Page 140 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4090130136137138139140141142143144150190 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    How is the panedemic impacting your mental health and social life?

I'm feeling shut in an isoloted at times. Not from my family but my social network and just interacting with people in general. I had a tradition of prog nights with 4 good friends where each person takes turn introducing their favourite tracks and why they like it, and we generally just blast music! We have a pizza dinner in advance. I loved these events and miss them very much.
    I prefer teleworking but miss the social side of working with colleagues. Still technology (Skype, MS Teams and Zoom) so an amazing job for communcating and advancing work. I'm also thankful to have steady employment and feel bad so those who don't.

I refuse to do inside dining and still order out. Don't think this will change.

Overall, just getting tired of it! Realize this is a very long term pandemic so we all have to get creative.
    You raise an interesting point, Greg. I think it really comes down, to everyone's individual circumstances and general personality traits. I've been very fortunate, as I wasn't socializing a ton, before the pandemic hit. I didn't work form April to October, but got by on government money and really enjoyed my summer, doing lots of bicycling, swimming in my pool, and visiting the cottage...all activities that didn't require interacting with anyone. I also have a lot of hobbies, so that keeps me busy. And I was really lucky to get called back to work, just as the government money was winding down.

The only thing I really miss is live concerts and band rehearsals. And, at least for the moment, two of the bands I'm in, have begun socially distanced, Covid safety measured, rehearsals again...at least for now.

So, I'm fortunate to not be feeling much fatigue from the situation. I can only imagine how difficult it is, for people who are not working, are shut inside small apartments all day, or are very social by nature. It must be really tough.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Well they have just this morning announced a job support (furlough) package extending from the end of November though to the end of March.
    Must be nice to have a government that actually tries.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Must be nice to have a government that actually tries.
    Believe me I’m no fan of them, but in comparison they may be better than some, and here I’m thinking of only two countries that are worse. However our numbers are absolutely awful, they have been late to the decision point each and every time, and it has cost many lives.

How is the panedemic impacting your mental health and social life?.
    I’m frustrated to be back under these measures, although I understand the need. My partner and I have five kids between us, four of who are away at different Universities, and each with a different experience. My youngest daughter feels very isolated, and FaceTime keeps us connected daily as I try to keep her spirits up. My eldest daughter is at work, and so this keeps her occupied and sane, but she’s likely to be furloughed again as she works at the airport. My partners daughter has had Covid this term, she’s ok, she never had a symptom. Her two boys are doing ok, but one is chomping at the bit to get out and enjoy some sport, but it’s all been put on hold again. The other is in Germany and they do things better than us.

I’m only 50% busy with work, the rest of the day I’m reading, listening to music, playing guitar / bass. I’ve nothing to complain about really. My partner is so busy, she’s working 14 hours each day on zoom calls, but we are at home together, safe and secure. It’s cool really, but I look forward to travelling again when this is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Believe me I’m no fan of them, but in comparison they may be better than some, and here I’m thinking of only two countries that are worse. However our numbers are absolutely awful, they have been late to the decision point each and every time, and it has cost many lives.

One day there will be an inquiry into how the government has handled the pandemic. And you can be sure it won't report before the next general election.
    BBTPatron

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Tuesday I woke up dizzy. Felt like I had severe water head. Ears fluttered every time I spoke, chest felt tight. The real trouble with this type of flu is that it invites bacterial infection. I remembered I had an amoxicillin prescription from a tooth extraction about 2 months ago that I never used and started taking it. Day three of taking the amoxicillin and I no longer need cough suppressants, can take deep breaths and haven't used antihistamines to breathe in over 24 hours. I'm still only about 75% but feeling better today than I have all week.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

I guess I'm different than most, but the main things that are effecting my mental health is worrying about getting it/vulnerable members of my family getting it. Even with numbers steadily increasing for the past two months, my state has done nothing to curb the rise, and things are still opening/progressing forward in the coming weeks. Shortly, when this happens, I won't feel comfortable around my parents (who are both in a high risk group) which means that we will be separated for the approaching holidays. During the quarantine part of this, my social group actually saw much more of each other, albeit virtually. Now that everyone is working again, we haven't had a zoom game night, or movie night, or any activity night since May. Not much is open to do (and much less is open to do that I feel comfortable doing), so haven't seen much of them, and with it getting colder out and unable to go to parks and other open spaces, I suspect I'll be seeing alot less of them over the winter. I do have a roommate, so I do have some connection to someone, so I at least remember how to talk and do basic motor skill things.

It just makes me sad that once upon a time, my state was one of the better ones in the country, and now that it's been this long I guess we just don't care anymore. But no one seems to care anymore. Sorry to get political, but its clear from election night here in America, that the majority of the country doesn't give a shit about the pandemic either, so I only expect it to get worse before it gets better. Yay.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I feel very fortunate to have a spouse that I enjoy spending time with. That has helped me a lot! I am a social creature and don't like being alone, so this would be much harder on me if I was single. I feel quite comfortable being with friends and family outside and socially distanced, so I was able to spend some time (although not a lot) with friends and family over the summer. That is going to be much harder to do very soon when winter hits and being outside is going to be uncomfortable. I am not comfortable with indoor dining or visiting friends indoors, although I do spend time with certain family members indoors, but from a distance. We are having an unseasonably warm week right now with highs of 19C. I've booked some days off work to take advantage of the weather while I can. And we're meeting a couple of friends for brunch in their backyard on Sunday. That may be the last outdoor social event until next spring, as the warm spell is forecasted to end on Wednesday.

During the winter, we normally spend a lot of time at hockey (GO LEAFS!) and lacrosse (GO ROCK!) games and going to live concerts and theatre with friends and family, all of which have been cancelled. So winter is going to be lonely and difficult, I think. I'm very thankful for social media and apps like Zoom and Teams which keep us connected to all of our friends.

I also suffer from SAD, which I suspect is going to be particularly difficult for my emotional health this winter. I'm basically already counting down the days until spring and the next changing of the clocks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Tuesday I woke up dizzy. Felt like I had severe water head. Ears fluttered every time I spoke, chest felt tight. The real trouble with this type of flu is that it invites bacterial infection. I remembered I had an amoxicillin prescription from a tooth extraction about 2 months ago that I never used and started taking it. Day three of taking the amoxicillin and I no longer need cough suppressants, can take deep breaths and haven't used antihistamines to breathe in over 24 hours. I'm still only about 75% but feeling better today than I have all week.
    I'm glad you found something to help you. I had a pneumonia vaccination a few years ago, so I'm hopeful that if I catch this asshole of a virus it will help. Hopefully, a few more days will get you closer to 100%. Thanks for checking in. I've been thinking about you. Please keep in touch either here or through Facebook Messenger to let me know how you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Denmark is the world leading exporter/producer of mink fur. 'we' export for about 1 billion dollars every year (mainly to China).

Mink gets infected with covid-19 too it appears, but worse, the virus mutates, and has turned into a new strain, which is so different from the original, that authorities fear 'coming vaccines' wont work if this strain infects people (it allready has, but not many).

Result - the government have now decided that every single mink in this country is to be killed and destroyed.
    The whole business will be eradicated, and the about 100 years the farmers have spent to breed these mink (very high quality), is wasted, and will take decades to get back.
    The farmers are somewhat compensated economically, but their land/farms are worth nothing now, and the farmers are out of business for good and jobless.

One can have mixed feelings towards this particular business, but what will be next ?

Our pets ?
    The fact Denmark is willing to destroy such a highly valuable asset for health and safety, whereas half in the US believe all health concerns should be sacrificed for the economy speaks volumes. Weren't there a few years when national and international polls showed Denmark to be the happiest country on earth?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The fact Denmark is willing to destroy such a highly valuable asset for health and safety, whereas half in the US believe all health concerns should be sacrificed for the economy speaks volumes. Weren't there a few years when national and international polls showed Denmark to be the happiest country on earth?
    Yes, but the poll was called into question, because they didn't ask the minks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I guess I'm different than most, but the main things that are effecting my mental health is worrying about getting it/vulnerable members of my family getting it. Even with numbers steadily increasing for the past two months, my state has done nothing to curb the rise, and things are still opening/progressing forward in the coming weeks. Shortly, when this happens, I won't feel comfortable around my parents (who are both in a high risk group) which means that we will be separated for the approaching holidays. During the quarantine part of this, my social group actually saw much more of each other, albeit virtually. Now that everyone is working again, we haven't had a zoom game night, or movie night, or any activity night since May. Not much is open to do (and much less is open to do that I feel comfortable doing), so haven't seen much of them, and with it getting colder out and unable to go to parks and other open spaces, I suspect I'll be seeing alot less of them over the winter. I do have a roommate, so I do have some connection to someone, so I at least remember how to talk and do basic motor skill things.

It just makes me sad that once upon a time, my state was one of the better ones in the country, and now that it's been this long I guess we just don't care anymore. But no one seems to care anymore. Sorry to get political, but its clear from election night here in America, that the majority of the country doesn't give a shit about the pandemic either, so I only expect it to get worse before it gets better. Yay.
    Nothing in your post was political, IMHO.

This will be the first time in many years that I will not be driving across the state to see family for Thanksgiving. That's the only time we see them. No choice, though.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Keep taking care of yourself, Todd!

Relax and hydrate.
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post

I also suffer from SAD, which I suspect is going to be particularly difficult for my emotional health this winter. I'm basically already counting down the days until spring and the next changing of the clocks.
    One of my best friends suffers from SAD. Hang in there!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

One of my best friends suffers from SAD. Hang in there!
    Thank you. Symptoms haven't set in yet, but I've already started the steps I take to treat it, hoping to get ahead of it.

Denmark is the world leading exporter/producer of mink fur. 'we' export for about 1 billion dollars every year (mainly to China).

Mink gets infected with covid-19 too it appears, but worse, the virus mutates, and has turned into a new strain, which is so different from the original, that authorities fear 'coming vaccines' wont work if this strain infects people (it allready has, but not many).

Result - the government have now decided that every single mink in this country is to be killed and destroyed...
    I saw this on the news this morning. I hope this helps to end an inhumane industry.

The fur industry aside, it's a little scary to hear about the mutation.

The fur industry aside, it's a little scary to hear about the mutation.
    Yes, and it shows the Danish Government is considering the entire world, not just their own population. Imagine that in this day and age.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Nothing in your post was political, IMHO.

This will be the first time in many years that I will not be driving across the state to see family for Thanksgiving. That's the only time we see them. No choice, though.
    That's fair. But I mentioned the election and then expressed an opinion, and I know that kind of stuff is frowned upon here. So I thought a little preface was appropriate.

And yeah. I do hope more people take care for the upcoming holidays but I know I know better than to have that hope.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Yes, and it shows the Danish Government is considering the entire world, not just their own population. Imagine that in this day and age.
    I think they are considering our reputation first.
    We dont want to be a called a new Wuhan (no matter how unlikely that is).

No humans has been hospitalized with this new strain (yet).

Update:
    A Danish professor who works with vaccines claims, that the vaccine he is working on, would also work on the mink-variation, because it turns on some different handles.

https://politiken.dk/viden/Viden/art...minkmutationen

I that case killing 17 million minks and destroying an industry that earns 1 billion dollars a year, seems a bit hasty.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 11-06-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

And yeah. I do hope more people take care for the upcoming holidays but I know I know better than to have that hope.
    Canadian Thanksgiving is the 2nd Monday in October so we've had ours here. We usually celebrate with my in-laws but we chose to skip it this year. I bought a turkey breast and my husband and I had our own small dinner just for fun. Which was fine with me. I'm not a huge fan of my in-laws and it was a lot less work.

I'm not a huge fan of my in-laws and it was a lot less work.

I think they are considering our reputation first.
    We dont want to be a called a new Wuhan (no matter how unlikely that is).

No humans has been hospitalized with this new strain (yet).

Update:
    A Danish professor who works with vaccines claims, that the vaccine he is working on, would also work on the mink-variation, because it turns on some different handles.

https://politiken.dk/viden/Viden/art...minkmutationen

I that case killing 17 million minks and destroying an industry that earns 1 billion dollars a year, seems a bit hasty.
    Whatever the motivation, it's a far cry from Bolsonaro slashing and burning the Amazon, the lungs of the earth.

Got told that someone in my office tested positive. Just got back from getting a test, I can't return until I get a negative result. My wife and I have tried our best to dodge the COVID bullet (no in person eating at restaurants, etc.). This is the third positive case at my office, but the first time it was someone who I may have interacted with, hence triggering the requirement to get tested. Got the rapid and regular test, should have a result with 24 hours.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Got told that someone in my office tested positive. Just got back from getting a test, I can't return until I get a negative result. My wife and I have tried our best to dodge the COVID bullet (no in person eating at restaurants, etc.). This is the third positive case at my office, but the first time it was someone who I may have interacted with, hence triggering the requirement to get tested. Got the rapid and regular test, should have a result with 24 hours.
    Good luck!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptrick View Post
    Good luck! Keep us posted.
    Regards,

Duncan