Thread: Vintage TV thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Anyway, I think 17 years old can potentially constitute "vintage TV". Dead Like Me is another old show that I've been watching on Prime Video. Unfortunately, apparently Prime is dropping it at the end of the month (I guess the contract is running out). Thankfully, I'm about half way through the second (and unfortunately last) season, so I should be able to wrap it up before the deadline. I always thought this was great.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Anyway, I think 17 years old can potentially constitute "vintage TV". Dead Like Me is another old show that I've been watching on Prime Video. Unfortunately, apparently Prime is dropping it at the end of the month (I guess the contract is running out). Thankfully, I'm about half way through the second (and unfortunately last) season, so I should be able to wrap it up before the deadline. I always thought this was great.
    https://www.progressiveears.org/foru...-so-vintage-TV
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I've also wondered about this. When do we apply the "vintage" label? I seem to like Prime better than Netflix or at least, I spend more time there.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I've also wondered about this. When do we apply the "vintage" label? I seem to like Prime better than Netflix or at least, I spend more time there.
    I looked "vintage" up on Wikipedia, and it says there's no "official" definition of "vintage", or what the distinction betwen "vintage" and "antique" is. But given that I was seeing early 60's guitars referred to as vintage" back in 83-84, I guess approximately 20 years makes something "vintage". I remember when I was a teenager, I read guitar magazines the way some boys read car magazines, and dreamed of owning vintage guitars. Well, as it happens I have several now. I guess most of the guitars I own now would be called "vintage", given that they were made circa 30-55 years ago. I guess I didn't imagine the day would come that somethign that was made in my lifetime would be called "vintage". I guess that kind of makes me "vintage" too, huh?

I looked "vintage" up on Wikipedia, and it says there's no "official" definition of "vintage", or what the distinction betwen "vintage" and "antique" is. But given that I was seeing early 60's guitars referred to as vintage" back in 83-84, I guess approximately 20 years makes something "vintage". I remember when I was a teenager, I read guitar magazines the way some boys read car magazines, and dreamed of owning vintage guitars. Well, as it happens I have several now. I guess most of the guitars I own now would be called "vintage", given that they were made circa 30-55 years ago. I guess I didn't imagine the day would come that somethign that was made in my lifetime would be called "vintage". I guess that kind of makes me "vintage" too, huh?
    You know, I think of spirits such as wine as vintage and furniture as antique. But I guess I'll have to wear the vintage label to.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    You know, I think of spirits such as wine as vintage and furniture as antique. But I guess I'll have to wear the vintage label to.
    There are certain ages for each. To be an antique, furniture needs to be at least 100 years old. With cars, it's like 50.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There are certain ages for each. To be an antique, furniture needs to be at least 100 years old. With cars, it's like 50.
    Regarding cars, in the UK at least:

Cars built before 31 December 1904 are categorised as Veteran. An identical car built in January 1905 would not therefore be referred to as Veteran but, in common with other cars built between 1 January 1905 and 31 December 1918, would usually be referred to as Edwardian. Cars built between 1 January 1919 and 31 December 1930 are classified as Vintage. Certain makes of quality and sporting cars built in the years between 1930 and World War II are referred to as Post Vintage Thoroughbred. The term Classic Car is not necessarily defined by any specific time period and is open to interpretation. All motoring enthusiasts have their own personal favourites that they consider to be Classic.