Page 20 of 235 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Not the most important thing, but now that your retirement account is down 30%+ and probably at least going to be down 60%, do you have to work longer if you will still have a job?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Are federal offices open? I have an appointment at one. Typically, you can't reach anyone there by phone. So I guess I just show up at my appointment time and see what happens? 60 mile round trip. Can't be postponed, as time is of the essence.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Not the most important thing, but now that your retirement account is down 30%+ and probably at least going to be down 60%, do you have to work longer if you will still have a job?
    If the market doesn’t recover then yes!

Federal employees have been bitching on social media that there has been no provision made for working from home so my guess is yeah, they are still open.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My kids are distance runners. I mention this because I often- or used to- go to letsrun.com, a large distance running board. But it has become toxic, as PE never has. Here is a link- you can see exactly how many posts- on a running board- are about the virus, how vile the posts can be and how the mods refuse to do anything about it. What is on this board (PE) is superb. https://www.letsrun.com/forum
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

CDC says to avoid ibuprofen .

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-recommends-to-avoid-taking-ibuprofen-for-covid-19-symptoms/amp

NBC has a link saying health experts say ibuprofen is okay.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/should-you-be-worried-about-taking-ibuprofen-coronavirus-no-experts-n1162816

Ugh....

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    ^^^ There's bound to be conflicting information like on ibuprofen. I'd suggest, pour yourself a gin and tonic, and search for more opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    ^^^ There's bound to be conflicting information like on ibuprofen. I'd suggest, pour yourself a gin and tonic, and search for more opinions.
    Best advice I’ve heard all day 👍👍

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    CDC says to avoid ibuprofen .

https://www.sciencealert.com/who-rec...9-symptoms/amp

NBC has a link saying health experts say ibuprofen is okay.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...perts-n1162816

Ugh....
    In Denmark there are warnings against ibuprofen if you suspect you have corona.
    Use paracetamol or aspirin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Federal employees have been bitching on social media that there has been no provision made for working from home so my guess is yeah, they are still open.
    I've been working from home since yesterday.
    We started planning 2 weeks ago and started implementing on Monday.
    A couple of people are still in the office on a rotating schedule. I'm in IT so we need to provide some level on on site support.
    The Court has shut down for almost all public access. Trials postponed.
    The issue has been providing enough ad-hoc teleconferencing for Judges to do hearings. Sometimes there are 3 or 4 participants, sometimes 20 or more.
    We can do it from courtrooms but from home is another matter.
    Most of the Judges were dead set against regular telework. Things changed rapidly.
    Lucky for us, we (IT) have been setting workers up for remote work for a couple of years. It was mostly lack of will that was keeping it from happening.
    Some Districts have been all in for years. Some have had to do some scrambling to enable the staff.
    The executive branch had been pulling back on telecommuting over the last year or so. Each branch is different, and each agency is too. Not all functions can be carried out remotely.
    No excuses for those folks.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I need a doctor - you're employed

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    France also stated this while UK was still saying Ibuprofen was ok. UK has now said avoid ibuprofen and use paracetamol instead, the only problem there is the shelves are empty here. I would go with the paracetamol advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    According to the article WHO is reported to have said that.
    The CDC website has nothing about Ibuprofen and Covid-19, for or against.
    The WHO website has only warnings about ibuprofen and Dengue fever and Ebola, not Covid-19.

I went to the source and checked.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

It doesn't matter whether it's recommended or not, Tylenol or generic is best for reducing fever and aches and pains, whereas Ibuprophen's best trait is for reducing inflammation.
    If I have a sinus headache or aches, I reach for Tylenol cause Ibuprofen never helps with that.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Too short a time for turnaround for a letter, and their website has nothing and no means of online contact, possibly not updated in years. Guess I'll find out by showing up for my appointment. I heard the governor's entire coronavirus speech yesterday, but he made no mention of federal offices.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    My kids are distance runners. I mention this because I often- or used to- go to letsrun.com, a large distance running board. But it has become toxic, as PE never has. Here is a link- you can see exactly how many posts- on a running board- are about the virus, how vile the posts can be and how the mods refuse to do anything about it. What is on this board (PE) is superb. https://www.letsrun.com/forum
    I'm a HS distance coach, and not meeting with my runners and this whole hysteria is unprecedented. The top boys are getting their training in, but the new kids are suffering during this period of growth. Hope your kids are handling the changes well. Ya, letsrun.com has it negative sides for sure.

How many postal employees get to work from home? How many banks are shutting down? How much choice do these workers have? Or grocery store employees? What will be their percentage of infection compared to other businesses? Living in fear of a non symptomatic carrier coming to their window or waiting on them at their home. Delivering a package or a certified letter that needs signing for. What are their options? I'm not hearing anything about them being able to self isolate. Does the word sacrifice apply here?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    is paracetamol the same as Tylenol/acetaminophen?

also, has anyone else heard of the supposed correlation between blood type and susceptibility?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    is paracetamol the same as Tylenol/acetaminophen?

also, has anyone else heard of the supposed correlation between blood type and susceptibility?
    Paracetamol is the active component, it is sold under many names, which I am sure are different in USA and Denmark.

Acetylsalicylic acid is the other possibility (which I prefer) its generally sold as Aspirin (but not i Denmark).
    Aspirin works better, has good sideeffects, but also for some people bad sideeffects, especially babies. Thats why Paracetamol has become much more popular - although its poisonous in large dozes (10 tablets at the time can kill you or handicap you - has been a teenager problem).

Ibubrofen works good for some but has lots of negative sideeffects for others. Skin problems, etc. My wifes intestines bleed !

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    How many postal employees get to work from home? How many banks are shutting down? How much choice do these workers have? Or grocery store employees? What will be their percentage of infection compared to other businesses? Living in fear of a non symptomatic carrier coming to their window or waiting on them at their home. Delivering a package or a certified letter that needs signing for. What are their options? I'm not hearing anything about them being able to self isolate. Does the word sacrifice apply here?
    FedEx is no longer requiring a signature for deliveries. I suspect the other carriers will start to do the same.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    FedEx is no longer requiring a signature for deliveries. I suspect the other carriers will start to do the same.
    Just an elbow bump.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Air fist bump.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I actually had a package delivered by FedEx yesterday and was a bit amused that for once, I'd actually be here to sign for the damned thing But the delivery guy set down the package, rang the bell and did some serious Chariots of Fire cosplay because by the time I walked the 10 feet to my door he was already driving away.

It's fine by me, dok's point is very apt...folks like the carriers, factory workers and other infrastructure can't be at home for what they do. We all owe them a mad debt for keeping things afloat.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Big cuts are expected in medical research. What does it take to open people's eyes.