Page 7 of 56 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2020 NFL Discussion Thread

I am happy so far with the Lions picks. I figured they would get a running back in a later round, so that pick surprised me a bit, but I think he is a good get.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Chicago currently has 10 tight ends on their roster with their second round pick. Offensive revolution in chitown!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I think the Ravens did well in the draft. They drafted for their needs and didn't make any reaches.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I like the Browns first 2 picks. The two 3rd rounders are nondescript backups or special teamers. You gotta aim higher than that.

Yes, the Ravens are having an excellent draft. So is Denver, Dallas, Tampa and Buffalo.

Las Vegas, LAR, Chicago and a few others who don't come to mind are having a perplexing draft.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Browns, Bengals and Ravens are all having excellent drafts so far. My beloved Steelers?..Not so much.
    Steelers addressed need. Minkah Fitzpatrick in the first round, wide receiver in the second, and edge rush in the third. Not the numbers the rest of the division got, but
    value was obtained. It does pain me to see the Rats do so well! Bengirls got some skill position upgrades, but still cannot protect the QB, nor can't stop anyone on defense.
    Not as familiar with the Browns needs, but it appears that they have done well.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Steelers addressed need. Minkah Fitzpatrick in the first round, wide receiver in the second, and edge rush in the third. Not the numbers the rest of the division got, but
    value was obtained. It does pain me to see the Rats do so well! Bengirls got some skill position upgrades, but still cannot protect the QB, nor can't stop anyone on defense.
    Not as familiar with the Browns needs, but it appears that they have done well.
    Well, I wasn't accounting for the Minkah robbery. That would upgrade it considerably.

Well, I wasn't accounting for the Minkah robbery. That would upgrade it considerably.

I'm glad we got our guy. The ghost of Drew Breese (what could have been) looms large. Curious to see what we can look forward to this September (if there is a season). The Dolphins are still building this thing. I just hope Fitzy doesn't get hurt. He isn't injury prone but he's no spring chicken. By the way, I want to tell all the sports, talking heads on the radio that there.is.no "tonga" in Tagovailoa. Where do you see tong in there?
    E-A-T

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Can't be overly excited about the Charger draft. Two first round picks are nice (although I'm still skeptical about the QB) but after that not picking again until the 4th round is rough. No offensive line isn't great, but good to get a RB and two WR though, so overall I'd probably rate it about a C to C+.
    Last edited by Hobo Chang Ba; 04-26-2020 at 05:04 AM.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I wonder if the teams will have to pay all these players if they don't have a season. They said the virus does better in the cold and the second wave could be like 1918. I heard on the radio the fastest vaccine for a disease took four years to develop.

The analysis of the Patriot's draft has been somewhat amusing to read. Some have taken issue with quite a few of the choices. Others, knowing Belicheck's reputation, have been very reserved, apparently afraid that the old Jedi master has pulled off another one. (I don't think they had a good draft.) However, every site has a headline about them, almost approaching a Cowboys fixation level. (Which, of course, continues.)

The analysis of the Patriot's draft has been somewhat amusing to read. Some have taken issue with quite a few of the choices. Others, knowing Belicheck's reputation, have been very reserved, apparently afraid that the old Jedi master has pulled off another one. (I don't think they had a good draft.) However, every site has a headline about them, almost approaching a Cowboys fixation level. (Which, of course, continues.)
    Pats had two weirdo picks, the DII player in the second round, and the kicker (both where they took him, and who they took). I think their picks in the third round, and their later picks where they focused on depth at OL were fine. If those two players don't work out, however, I think Belichick will receive some well deserved criticism. Even if they do work out, I'm not sure he especially "schooled" anyone. Likely those players would have been available later in the draft, or in the case of the kicker as an undrafted free agent. So I'm not sure that was the best use of the resources he had.

But, he's been given the keys to the car, and I'm sure there were reasons he did what he did. We'll see how it turns out, but it is something of a head scratcher.

Bill

^ The DII player may turn out to be their best pick. He's an athletic playmaker, albeit not against top competition. They probably could have gotten him somewhat lower in the draft, though. The two tight ends they drafted are one-dimensional players, and not terribly likely to turn into stars at the position. I thought the Pats' draft was a head scratcher. On the plus side... He's taken some grief for not selecting a quarterback, but if there isn't an NFL starter prospect available, why waste the pick?

^ The DII player may turn out to be their best pick. He's an athletic playmaker, albeit not against top competition. They probably could have gotten him somewhat lower in the draft, though.
    Yep.

The two tight ends they drafted are one-dimensional players, and not terribly likely to turn into stars at the position.
    Yeah, there was another more highly rated TE on the board when they drafted their first TE, but other teams had passed on him too. I agree, neither of these guys look like superstars, but may be solid contributors. Hard to say.

I thought the Pats' draft was a head scratcher. On the plus side... He's taken some grief for not selecting a quarterback, but if there isn't an NFL starter prospect available, why waste the pick?
    Totally. I'm not in a panic about not taking a QB, I wasn't really expecting them to take one. There's rumors about an undrafted free agent QB, but haven't seen a confirmation yet. I think they're going to give Stidham a shot at QB.

Really, I think Belichick does better in free agency, and they should have room to bring on people as needed as they come available. But I don't honestly see the Pats being a serious contender for the next couple of seasons while they re-tool, so I'm not sure that the exact moves they make right now are really all that important. And that if they drafted a bunch of developmental guys that Belichick can work with, then it will all work out in a season or two. Or it won't. who knows?

Bill

CeeDee Lamb YO!

very happy with our picks. We addressed many needs and with top picks of each position
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    CeeDee Lamb YO!

very happy with our picks. We addressed many needs and with top picks of each position
    As much as I hate to admit it, Jerrah did a good job this draft. I would gladly have given Atlanta Philly's 1st and 2nd (what was the rumored asking price for Philly to move up enough to snatch Lamb). I would much rather have one CeeDee than two Jalens and then the rest of Philly's late round draft choices (which I am fine with).

The only thing that i can say is that no one has any idea if any of these draft picks will pan out. It is all a crap shoot.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, Jerrah did a good job this draft.
    me too... there's no love lost between me and my team's owner. Cant stand the guy

He's the second biggest egotistical, narcissist on the planet
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

me too... there's no love lost between me and my team's owner. Cant stand the guy

He's the second biggest egotistical, narcissist on the planet
    I was about to ask who was the biggest, then I realized... Avoiding politics now.

Back to football, Danny in Washington is by far a worse owner with Jim Irsay not trailing too far behind.

Now I have the see both Lamb and Cooper twice a year. Sheesh.
    Brian Dennehy: "I'm now 80 and I'm just another actor and that's fine with me. I've had a hell of a ride," ... "I have a nice house. I haven't got a palace, a mansion, but a pretty nice, comfortable home. I've raised a bunch of kids and sent them all to school, and they're all doing well. All the people that are close to me are reasonably healthy and happy. Listen, that's as much as anybody can hope for in life."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am happy so far with the Lions picks. I figured they would get a running back in a later round, so that pick surprised me a bit, but I think he is a good get.
    Probably the best draft for the Lions since 2013. Quinn actually didn't overthink things and went BPA for most of the draft. Anytime you can get the best CB in the draft in Okudah, and De'Andre Swift the best RB in the first two picks, plus get DE Okwara who had a 1-2 round rating in the 3rd round, you are having a damn good draft. They also got a starting guard in Jonah Jackson in the 3rd and then doubled down in the 4th with Stenberg (who a scout called "the meanest prick in the draft"), you can see the Lions having a top ten offense this year.

Back to Swift, have you seen his video? It's like some Madden game highlights. Please forgive the stupid rap crap in the background....

"And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

CeeDee Lamb YO!

Might be a rematch of Super Bowl V Dallas/Baltimore

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Probably the best draft for the Lions since 2013. Quinn actually didn't overthink things and went BPA for most of the draft. Anytime you can get the best CB in the draft in Okudah, and De'Andre Swift the best RB in the first two picks, plus get DE Okwara who had a 1-2 round rating in the 3rd round, you are having a damn good draft. They also got a starting guard in Jonah Jackson in the 3rd and then doubled down in the 4th with Stenberg (who a scout called "the meanest prick in the draft"), you can see the Lions having a top ten offense this year.

Back to Swift, have you seen his video? It's like some Madden game highlights. Please forgive the stupid rap crap in the background....

Agree, I don't think the Lions could have done much better than they did. Swift has the potential to be something special. I like the receiver we got out of Wisconsin too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Major head scratching move by Packers to trade up for a QB in 1st round. Maybe it will work out like picking Rogers did when Favre was not yet washed up, but they could have used help at a lot of other positions this year (or next, whenever they play again), after somehow squeaking into the NFC championship game after last season. Oh well, we'll see....
    yeah I'm totally confounded by it - Rodgers was pretty middle of the pack last year, but they only had one reliable receiver and still won 13 games. I feel like the Pack gotta go all out this year, draft a QB if things don't work out but Rodgers isn't washed up yet. the Rodgers/Favre thing was a fluke, not a game plan
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

I have a bad feeling that Rogers will eventually wind up in New England.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Can't see Aaron & Bill getting along at all.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I just assumed it would be Cam.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.