Page 46 of 133 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 3315

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Now I'm watching Frankenstein Meets the Werewolf with Lon Chaney Jr.......

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Now I'm watching Frankenstein Meets the Werewolf with Lon Chaney Jr.......
    I watched it for the umpteenth time. A classic. But, Chaney's act does get a bit stale. Still entertaining, though. Lugosi played the Monster in this one.

I also watched "Them!" on TCM. Another classic that transcends its budget.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

I also watched "Them!" on TCM. Another classic that transcends its budget.
    You can't go wrong with Peter Graves taking himself a little too seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You can't go wrong with Peter Graves taking himself a little too seriously.
    Peter Graves is not in "Them!"
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Peter Graves is not in "Them!"
    (Checking Wikipedia) I must have been thinking of James Arness. OK, so you can't go wrong with James Arness. I mean, dude was in The Thing From Another World.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    (Checking Wikipedia) I must have been thinking of James Arness. OK, so you can't go wrong with James Arness. I mean, dude was in The Thing From Another World.
    Well, they are brothers

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well, they are brothers
    well, he was half right.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well, they are brothers
    I don't think I knew that.

Of course, you mention James Arness, and for a lot of people, that means Gunsmoke. I've probably told this story before, but I remember my dad used to always comment about how when he saw William Conrad on Cannon, he couldn't believe that he was teh same guy who did Marshall Dillon's voice on the radio version of Gunsmoke.

I don't think I knew that.

Of course, you mention James Arness, and for a lot of people, that means Gunsmoke. I've probably told this story before, but I remember my dad used to always comment about how when he saw William Conrad on Cannon, he couldn't believe that he was teh same guy who did Marshall Dillon's voice on the radio version of Gunsmoke.
    I was more surprised that Cannon was ever able to outrun a criminal.

EDIT: He also narrated The Fugitive.

Yeah, the miracle of the editing booth.

Stop. Drop. And roll.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Maybe when he was chasing them downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Roll us both down a mountain and I'm sure the fat man would win.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Hands up, or I'll have a heart attack on you!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Stop. Drop. And roll.

My wife has been watching 'Family Ties' with the CBS app lately. Says it's been pretty enjoyable. I need to get it going through the TV so we can both watch it, since she usually watches an episode each day when she's in the kitchen. I wouldn't mind checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    My wife has been watching 'Family Ties' with the CBS app lately. Says it's been pretty enjoyable. I need to get it going through the TV so we can both watch it, since she usually watches an episode each day when she's in the kitchen. I wouldn't mind checking it out.
    I very much enjoyed the first 4 seasons. If you've never watched the series, I won't spoil anything for you. There are some true comedy classics and some socially relevant topics covered. Tom Hanks' guest spot is a good storyline. There's also an episode in season 2 ("Speed Trap") dealing with drugs that was so impactful that high schools would show the episode as a form of drug awareness. I was not a fan of the character developments in later seasons and that is where I drifted off with the series.

Great line on tonight's Farscape, and John laments the things he misses from Earth: "I live in a converted cell, no VCR, no remote control...damn, no Charlie Parker albums, and I do miss my '62 T-bird".

Quote Originally Posted by frinspar View Post
    That shows how crazy and screwed up the corporate world can be, since Family Ties originally aired on NBC.

It's kinda like how Never Say Never Again was produced by Warner Brothers, but it's now owned by MGM (the same corporate home as the "real" James Bond movies).

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    I very much enjoyed the first 4 seasons. If you've never watched the series, I won't spoil anything for you. There are some true comedy classics and some socially relevant topics covered. Tom Hanks' guest spot is a good storyline. There's also an episode in season 2 ("Speed Trap") dealing with drugs that was so impactful that high schools would show the episode as a form of drug awareness. I was not a fan of the character developments in later seasons and that is where I drifted off with the series.
    I remember watching it, but the only thing I really remember was how hot I thought both Justine Bateman and Courtney Cox was (though I kinda wonder if half the reason I liked Courtney was because I knew about her music video past). I remember an episode where the dad insisted on teaching the blonde haired girl to drive, which was a bit of a nightmare. I also remember some gag where, I think it's Fox who walks into the kitchen and starts singing a show tune..."Oh, what a beautiful morning, oh what a beautiful day". Oh yeah, and he had a picture of Reagan on his nightstand by his bed.

As for "very special episodes", I remember where a black family moved it next door (or across the street) and were subjected abuse by some of the neighbors because they were "driving down property values".

Oh yeah, and there was that damn Billy Vera song, that was like 6 years old and had been a flop originally, but they used it on an episode of Family Ties and suddenly it was a hit.

But I thik it's fair game to say that the show also included a future Star Trek escapee in the cast.

That shows how crazy and screwed up the corporate world can be, since Family Ties originally aired on NBC.

It's kinda like how Never Say Never Again was produced by Warner Brothers, but it's now owned by MGM (the same corporate home as the "real" James Bond movies).
    It has more to do with production companies than the network on which the show originally aired. Cheers was produced by Paramount, so it would now be a property of CBS/Viacom, despite being one of NBC's most popular shows of all time. Star Trek was also on NBC, but as another paramount property, CBS/Viacom now owns the entire franchise.

Not so long ago, there was a phenomenon of crossover events, with 2 different shows on 2 different network, but produce by the same production company. One such event was crossover with Allie McBeal (Fox) and The Practice (ABC). The reason that happened was both shows were produced by David E Kelley.

To go off on kind of a tangent, many Star Trek alum ended up on David E Kelley shows. Louise Fletcher (Kai Winn) and Armin Shimerman (Quark) had recurring appearances as judges. Both Rene Auberjonois (RIP), and Captain Kirk himself Bill Shatner were cast members on Boston Legal. That's just to name a few.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post

Not so long ago, there was a phenomenon of crossover events with 2 different shows on 2 different network, but produce by the same production company. One such event was crossover with Allie McBeal (Fox) and The Practice (ABC). The reason that happened was both shows were produce by David E Kelley.
    If I remember correctly, ti was the same deal with the Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman. They were one different networks, but had some of the same cast. I think I read Richard Anderson, who played Oscar Goldman, was the first actor to play the same character on two different US networks, at the same time.

So today's episode of Roseanne has Doug "My Sharona" Fieger and Steve "Sex Pistols" Jones in it. According to Wikipedia, Fieger appeared in three episodes of the show, playing one of Dan's poker buddies.

Edit: Also we have Terri Treas, the actress who played Cathy, one of the Newcomers, on Alien Nation. Here she's playing an instructor of one of those female self defense things, which means this is also the episode where Dan dares Roseanne to "give me your best shot" during the epilogue. The screen goes to black as Dan cries out "My eye! My eye!".
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 11-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.

Just need a good chuckle........cheers...