Page 51 of 133 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3324

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I went back and reread the previous posts and couldn't find one stating that Airplane was better nor was it being compared to YF. It was mentioned to point out how some satire and spoofs can lose their impact on an audience unfamiliar with the source material. But I do agree that YF is a funny movie on it's own. Certain scenes are funnier, IMO, knowing the originals, such as Gene Hackman's blind hermit. He adlibbed the line, "I was going to make espresso" after the monster burst out of the cottage.
    Really? Did you actually look on this page? I humbly invite you to revisit post #1235. My emphasis added.

Being around millennials I can say with some certainty that it isn't as appreciated as it once was, but most of the population that understands the brilliance of YF grew up with an intimate relationship with original movies that inspired it (Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein). Some of the nuances are lost on anyone not having seen the originals. Same with most spoofs really. Airplane! is much funnier having seen the Airport franchise. The brilliance of Carl Riener's Dead Men Dont Wear Plaid is mostly lost on an uninitiated audience.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Really? Did you actually look on this page? I humbly invite you to revisit post #1235. My emphasis added.
    I though you were taking umbrage at Airplane being compared with YF. But yes, I did type what you highlighted. Good lord what was I thinking, not putting IMO after everything I type. Its still the internet after all. Thank you sir for keeping me in my lane.

I assume that everything I read here is an opinion, not scientifically based facts. I sometimes forget the competitive and combative nature of a message board. My humble apologies to all those who may be triggered by my errand opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I wonder how many people actually would get something like This Is Spinal Tap.
    I hear people reference the "this goes to 11" thing all the time and when i finally asked a couple of them, they don't even know the context having not seen the movie.

I hear people reference the "this goes to 11" thing all the time and when i finally asked a couple of them, they don't even know the context having not seen the movie.
    Well, that's at least relatively easy to explain. It's like when someoen says "110%". But trying to explain the Shark Sandwich album cover to someone would most likely be an exercise in futility.

And I'm not sure how funny the movie would be to anyone who's not well versed in the history of the things the film seems to be lampooning, i.e. record companies nixing proposed album cover artwork, "theatrics" not going as planned during a concert, or the infamous bad attitude all the critics have towards heavy rock, or who Joe Besser was, etc. I know the first time I saw it, I was like 11, and didn't know about most of that stuff, so I'm not sure I really laughed so much as say "What the hell is going on?".
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 12-14-2020 at 01:15 PM.

Well, that's at least relatively easy to explain. It's like when someoen says "110%". But trying to explain the Shark Sandwich album cover to someone would most likely be an exercise in futility.
    I have a "Dino's Bar & Grill" t-shirt. Even with the phrase, "Where the drink will flow and the blood will spill" inside the logo I still need to explain it and even when the connection is made I get a shoulder shrug. Spinal Tap is one of those movies that people connect with or don't at all.

IMO

I though you were taking umbrage at Airplane being compared with YF. But yes, I did type what you highlighted. Good lord what was I thinking, not putting IMO after everything I type. Its still the internet after all. Thank you sir for keeping me in my lane.

I assume that everything I read here is an opinion, not scientifically based facts. I sometimes forget the competitive and combative nature of a message board. My humble apologies to all those who may be triggered by my errand opinions.
    You need to lighten up, pal. Airplane was definitely being compared to YF, with the statement I highlighted. That was the extent of it. And yes, it was an opinion, as was my comment.

Accept the fact that you made a minor error and move on. You'll get over it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have a "Dino's Bar & Grill" t-shirt. Even with the phrase, "Where the drink will flow and the blood will spill" inside the logo I still need to explain it and even when the connection is made I get a shoulder shrug.
    Yeah, well, people don't konw song lyrics, typically, apart from the hook. If you had a t-shirt that said "It's just a spring clean for the May Queen", how many people are gonna recognize that as a line from Stairway To Heaven.

Also, Stateside, Thin Lizzy were of course not as big a deal as they were in the UK or Ireland (there's a statue of Phil Lynott in Dublin, if that tells you anything about the esteem the Irish people have for the band). So if you say "It's a line from a Thin Lizzy song", in the US, you might as well be saying it's a line from a Johnny Halliday song, or a Loudness song (one of the ones where Minoru-san sings in Japanese) or whatever.

But yeah, it's one of those things you either get or you don't.

You need to lighten up, pal. Airplane was definitely being compared to YF, with the statement I highlighted. That was the extent of it. And yes, it was an opinion, as was my comment.

Accept the fact that you made a minor error and move on. You'll get over it.
    No Airplane was not being directly compared to YF and not even the statement you highlighted even suggested that.

You pull this same crap in every thread you participate in. You're like a slightly higher functioning Jif.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Cripes.

I have a "Dino's Bar & Grill" t-shirt. Even with the phrase, "Where the drink will flow and the blood will spill" inside the logo I still need to explain it and even when the connection is made I get a shoulder shrug. Spinal Tap is one of those movies that people connect with or don't at all.

IMO
    Yep, Spinal Tap never connected with me.

Will Ferrell's 'more cowbell' never connected with me. The entire sketch was ok, but not one that needs repeated views.

No Airplane was not being directly compared to YF and not even the statement you highlighted even suggested that.

You pull this same crap in every thread you participate in. You're like a slightly higher functioning Jif.

Personal insults aside, and upon reading your comment again, I can see how these comments were conflated. So, yes, you were not directly comparing them. But, sheesh, you still need to lighten up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Cripes.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Will Ferrell's 'more cowbell' never connected with me. The entire sketch was ok, but not one that needs repeated views.
    Yeah, that one didn't do anything for me either, but then, I'm not much of a Will Ferrell fan. I think I watched that once, on Youtube, and that was all I really needed.

Personal insults aside, and upon reading your comment again, I can see how these comments were conflated. So, yes, you were not directly comparing them. But, sheesh, you still need to lighten up.
    You know what, I came back here to delete the post. It was completely uncalled for on my part. My apologies. I usually dont have this much time on my hands but my work is slowing down (expected) and its pouring down rain outside. Idle minds and all that.

Yeah, that one didn't do anything for me either, but then, I'm not much of a Will Ferrell fan. I think I watched that once, on Youtube, and that was all I really needed.
    I liked it when I first saw it. But Ferrel and Fallon seem to have wore out their welcome with me. Same with Adam Sandler. I don't think I appreciated how Lorne Michaels allowed the cast to break character during sketches when that had been traditionally frowned upon by him (for example, he disliked how insular the Carol Burnett show had become in its final few seasons. He felt it lead to lazy writing and vowed it would not become component of SNL).

You know what, I came back here to delete the post. It was completely uncalled for on my part. My apologies. I usually dont have this much time on my hands but my work is slowing down (expected) and its pouring down rain outside. Idle minds and all that.
    It happens.
    But I realize , I do miss Jif ,in a way. He was never uninteresting. But he was exhausting.

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    It happens.
    But I realize , I do miss Jif ,in a way. He was never uninteresting. But he was exhausting.
    He was a sad dude I think. I don't know what drove him more, his need to always be seen as right or his desire to scorn those he thought were mistaken. Maybe a bit of both. He must be a blast in person.

I think JIF was pretty high on the Asperger's scale - he had really poor social skills
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^He was given a lot of rope by the moderators here because of that. Years worth, in fact. Some of the other 'characters' here were even worse, and yet they kept coming back again and again. That's one reason I don't really like the really old threads being kept, you get a thread bumped, see that screen-name and think they are back again.

I finished Buffy The Vampire Slayer in October and the same channel has been running Angel, though it's been relegated to ludicrous early morning (2/3am!) slots. Angel was apparently never well served in the UK even when it was a current show...bounced around various different channels and cut to shreds. I think it's apparent both shows have been stylistically influential on the 2005-onwards Doctor Who revival.

I get the impression a lot of my favourite 60s/70s/80s UK TV shows are completely unknown in the US.

I get the impression a lot of my favourite 60s/70s/80s UK TV shows are completely unknown in the US
    Yeah, there's an incredible amount of programming that didn't make it across the Atlantic.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^He was given a lot of rope by the moderators here because of that. Years worth, in fact. Some of the other 'characters' here were even worse, and yet they kept coming back again and again. That's one reason I don't really like the really old threads being kept, you get a thread bumped, see that screen-name and think they are back again.
    Ya know that quote about learn from history... doomed to repeat...

I prefer the threads remain. If anything, those with questions about others can head over to the thread that caused the demise of that screen name.

^^
    ...while those of us who do know our history are doomed to watch as the ones who don't know their history repeat it.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Yeah, there's an incredible amount of programming that didn't make it across the Atlantic.
    Of my favourites, probably only 60s shows like The Avengers and The Prisoner are known in the US. To be fair, I don't think a lot of them would translate to an overseas market. Other favourite shows like The Sweeney, The Professionals, Minder and Auf Wiedersehen, Pet are very British, I think, and not the deliberately stylised Englishness of The Avengers.

Even with The Avengers, I had the impression it was really only the Emma Peel era which played that well in the US. I don't know whether the 70s New Avengers revival (still with Patrick Macnee) was successful...I don't think so.

Didn't the soap Coronation Street have a solid audience in Canada? That's been on TV for 60 years here now.

^ I saw a mention on a forum to a recent episode of Spitting Image, which I only know from the Genesis characters they created. I couldn't believe that it was still a thing, 35 years on.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ I saw a mention on a forum to a recent episode of Spitting Image, which I only know from the Genesis characters they created. I couldn't believe that it was still a thing, 35 years on.
    It's only just been revived, the original series ran from 1984 to 1996.