Page 123 of 133 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127 ... LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,075 of 3315

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm watching.....War Of The Colossal Beast.
    Yep. One of the better sci-fis. The first one was just OK but this one is much better. Which reminds me, I’ve not seen the Shrinking Man in some time.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Which reminds me, I’ve not seen the Shrinking Man in some time.
    It's almost criminal that such a great movie is rarely on TV.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Well, FETV has dropped Mannix from their schedule, and replaced it with Quincy ME. Watched the first two episodes, pretty good so far. I think I haven't seen Quincy since the 90's, maybe even the 80's.

Quincy is a great show.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

June Lockhart, Donna Mills, William Daniels and Robert Foxworth on last night's Quincy.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, FETV has dropped Mannix from their schedule, and replaced it with Quincy ME. Watched the first two episodes, pretty good so far. I think I haven't seen Quincy since the 90's, maybe even the 80's.
    I watched that series in the 70s. Good series. Jack Klugman was great. Hell of a transition from Oscar Madison.

^^ I would compare it to Ed Asner transitioning from the Mary Tyler Moore Show to the dramatic series Lou Grant. The difference being in this case, it was the same character.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I watched that series in the 70s. Good series. Jack Klugman was great. Hell of a transition from Oscar Madison.
    Somehow I'd completely forgotten that it started out as part of the Sunday Mystery Movie series along with Columbo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Somehow I'd completely forgotten that it started out as part of the Sunday Mystery Movie series along with Columbo, etc.
    I didn't know that either. Wikipedia says the first season, Quincy episodes were around 80 minutes, for that reason, but when they aired in syndication they were edited down to 40 minutes. Makes you wonder how much action one's missing with such a heavy editing job.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    ^^ I would compare it to Ed Asner transitioning from the Mary Tyler Moore Show to the dramatic series Lou Grant. The difference being in this case, it was the same character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave In MA
    I would compare it to Ed Asner transitioning from the Mary Tyler Moore Show to the dramatic series Lou Grant. The difference being in this case, it was the same character.
    Good actors are equally adept at comedy and drama. There's lots of people who crossed that line, like Ossie Davis, Leslie Nielsen, Kevin Kline, etc.

I didn't know that either. Wikipedia says the first season, Quincy episodes were around 80 minutes, for that reason, but when they aired in syndication they were edited down to 40 minutes. Makes you wonder how much action one's missing with such a heavy editing job.
    I don't think that's what happened.
    The standard NBC Mystery Movie format was a rotating "wheel" series of different shows that took up a 90 minute programming slot on a rotating basis, but no show actually ran for 90 minutes. They decided after one season to produce Quincy as a weekly hour long show, and hour long shows never actually had 60 minute episodes. Allowances were made for ads.

Wikipedia must have received an edit since you last checked:

Quincy was originally broadcast as 90-minute telefilms as part of the NBC Sunday Mystery Movie rotation in the autumn of 1976, alongside Columbo, McCloud and McMillan (formerly McMillan & Wife). The series proved popular enough that after four episodes of Quincy, M.E. had aired during the 1976–1977 season in the extended format, Quincy was spun off into its own weekly one-hour series without a typical 60-minute pilot. Instead, a two-hour episode kicked off a thirteen-episode shortened run of the series, which concluded the 1976–1977 season, while the Mystery Movie format was discontinued in the spring of 1977.

I don't think that's what happened.
    The standard NBC Mystery Movie format was a rotating "wheel" series of different shows that took up a 90 minute programming slot on a rotating basis, but no show actually ran for 90 minutes. They decided after one season to produce Quincy as a weekly hour long show, and hour long shows never actually had 60 minute episodes. Allowances were made for ads.
    So wait a minute, you're saying they took a regular one hour drama and aired it in a 90 minute time slot, with extra commercials? Diabolical!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruno
    Wikipedia must have received an edit since you last checked:

Actually, it wasn't Wikipedia:
    Quote Originally Posted by IDMB
    Many of the episodes that aired as part of the "NBC Mystery Movie" were edited down from 88 minutes in length to roughly 44 minutes in length when the show went into reruns in syndication.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    The standard NBC Mystery Movie format was a rotating "wheel" series of different shows that took up a 90 minute programming slot on a rotating basis
    Quincy was the last show in that rotation. NBC dismissed the Mystery of the Week but kept Quincy.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Quincy is a great show.
    We talked about Quincy right here a few months ago. I said at the time it was a great show for a few seasons, before it became topical. Forensic sleuth Quincy = grade A TV. Soapbox Quincy = grade b- TV.

The show's premise (forensic science sleuth) is one of TVs more original ideas, but without Klugman it's not a hit. No one could go from chill to intense faster than Klugman. Quincy (the premise) is innovative and very influential; hell, what TV crime drama shows doesn't include forensics in their repertoire?

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Which reminds me, I’ve not seen the Shrinking Man in some time.
    Another fine product from the incredible mind of Richard Matheson.

Buddy Hackett and JoAnn Pflug on tonight/last night's Quincy. This was the two parter (though I think it must have actually aired as a movie originally, because the credits on both episodes were exactly the same, including listing actors who appeared in one, but not the other, episode) that announced Quincy being separated from the NBC Mystery Movie deal.

Also, on one of yesterday's Adam 12 reruns, Malloy and Reed pull over a motorcyclist played by Regina Parton. I thought she looked familiar, so I looked her up on IMDB. She mainly worked as a stunt performer, working in numerous TV shows and movies, including The Love Bug, The Black Hole and both Cannonball Run movies. So I saw her work in a lot of things, but never actually saw her face, ya know. Anyway, the reason they pulled her over was she was dressed in a fashion that matched a suspect they were looking for following a movie theater robbery. So later, the guys actually do catch the thief, who ends up skidding off his bike. I wonder if Ms. Parton didn't perform that stunt as well.

Also, on one of yesterday's Adam 12 reruns, Malloy and Reed pull over a motorcyclist played by Regina Parton......
    I recall an episode in which Malloy and Reed pulled over a teenage girl on a bicycle, pedaling 40MPH in a 25MPH residential zone. She couldn't believe how fast she was going, simply saying "Wow!" Is it the same episode?
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    I recall an episode in which Malloy and Reed pulled over a teenage girl on a bicycle, pedaling 40MPH in a 25MPH residential zone. She couldn't believe how fast she was going, simply saying "Wow!" Is it the same episode?
    No, Regina wasn't on a bicycle, she was on a motorcycle. A guy had ripped off a movie theater, and the description of the jacket he was wearing, the helmet, and the bike matched the one Regina was riding, hence, she got pulled over.

Hey I'm watching.....Good Times......JJ.....DYNOMITE!!!!!

I forgot to mention in that Quincy two parter, the one with Buddy Hackett, there's a couple scenes in a hotel lounge with a most interesting band, with two bassists (one right hand, the other left handed) playing what appear to be matching Fender Precision basses. Now that by itself is...odd, but what's even odder is one of them is doing the Danny Bonaduce maneuver, i.e. strumming the strings as if to suggest he's playing guitar chords. What? The band is shown doing a dreadful disco arrangement of Dancing In The Streets, and i forget what the other song was. And then in the third scene, they're playing an instrumental. Really?

Yesterday's Quincy had Pernell Roberts in it, somewhere in between playing Adam Cartwright, and Trapper John M.D.

Today's Quincy had Susanne Rogers. I'm sitting here thinking she looks sort of familiar, but I couldn't peg it. So I checked Wikipedia. For the last 50 years (literally exactly 50 years, her first appearance, so says Wikipedia was August 20, 1973), she's played Maggie Horton on Days Of Our Lives.

OH yeah, and the other day, there was an Adam 12 with Edy Williams, Larry Hovis, and Laurette Spang. You guys probably remember Larry Hovis from Hogan's Heroes and/or his regular 70's era game show appearances. Laurette Spang played Cassiopeia on Battlestar Gallactica. Edy Williams was in a lot of B-movies, exploitation flicks, and TV shows. Probably the two best known pictures he was in are Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls and The Happy Hooker Goes To Washington.

Hey I'm watching.....Good Times......JJ.....DYNOMITE!!!!!
    I liked that show until they killed off James Evans (John Amos).

OH yeah, and that Quincy that had Pernell Roberts, in a very small role, with like two lines, was a young Jamie Lee Curtis. Quincy is looking for a woman who's asked him to look into the murder of her stepmother, and the woman's place of business, which I think was like a dress shop or something like that. Quincy opens a set of curtains, behind which Ms. Curtis is changing, and she gives the usual disgruntled female response that you'd expect. Then a little later, we see her again, when she says something like "You're a creep!" to Quincy. I guess you gotta start somewhere, even if your parents are famous, and your mom was in one of the definitive suspense pictures (that's what Psycho is, isn't it? I mean, it's not really a horror movie, is it? Not sure what else to call it, anyway, it's one of my personal favourites).

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Quincy is a great show.
    It’s a good show but maybe, Mission Impossible or The Fugitive instead?
    The older I get, the better I was.