Page 48 of 235 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148 ... LastLast
Results 1,176 to 1,200 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

After Easter Denmark re-opens the kindergardens, and 0-5 class school.

Small shops are still supposed to be closed.

All festivals and sports events are closed all summer.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    One thing nobody has yet mentioned: on the other side of this, the vast, vast majority of Americans WILL have a poor credit rating. That's after unavoidably missing rent, mortgage, cellphone, car and other payments. At a minimum, we're going to have to reassess what it means to be credit worthy enough for a new cellphone, cable, an apartment, and buying a home or a car.
    Perhaps. The larger long-term financial concern for the average person, imo, will be "it's time to pay for the soup". I fear the average person will get both tax increases at all levels of govt. (which is understandable, considering) AND health insurance premiums will skyrocket over the next 2 years.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Perhaps. The larger long-term financial concern for the average person, imo, will be "it's time to pay for the soup". I fear the average person will get both tax increases at all levels of govt. (which is understandable, considering) AND health insurance premiums will skyrocket over the next 2 years.
    If only I had the time to become a millionaire and get my taxes cut.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Regardless of whether this was on accident or not, there are powerful forces in the world who now know how to cause havoc anytime they feel it benefits them. We have allowed ourselves to be spooked. <snip> I hope I am wrong, and I'm not saying we need to ignore this. Its just that the door to open germ warfare has now been opened. (accidental or not).
    I don't want to criticize your perspective, but I would at throw a few items out there as food for thought...

Bio/chemical warfare has been around for a century. But releasing a virus "into the wild" is a pretty haphazard way to accomplish political and power goals I would think. Isn't nuclear war - especially considering some of the countries that have the capability - still a much greater global threat to be afraid of? How many similar events to 9/11 have occurred in the last 18 years? We thought at that time to expect other similar attacks.

I think it's okay to be "spooked", especially for us Americans who trend further and further towards gluttony, complacency, and ignorance of the world around them. Hopefully this slap in the face will make us a bit more aware and mindful of things beyond our pocketbooks and ultimately make us better stewards to ourselves and the human race. Long story short, there are growth opportunities here as a culture and global society.

You can hate me for saying it. But its the truth. The evidence shows that we are controllable to the point where this will likely be the new norm.
    I think humans have always been unwitting slaves to their environments - political, geographical, cultural, religious, etc. Most people accept and even embrace the conditions of their birth. And many people live their lives and die while never changing or challenging those conditions.

For example, we live in a society that is driven primarily by the acquisition of wealth. And by wealth, I don't mean being a millionaire. We have accepted that we have to work - often like a drone bee - for 50 years of our lives. It is how we define survival. And many work really hard and, in the end, have little to show financially for their efforts. But we accept that this is our way of life.

But when someone tries to change our norms there is generally a resistance, even when it might be in our best interests. Americans are especially rebellious by nature in this regard when someone 'tells them what to do'.

Anyway, I do not know what will happen. And you may not have a voice, but WE do. I prefer to see the potential positives that can come out of this than worry about the negatives (even though I do both really).
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Find those bootstraps and pull!
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    It occurred to me that since I know one person was wondering I should say something: my boss tested negative after a couple of week of high anxiety. Apparently she had the regular seasonal flu. Great news since she has three kids at home and they can (at least) return to a relatively normal life within the confines of their home.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    The evidence shows that we are controllable to the point where this will likely be the new norm. I hope I am wrong, and I'm not saying we need to ignore this.
    Not so fast there cowboy! Maybe I'm naive, but history also shows that people are willing to fight and even die for their freedom. Please don't misunderstand, I'm not suggesting violence or anything of the sort, but I for one am not willing to stand idly by and passively watch politicians (no matter what stripe) take advantage of such a tragedy, and I have a feeling that I am far from alone.

You might be surprised how elected representatives can be swayed by their constituents calling with the same message, for example. Sometimes it takes tragedy or major upheaval to make progress. In any event, it's far, far too early to reach any post-apocalyptic conclusions.

So cheerio, stiff upper lip and all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    You might be surprised how elected representatives can be swayed by their constituents calling with the same message
    That's the only way change happens. When so-called "representatives" hear a consistent message from the masses, they suddenly learn that their self-preservation is at stake.

And change can happen VERY quickly, as evidenced by the increased acceptance of gay marriage, which happened virtually overnight.

We just have to out-yell the dark forces that are working against real, beneficial change. It won't be easy, but it's certainly doable.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    We just have to out-yell the dark forces....
    Please keep partisan politics out of the discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The government will shrug and say it's just the free market, that darn invisible hand. Congressional types will make anguished noises until they are comforted by campaign contributions from the wealthcare industry.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm not a millionaire and my taxes went up.
    I am paying more now than I did 2 years ago and my deductions are worthless to me.
    I have to increase withholding to keep from paying a penalty.
    Mmmmm. I've lost that Warm Fuzzy Feeling.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

-- Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Please keep partisan politics out of the discussion!
    Truth should never be partisan. But, here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I'm not a millionaire and my taxes went up.
    I am paying more now than I did 2 years ago and my deductions are worthless to me.
    I have to increase withholding to keep from paying a penalty.
    Mmmmm. I've lost that Warm Fuzzy Feeling.
    It's a big club, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    The government will shrug and say it's just the free market, that darn invisible hand. Congressional types will make anguished noises until they are comforted by campaign contributions from the wealthcare industry.
    But the free markets are our saviors! They will only work in the best interests of the people. "People" being defined as shareholders.

There's a vid circling on Facebook among proggers but I can't make it work here. Toyah Willcox posted under the caption Happy #lockdown lunch. Anyhow, she and her husband, some dude named Robert, dance in evening wear in their kitchen. Fripp actually smiles. HE SMILES!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Truth should never be partisan. But, here we are.
    Yep.

^ it's a cute video. Hopefully this link works for people who are logged in to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/toyahoffici...8509465529818/

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    ^ it's a cute video. Hopefully this link works for people who are logged in to Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/toyahoffici...8509465529818/
    Thanks, it works for those of us who have absolutely nothing to do with Facebook.

Really nice to see Mr Toyah smile.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    profiteering by big pharma is why public health care won't work in this country ($900 epi-pens)
    how did they keep big pharma in check in the UK and Canada?
    federally regulated; not just funded, but regulated
    The aforementioned Epipen pricing, and Martin Shkreli illustrate there is no rhyme or reason behind drug pricing. They simply charge as much as they think they can get away with.

This should dispel any myth exorbitant drug prices fund new drug research: the world is in desperate need of new antibiotics. We're on the verge of every single last one of our antibiotics no longer working. Yet, not a single drug company is working on any new antibiotics, because it's impossible to make billions in profit on a drug people take 3 times a day for 10 days. The drug companies would rather sell Parkinson's meds to people with tingly legs, or powerful schizophrenia meds to people with simple depression. Instead of demanding the drug companies start putting their money where their mouths are and acting responsibly, we the world have simply resigned ourselves to idea we're about to enter a post-antibiotic world...a world in which death by infection is once again commonplace.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

When we first started trying to clean the basement of black mold and scrape up asbestos floor tiles in the early 00s, my wife got a couple face masks. My April project is to get the basement reorganized, we had a flood in the fall and now I've got time to get it all straightened out. What do I find but two N95 masks. Not sterile of course but I'll try my best to clean them up. They have metal strips in the nose area so it's not like I can put them in the microwave. Maybe the dishwasher?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    ^^^ Clean them by hand with woolite or something similar and then use a hot iron! That will get them hot as hell and steam them clean. My wife works in a hospital and that's how we're cleaning our home-made masks. Caveat - if the old masks are not in great shape or have the start of dry-rot they may not hold up to ironing.

<edit> On second thought, I'm not sure N95's will hold up to this treatment like ordinary cloth masks, but maybe they will. Also if your'e looking to disinfect I also don't know other than using vaporized hydrogen peroxide, which some hospitals use on equipment in general and some are using on N95s as well I'm told...
    Last edited by Buddhabreath; 04-07-2020 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Thanks, it works for those of us who have absolutely nothing to do with Facebook.

Really nice to see Mr Toyah smile.

it takes His Frippness Chuckles Toyah to actually dress up and dance to Rock Around The Clock.

... and long live to a FB-less life.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When we first started trying to clean the basement of black mold and scrape up asbestos floor tiles in the early 00s, my wife got a couple face masks. My April project is to get the basement reorganized, we had a flood in the fall and now I've got time to get it all straightened out. What do I find but two N95 masks. Not sterile of course but I'll try my best to clean them up. They have metal strips in the nose area so it's not like I can put them in the microwave. Maybe the dishwasher?
    I heard from a radio blurb that “maybe” a very hot blow dryer can kill the germs, but you’ll need to investigate that further.

I have been told that 70% Isopropanol will do the trick. We have some but I should get it into a spray bottle.

I would ditch the used face masks that you wore cleaning up black mold.
    That stuff is nasty and these aren't germs but invisible spores and I wouldn't risk breathing through those masks.
    If you develop a respiratory infection or compromise your lungs from breathing old spores from these masks, it might put both of you at an increased risk.
    Please please don't reuse those masks.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth
    I think humans have always been unwitting slaves to their environments - political, geographical, cultural, religious, etc. Most people accept and even embrace the conditions of their birth. And many people live their lives and die while never changing or challenging those conditions.

But when someone tries to change our norms there is generally a resistance, even when it might be in our best interests. Americans are especially rebellious by nature in this regard when someone 'tells them what to do'.
    For example, the American Civil War. I to this day have friends and family members who insist that this was a war over "states rights" and not slavery. It was a conflict fought by the abject poor supporting an institution (slavery) that practically guaranteed their continued poverty while vaguely hinting at some form of reward for enlistment