Page 61 of 133 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571111 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,525 of 3315

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    The Decades network did a Mannix binge a couple of weekends ago. Now I know how Neal Morse felt.
    Score by Lalo Schifrin which just became an earworm. A good one though.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Already mentioned a few posts back. The Naked Gun precursor TV series Police Squad! (In Color) always seemed to borrow heavily from the Quinn Martin oeuvre, as well as borrowing directly from the old M-Squad series.
    Yeah, the whole thing in the opening credits, with the announcer giving us the name of the show, the stars, guest stars, and episode title was lifted directly out of the QM playbook. Police Squad! (In Color) was a great show. I loved the gag of killing off the guest star during the opening credits. I also loved the inclusion of "Rex Harrison as Abraham Lincoln" gag, with him returning gunfire to John Wilkes Booth.

I recall one episode had a plot that involved a kidnapping, where they thought at first the victim was being held somewhere near the dock, because they heard maritime bells and foghorns on the tape of the ransom demand phone call. They eventually figured out it was a tuba, the bell was the thing at the gas station that your car goes over to tell the attendant there's someone waiting for service (do they even have that at gas stations anymore?). So they went looking for gas stations near tuba teachers or something stupid like that.

I read once some executive at ABC said the show got cancelled because you actually had to pay attention to get most of the jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, the whole thing in the opening credits, with the announcer giving us the name of the show, the stars, guest stars, and episode title was lifted directly out of the QM playbook. Police Squad! (In Color) was a great show. I loved the gag of killing off the guest star during the opening credits. I also loved the inclusion of "Rex Harrison as Abraham Lincoln" gag, with him returning gunfire to John Wilkes Booth.

I recall one episode had a plot that involved a kidnapping, where they thought at first the victim was being held somewhere near the dock, because they heard maritime bells and foghorns on the tape of the ransom demand phone call. They eventually figured out it was a tuba, the bell was the thing at the gas station that your car goes over to tell the attendant there's someone waiting for service (do they even have that at gas stations anymore?). So they went looking for gas stations near tuba teachers or something stupid like that.

I read once some executive at ABC said the show got cancelled because you actually had to pay attention to get most of the jokes.
    Also the gag that the spoken episode title never matched the on-screen title. And the freeze-frame at the end.

I heard that it was cancelled because they thought it would 'do the biz' as a film.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Apparently there's been talk of rebooting the Police Squad/Naked Gun franchise.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Naked_Gun#Future
    I have complete trust in Hollywood's ability to screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Also the gag that the spoken episode title never matched the on-screen title. And the freeze-frame at the end.

I heard that it was cancelled because they thought it would 'do the biz' as a film.
    I don't know what that phrase means, but the movie came out 6 years after the show was cancelled.

I don't know what that phrase means, but the movie came out 6 years after the show was cancelled.
    I think I made it up. Does 'boffo box office' work for you?

Apparently there was an attempt to stitch together bits of the TV show into a film, and some extra scenes were shot before it was abandoned.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    I think I made it up. Does 'boffo box office' work for you?

Apparently there was an attempt to stitch together bits of the TV show into a film, and some extra scenes were shot before it was abandoned.
    They replicated a lot of gags from Police Squad in Naked Gun.

They replicated a lot of gags from Police Squad in Naked Gun.
    That's true, I know in one of the movies they reused the "Little Italy" gag, where you see the Roman Coliseum in through the rear window of Lt Drebin's car. Can't remember what else was reused. It's been so long since seen the first and second movies (never did see the third), I mainly just remember the business at the baseball game in the first one. "I must kill the Queen!". Oh yeah, and there was a gag where he's climbing along the ledge of a building, and he yanks on the phallus of a gargoyle on the side of the building (note the look on the gargoyle's face) which breaks off in his hand as he flies into a room, which leads to him being charged with "assaulting a bystander with a dildo" or something like that.

BTW, according to Wikipedia, they did film some new footage with the intent of making movies out of the six episodes of the series. Make sense, they'd did that with a lot of other short lived shows during the 70's. But apparently, they ditched the idea after filming some of the new linking scenes, which I guess turned up on a DVD release soemwhere.

One of my favorite gags from Police Squad was when detective Al (a tall guy whose head was always above frame) approachs Drebin and Hocken (in the office) who notice something on his face and brings it to his attention by saying, "Hey, uh, you got something..." while pointing to their mouth, then say, "No the other other side..." then an entire banana falls to the desk.

Watching a really stoned episode of the 3 stooges in Mexico. Moe just called a local a tamale.....

I think it's funny.

And Curly is a matador.....hysterical

Watching a campy, black and white, horror film called.....Cult of The Cobra.

I knew someone would find it

Not exactly how I remembered it but yeah, funny bit. I don't know if this bit was ever in one of the movies.

There was also an episode where Drebin went undercover as a standup comedian. They did a montage of Drebin on stage going from joke to joke but just the punchlines (with audience laughter). One of the punchlines was "then he says, 'I doubt I can do that 67 more times'." My parents had no why idea what I was laughing at.

One of my favorite gags from Police Squad was when detective Al (a tall guy whose head was always above frame) approachs Drebin and Hocken (in the office) who notice something on his face and brings it to his attention by saying, "Hey, uh, you got something..." while pointing to their mouth, then say, "No the other other side..." then an entire banana falls to the desk.
    Al was played by 1969 second round NBA draft pick Tiny Ron Taylor. Tiny Ron would later play Maihar'du, Grand Negus Zek's bodyguard on Star Trek: Deep Space 9.

Watching an old B&W film titled....Curse of The Undead.

Watching ...She-Wolf of London.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching ...She-Wolf of London.
    June Lockhart sure was a cutey in her day. The movie is kinda whack though. I'm sure it sounded like a unique twist on the theme at the time but ultimately feels like a bait and switch. Good idea, botched execution.

June Lockhart sure was a cutey in her day. The movie is kinda whack though. I'm sure it sounded like a unique twist on the theme at the time but ultimately feels like a bait and switch. Good idea, botched execution.
    Yeah, she looked great on Lassie and Lost In Space. She wasn't too bad looking later on either. She was also in a good episode of Magnum P.I, where she and Jose Ferrer played a couple who had lost touch with each other when the Pearl Harbor raid happened, and I think the idea was initially, they both thought the other had died, but 40 years later, I think it's Ferrer who's hired The Man With The Ferrari to find his girlfriend who had been mising for 40 years. Anyway, the thing that was interesting was that Jose's son, Miguel, and June's daughter, Anne, were cast as their younger selves in a gaggle of flashback scenes. That was kind of a neat idea.

June was also in a good episode of Roseanne, where she is visited by all the TV moms from the 50's and 60's. It was June, Barbara Billingsley (who feigned ignorance about marijuana, but when Roseanne says "Ask Eddie Haskell", she goes "Ohhhh!", like whatever marijuana is, if Eddie knows about it, it must be bad), I think Florence Henderson, and one or two others I can't remember. June has this great bit where she says the producers of Lassie told her name was too long for the title of a TV show, and when she realizes they lied to her, she gets mad. Like using vulgar words mad!

Watching The Ed Sullivan Show on MeTV. The 5th Dimension are on the show.

I'm watching a Three Stooges episode titled....

All The World Is A Stooge..

Watching.....The Black Cat......with Bella Lugosi......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching.....The Black Cat......with Bella Lugosi......
    And, I believe, Boris Karloff.

Watching The Stones on Ed Sullivan performing their hit Let's Spend Some Time Together with Mick giving the camera a wry wink as he sings the song's chorus.

I understand that isn't the first time The Stones had altered lyrics to satisfy the show's straight laced execs. I can't remember the others though