Page 30 of 133 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage TV thread

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Trying to figure out whose more irratating, June Cleaver or Gomer Pyle.
    Definitely Gomer.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Definitely Gomer.
    I guess watching so much classic TV, it's hard not to see characters that just get under your skin and Gomer is near the top. I seem to be able to stomach Gilligan though. But, how does Ward stand June? However, she doesn't have such a bad design you know.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Banned
    I guess watching so much classic TV, it's hard not to see characters that just get under your skin and Gomer is near the top. I seem to be able to stomach Gilligan though. But, how does Ward stand June? However, she doesn't have such a bad design you know.
    How about Laverne of L&S fame. And, let's not forget about Horshack.

Horshack.jpg

But, how does Ward stand June? However, she doesn't have such a bad design you know.
    Well, she did allow him to name their youngest son after his favorite meal.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^ Please explain what you mean. I don't get it.

There was a running joke in stand-up circles that the first dirty joke on television was "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver?"
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    We were watching The Brady Bunch a few weeks ago and in one of the earlier episodes they're waiting to surprise Mike by the front door and Mike instead entered from the driveway side patio, spoiling the surprise when Carroll exclaimed, "Oh Mike, you came in the back door!" I had, up to that point, not been that engaged with the program but perked up immediately (I must have looked elated). I looked at my wife and she (shaking her head) says to me, "well, that just made your day didn't it?"

^^

Annoying TV characters? How about Sheldon Cooper? That character they added to King Of The Hill toward the end of it's run, voiced by Tom Petty, is another one that comes to mind. And pretty much everyone on The Beverly Hillbillies.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Annoying TV characters?
    Easy. Any role played by Dabney Coleman.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    We were watching The Brady Bunch a few weeks ago and in one of the earlier episodes they're waiting to surprise Mike by the front door and Mike instead entered from the driveway side patio, spoiling the surprise when Carroll exclaimed, "Oh Mike, you came in the back door!" I had, up to that point, not been that engaged with the program but perked up immediately (I must have looked elated). I looked at my wife and she (shaking her head) says to me, "well, that just made your day didn't it?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3O5MADjodM&t=158

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Day made... again

Banned
    Wait just a minute there on Dabney; he was darn good in his role as Mayor Merle Jeeter on MH squared (sleazy as he was).

Merle Jeeter.jpg

Annoying TV characters?
    One on whom I had a crush for a while was Maggie Wheeler. On Friends, she was Chandler's annoying, on again off again girlfriend. On other shows, she was just a normal person. Another was Lauren Graham. She was portrayed as an annoying girlfriend on that Lea Thompson show, but was quite normal in Gilmore Girls.

How many TV shows has Dabney Coleman done (answer: quite a few, including three episodes of the original Outer Limits)? I thought he was brilliant in 9 To 5, as the sexist boss who almost gets accidentally poisoned by Lily Tomlin.

I'm still trying to figure out what this Beaver thing is all about. I don't get it. Please explain.......

How many TV shows has Dabney Coleman done (answer: quite a few, including three episodes of the original Outer Limits)? I thought he was brilliant in 9 To 5, as the sexist boss who almost gets accidentally poisoned by Lily Tomlin.
    Yes, he's very good. But the discussion was annoying characters. I stand by my statement.

Yes, he's very good. But the discussion was annoying characters. I stand by my statement.
    Well, I remember Buffalo Bill and Slap Maxwell, sort of, but not to the extent I can comment on the character. The main things I remember Dabney Coleman in are movies, specifically 9 To 5 (still a hilarious picture) and Dragnet. OK, the Dragnet movie was kinda terrible, but that wasn't Coleman's fault, that's the fault of the flimsy script, the direction, and the bad acting on the part of the rest of the cast. At any rate, I don't find Dabney annoying in either picture.

But really, the only reason to watch Dragnet is to see a pre-Baywatch Alexandra Paul as The Virgin Connie Swayle (seriously, everytime her character is mentioned by anyone in the movie, she's referred to as "The Virgin Connie Swayle"). There was also the lame attempt at a rock/rap thing, that Aykroyd and Hanks did for the soundtrack, which I thought was cool at the time, but I can hear it in my head right now, how stupid it was. Wait, let me see if I can find the video on Youtube.

Edit: Wikipedia informs that Trapeze/Deep Purple/Black Sabbath escapee Glenn Hughes and former Pat Travers/Asia guitarist Pat Thrall were among the guilty parties responsible. Book, em, Dano, Flagrant Act Of Bad Taste, One! (Wait a minute, that's the wrong show)

Found it! You've been warned!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what this Beaver thing is all about. I don't get it. Please explain.......
    I see the smiley face thing so I'm sure you know exactly what it means.
    DtB

Watching a British horror film........

The Curse of The Werewolf.

Agree. He's played a lot of entertaining characters, but most of them have been assholes. At least those I can recall. It's one of his strengths, and he has always played to it.

On last night's SNL flashback to the 70s, the cold opening was Chevy Chase doing Ronald Reagan playing the Hammond organ. Like his Gerald Ford impersonation, Chase didn't even try to resemble Reagan in any way. But his organ playing: Damn! He sure could play!! Maybe he still can.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    On last night's SNL flashback to the 70s, the cold opening was Chevy Chase doing Ronald Reagan playing the Hammond organ. Like his Gerald Ford impersonation, Chase didn't even try to resemble Reagan in any way. But his organ playing: Damn! He sure could play!! Maybe he still can.
    Oh yeah, he was a musician before he was a comedian, or maybe he was doing both simultaneously. He played drums in a band with Donald Fagan and Walter Becker, before they went off to LA to create Steely Dan. He also played drums and keyboards in a band called Chameleon Church, who released one album and one single on MGM Records in 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I see the smiley face thing so I'm sure you know exactly what it means.
    DtB
    Yerp. I knew egg zactley what it meant from the second it was mentioned.....

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching a British horror film........

The Curse of The Werewolf.
    Hammer films weren't original but often better... except were The Wolfman was concerned. That was a great story with the perfect man cast in the title role, though tiny Claude Reigns wasn't working for me as big Lon Cheney's dad.