Page 135 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135
Results 3,351 to 3,365 of 3365

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I saw Big Bad Mama at the drive-in in the 70
    I never saw the original, but I did see the sequel on cable TV back in the 80's. Angie Dickinson and her teenage (or 20-something) daughters kidnap the son of the bank president she hold's responsible for her husband's death, or whatever, and the kidnappee ends up falling in love with one of the girls. It was played for laughs as I recall. There was one scene where they're robbing a bank, and one of the girl's sprays machine gun fire all over a wall. Angie tells her "No, no, you have to control it, you can't let it control you, see, like this", and takes the gun and covers a very small area of the wall with weapon's fire, specifically the part occupied by the portrait of the bank owner.

Death Race 2000. .
    That's another one I havent' seen in ages. I seem to recall that's considered one of Roger Corman's better pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's another one I havent' seen in ages. I seem to recall that's considered one of Roger Corman's better pictures.
    It's been at least 40 years since I've seen it. I can't imagine it holds up very well, but what a concept. I did not know that was Corman.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

re: Death Race 2000

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    It's been at least 40 years since I've seen it. I can't imagine it holds up very well, but what a concept. I did not know that was Corman.
    Yeah, that was another great Corman production. I think it's not too hyperbolic to say he was one of the most important people in the B-movie industry. And given the number of directors who worked for them early in their careers, you might also he was almost as important to the mainstream film industry as well.

One line I heard about Corman was about how quick his turn around time, once the idea was put forth. Corman managed to release Carnosaur, which on the surface plays like a Jurassic Park knock off (which actually is, even though it's somewhat based on a novel that actually before Crichton's), but Corman managed to get his picture to theaters a full month before Spielberg got his hunk of manure to audiences. Apparently, once word got out that a movie was being made of the Crichton book, Corman acquired the rights for Carnosaur, and rushed it into production, beating Spielberg to the finish by a month. Corman also managed to cast Diane Ladd (mother of Jurassic Park star Laura Dern) in his picture. If that's not the work of a genius, I don't know what is!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

One line I heard about Corman was about how quick his turn around time, once the idea was put forth. Corman managed to release Carnosaur, which on the surface plays like a Jurassic Park knock off (which actually is, even though it's somewhat based on a novel that actually before Crichton's), but Corman managed to get his picture to theaters a full month before Spielberg got his hunk of manure to audiences. Apparently, once word got out that a movie was being made of the Crichton book, Corman acquired the rights for Carnosaur, and rushed it into production, beating Spielberg to the finish by a month. Corman also managed to cast Diane Ladd (mother of Jurassic Park star Laura Dern) in his picture. If that's not the work of a genius, I don't know what is!
    Corman was very talented at doing that, but he certainly didn't invent the practice. Robert L. Lippert rushed out Rocketship X-M, one of the very early pictures of the 50s sci-fi boom, so he could beat George Pal's Destination Moon to the punch, in 1950. I wonder what some of the earliest examples of this tactic were.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    Corman was very talented at doing that, but he certainly didn't invent the practice. Robert L. Lippert rushed out Rocketship X-M, one of the very early pictures of the 50s sci-fi boom, so he could beat George Pal's Destination Moon to the punch, in 1950. I wonder what some of the earliest examples of this tactic were.

Neil
    Ah, I didn't know others had done that beforehand. I only knew about Corman doing it, because I read, I think, a review of Carnosaur on some website, and they talked how he rushed it out so that he could "scoop" Spielberg.

I've recently discovered Kojak, surprisingly watchable and awesome soundtrack.

Quote Originally Posted by RickdaPrick View Post
    Who loves ya, baby?!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by RickdaPrick View Post
    Kojak is for suckers. Or rather suckers are for Kojak.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Dum dum

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Dum dum
    In case anyone asks, the answer is "three."

I'm watching ... The Pit and The Pendulum.

^^ You Poe man!
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

He's just a Poe boy from a Poe family.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Some of those Poe movies are similar only in title. I can't recall if P&P is one of them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Some of those Poe movies are similar only in title. I can't recall if P&P is one of them, though.
    It definitely is. The original story is quite short, so not much other option than to flesh it out.

Neil