still strugglin a bit) seem to be slowly getting better. Dealt with it on our own. The only help being Tylenol. We'll see what it is eventually. At this point we don't even care other than if it's not Corona, we would still have to worry about getting it. Now that would suck!
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I mentioned a while back about my brother in law coming in contact with people at his work who tested positive and he got real sick. Been waiting on his test results for 5 days now and were told 3..."backed up" being the response. The testing system is a shitshow and no help to us at all. Since we were all in contact with him, my whole family has been sick. Biggest worry being my Dad who is 78. Been sick since Sunday. Cough, up and down fever, very tired. He was tested Friday, but at this rate we'll expect those results in June. I had a real bad fever for a couple days and a little coughing, headache...uncomfortable as hell but manageable. This thing spread to everyone in my family like a wildfire...amazingly fast! All of us (though my dad is still strugglin a bit) seem to be slowly getting better. Dealt with it on our own. The only help being Tylenol. We'll see what it is eventually. At this point we don't even care other than if it's not Corona, we would still have to worry about getting it. Now that would suck!
    That's what you get for not being a celebrity.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Chris, you should be able to get unemployment. Apply right away, like yesterday. Also, don’t be afraid to ask around to find out how someone can help support you taking care of your mother. There should be local resources that can help. Even if not, try joining Nextdoor or some FB group in your neighborhood, explain your situation, and ask for advice. You might be amazed at what might happen. Stay strong!
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I guess it depends on what you think is more important, the dissemination of information about the subject of the thread or the political angle. Do you think CV19 gives a damn whether it's victims are conservative or liberal? I don't understand why sharing information about CV19 needs to be punctuated by political opinions. It makes me question the motivations of those who do it. Are you participating in the thread in the spirit of sharing information or are you here to campaign? It's akin to religious sermonizing or preaching for the sake of counting amens.
    The dissemination of information about the subject has been hampered by incompetent and dishonest political leadership. It is NOT akin to religious sermonizing because this criticism is based on fact not faith. I guess if you were on a ship and the captain was steering towards an iceberg you would accuse those clamoring for his replacement as shamelessly playing politics at a critical time?