Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Prog Sleeve Illustrators

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Also, from a different era, types of music (pre-rock), and completely unique approach Jim Flora is hard to beat. Growing up my dad had many albums with Flora's artwork on the covers, very exciting artwork to me as a little boy and l still think he was a genius.
    When I searched for covers from Jim Flora on Discogs (https://www.discogs.com/artist/2308904-Jim-Flora) I realized I have a book with his covers: The High Fidelity Art of Jim Flora.

Wow, two people who like Jim Flora? That is fantastic

Progger for sure 😏
    I don't know how forgotten he is, but I like much David Anstey's artwork on Khan's Space Shanty:

cover_495862252016_r.jpg

Progger for sure 😏
    David Anstey may seem rather forgotten, as there's no article about him in Wikipedia. On the other hand, that would seem at least at bit strange to me, as he's made the cover art on Days of Future Passed.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    David Anstey may seem rather forgotten, as there's no article about him in Wikipedia. On the other hand, that would seem at least at bit strange to me, as he's made the cover art on Days of Future Passed.
    Not a fan of Shanty or Future Past sleeves, but was it the same artiste that did Lost Chord, Threshold, Children's, Question, Every Good Boy and Sojourn (gatefold) artworks?
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Not a fan of Shanty or Future Past sleeves, but was it the same artiste that did Lost Chord, Threshold, Children's, Question, Every Good Boy and Sojourn (gatefold) artworks?
    No, those were all done by Phil Travers.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I don't know how forgotten he is, but I like much David Anstey's artwork on Khan's Space Shanty:

cover_495862252016_r.jpg
    That's so nice about Discogs: it also has all the designs people made, in this case David Anstey's, which is quite an impressive list: https://www.discogs.com/artist/1827361-David-Anstey
    (So including the Camel-logo for Moonmadness).

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    No, those were all done by Phil Travers.
    Thx, apparently he worked mainly (almost only) for TMB.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    That's so nice about Discogs: it also has all the designs people made, in this case David Anstey's, which is quite an impressive list: https://www.discogs.com/artist/1827361-David-Anstey
    Wow, this dude made most of the iconic Savoy Brown sleeves.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Progger for sure 😏
    Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    interesting, thanks

Reading the information on Progarchives on Satin Whale - Desert places, I discovered the cover was designed by Wolfgang Niedecken and Manfred Boecker, who later formed Bap. Not a prog group, but I have all their albums. Wolfgang Niedecken still is the leading member, who also did solo-stuff.

A couple others perhaps worthy of mention would be Peter Lloyd, who did the most noteworthy Kansas covers, and definitely James Marsh, whose work for Talk Talk is magnificent, and as tied to the band as Mark Wilkinson's work for Fish-era Marillion.

Banned
    Hello! I'd like to mention Serbian illustrator Jugoslav Vlahović, who did many iconic cover illustrations for Yugoslav progressive rock albums in the 1970s.

Here are some of them:

Banned
    Regarding those early prog cover illustrations, David Anstey also illustrated the sleeve for Decca's various artists compilation "Wowie Zowie: The World of Progressive Music" from 1969. The stylistic departure from psychedelic art is clear:

Progger for sure 😏
    Quote Originally Posted by yoyon View Post
    Hello! I'd like to mention Serbian illustrator Jugoslav Vlahović, who did many iconic cover illustrations for Yugoslav progressive rock albums in the 1970s.

Here are some of them:
    I like much the cover art on Kornelyans' Not an Ordinary Life, and I love this album btw.

Quote Originally Posted by yoyon View Post
    Regarding those early prog cover illustrations, David Anstey also illustrated the sleeve for Decca's various artists compilation "Wowie Zowie: The World of Progressive Music" from 1969. The stylistic departure from psychedelic art is clear:
    Svettie, long time no read on PE (not on PA, though)

Banned
    I like much the cover art on Kornelyans' Not an Ordinary Life,
    In addition to successfully illustrating sleeves for bands, Jugoslav Vlahović also played in a prog-folk band called Maja de Rado & Porodična manufaktura crnog hleba that released an album in 1974. Naturally, Vlahović designed the cover, which was this time based on a photograph.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Svettie, long time no read on PE (not on PA, though)
    I think you've mistaken me for someone else.