Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prince Rawks on Fallon

Banned

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. Pretty nice, including his band. For me, he's definitely channeling Hendrix.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

meimjustalawnmower
    Turn the guitar upside down and do it again.

Is it just me or is Prince startin' to look like the fourth Doodlebop?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Huh, who the hell is "Prince?"

Oh, you mean

He's about 54 now!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-02-2013 at 04:43 PM.

The Artist Formerly Known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince?

He always could play well, but what was that shrill coming out of his mouth?

That's a hard rockin' combo he's got there. No keys, just guitars and drums. I wonder what the rest of the album is going to sound like.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    That's a hard rockin' combo he's got there. No keys, just guitars and drums. I wonder what the rest of the album is going to sound like.
    It's prolly gonna sound like Prince trying to sound like Jimi while trying to look like Lenny Kravitz. You know, I'd take this guy a whole lot more seriously if it wasn't just about the image shit. Obviously his choice of an all-female backing band is not based on talent alone. And that thing where he throws his guitar to the floor was cool the first fifty times.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Is it just me or is Prince startin' to look like the fourth Doodlebop?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Prince has featured women prominently in his bands for years, including Wendy and Lisa and Shiela E. These musicians have been more than image and have contributed much. His Hendrix affinity is not a secret, I saw him do a fabulous Red House years ago. He channels everyone from JB to Ellington to Joni Mitchell and does it with class.

I'm afraid I didn't like the "Driver/Screw" song he did but the second rocked well. I seldom feel that much energy coming out of a television studio.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Prince has featured women prominently in his bands for years, including Wendy and Lisa and Shiela E. These musicians have been more than image and have contributed much. His Hendrix affinity is not a secret, I saw him do a fabulous Red House years ago. He channels everyone from JB to Ellington to Joni Mitchell and does it with class.
    Yeah yeah, blah blah. Everybody knows about Wendy and Lisa and Sheila E. I think that he would do a lot better to channel himself, instead.

Banned
    Yeah yeah, blah blah. Everybody knows about Wendy and Lisa and Sheila E. I think that he would do a lot better to channel himself, instead.
    Why must you be a sourpuss on every thread? If Prince wants to rock with an all female band, who are we to judge? That female guitar player was pretty bad ass. I enjoyed his Fallon performance so much, I was seriously kicking myself for selling my copy of Purple Rain. After seeing Prince on Fallon last night, I ran to my computer to see if he had an album coming out. I was bummed to find out that he didn't. I thought maybe he might channel Hendrix if he did have a new album coming out.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Why must you be a sourpuss on every thread?
    I'm sorry, does my opinion bother you?

Banned
    I'm sorry, does my opinion bother you?
    Sorry. It didn't seem like an opinion. Just a sexist tirade.

meimjustalawnmower
    Sorry. It didn't seem like an opinion. Just a sexist tirade.
    Wow, dude. You're the first person to ever even suggest that I have a sexist bone in my body, and you don't even know me. Those who do know me would argue to the contrary.

If you want to hear Prince "channeling Hendrix" you might want to check out a bootleg called The Undertaker. The bootleg is derived from a video that Prince filmed in 93 or 94, I think, just him playing with a drummer and bassist. Most of it appears to be a continuous 30 minute or so set, with the band segueing continuously from one song to the next. I think Prince had intended to release the recording at the time, but Warners pulled the plug on it (this being one of the the "straws that broke the camel's back", as it were, that led to the whole "unpronounceable symbol" period). Anyway, the video came out in Japan was the then widely bootlegged all over the world. My only quibble is that he uses this weird pitch bend effect a bit too much on a couple song, but in general, I think it really proves the point that Prince could totally wail with the best of them when handed a six string (though I thought that point had been proven with Purple Rain, When Doves Cry, I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man, etc, but some chose to ignore the red hot guitar licks on those songs).

Banned
    Wow, dude. You're the first person to ever even suggest that I have a sexist bone in my body, and you don't even know me. Those who do know me would argue to the contrary.
    Okay, that was harsh. You also ripped on Prince for channeling other people, but that's what most musicians do. It shouldn't matter how many influences a musician takes from, it's what he does with it. You can hear Jimmi Hendrix, James Brown, and Little Richard in his sound, but you can tell that it's Prince. There is no one that sounds like Prince, and he takes his influences and makes something wholly "Prince".

When I lived in the Twin Cities, sometime in the early 2000s, Prince did a show in the Uptown neighborhood where he played nothing but Hendrix-flavored swamp rock that just blew the few hundred people who heard it away. A music critic for the Star Tribune said most of the crowd were just slack-jawed stunned for most of the show. And then we never heard that material again. I wonder if he's not revisiting that stuff again.

There have been a lot of rumors of the hundreds of songs he has sitting in the vaults that he never released for one vague reason or another. Given that I am the same age as Prince, I fear that I will die before him and I'll never hear this stuff. But I can hope...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

There have been a lot of rumors of the hundreds of songs he has sitting in the vaults that he never released for one vague reason or another. Given that I am the same age as Prince, I fear that I will die before him and I'll never hear this stuff. But I can hope...
    There's a shitload of it on bootlegs, if one cares to go looking for it. One of the reasons a lot of stuff never got released was because of Warner Bros. Prince was writing and recording a lot more than a typical artist would, and apparently wanted to release more than Warners thought was advisable. That's why he formed The Time, so that there'd be another artist doing the songs that he could fit onto his solo albums (and in fact, as I understand it, the first two Time albums, it's basically Prince playing all the instruments with Morris Day singing lead) and started producing other artists.

There's actually a Wikipedia page listing all the "unreleased Prince albums". I think a lot of times when a given project didn't get off the ground, some of the material would be cannibalized and turn up on later albums. For instance, there was to have been an album called Dream Factory. The album got shelved when The Revolution split up, but most of the material was then absorbed into a project called Crystal Ball, which would have been a three LP set. But Warners didn't want to release a triple LP, so Prince slimmed Crystal Ball down to a double LP and it became Sign O' The Times. Apparently, most of the songs that would have been on Crystal Ball that were cut were eventually released on various albums during the 90's.

Here's a bit more reading on the subject: http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...rince_projects

Why must you be a sourpuss on every thread? If Prince wants to rock with an all female band, who are we to judge? That female guitar player was pretty bad ass. I enjoyed his Fallon performance so much, I was seriously kicking myself for selling my copy of Purple Rain. After seeing Prince on Fallon last night, I ran to my computer to see if he had an album coming out. I was bummed to find out that he didn't. I thought maybe he might channel Hendrix if he did have a new album coming out.
    www.prince2013.com

Banned
    What was the purpose of that link, Rand?

Prince, with Warpaint as his backing band.

Really cool. However, the singles he recently released aren't very good.

I think that he would do a lot better to channel himself, instead.
    being yourself is over rated.

I recall when Prince went psychedelic...

... about 20 years after everyone else.

The eons are closing
    I wish that Led Zeppelin would have stopped channeling Robert Johnson; they would be better if they channeled themselves (and credited him originally).

Same with Yes. Quit the Mabel Greer's Toyshop cloning and do something with yourselves.

And Anglagard!! Stop channeling VdGG !!

Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    What was the purpose of that link, Rand?
    "After seeing Prince on Fallon last night, I ran to my computer to see if he had an album coming out"