Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Martin Orford active again?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Is Martin Orford active again?

Just saw a torrent on dime from a November Jadis show. I thought he'd retired. One of my favorite keys players! Is he actively playing again?

Looks like he is playing with them again?

https://www.jadismusic.com/shows

Well that is excellent news.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Looks like he is playing with them again?

https://www.jadismusic.com/shows
    And has been for the past year or two at least. Stealthy bugger.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I knew that he had played a couple shows with Gary and guested on recent Jadis, looks like he's part of that band again. Hardly a full-time gig though. Good to see he's still at it.

One can still make some money playing live. The reason Martin quit the biz was the inability to make a living selling CDs.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Hope he changes his mind about recording again, regardless of how hard it is to shift CDs. The Old Road was outstanding!

Just the odd Jadis show isn't going to make much money but its good he's keeping his hand in. I think he works mainly as a steam train driver these days. The irony is that both steam trains and now selling cd's both seem to belong to an age past. Goodbye To The Age of Steam indeed

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Hope he changes his mind about recording again, regardless of how hard it is to shift CDs. The Old Road was outstanding!
    The Old Road is an exceptional album. It would be nice if he had more in him, but I doubt we will see him recording again.

Quote Originally Posted by the ferret View Post
    Totally agreed.

I wish that someone would remaster that album, as the compression on some tracks is through the roof. The music needs to breathe.

Both of his solo albums are stellar.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jadis news page says they are planning an album for 2021. I'd assume he would be on it, but wish him well either way.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    One can still make some money playing live. The reason Martin quit the biz was the inability to make a living selling CDs.
    Interestingly enough I read an interview with Peter Nicholls from a few years ago after the release of "Road of Bones" and he said that has been their best selling cd thus far. I don't think any current IQ members are full-time musicians though.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    There are some really strong tracks, particularly the 4th on the 2nd CD, of IQ's latest release. Wish they could make this a full time gig.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

This the first I've heard of Jadis in relation to Martin. I'm a big IQ fan going back to The Wake. Where would you guys recommend I start with Jadis?

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    This the first I've heard of Jadis in relation to Martin. I'm a big IQ fan going back to The Wake. Where would you guys recommend I start with Jadis?
    I like their first cd releases the best, More than Meets the Eye and Across the Water. Martin plays on both of those (as well as John Jowitt).

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    I like their first cd releases the best, More than Meets the Eye and Across the Water. Martin plays on both of those (as well as John Jowitt).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Two albums that are right up there, Across The Water was constantly in competition with The Division Bell for my cd player in 1994.

Interestingly enough I read an interview with Peter Nicholls from a few years ago after the release of "Road of Bones" and he said that has been their best selling cd thus far.
    I would be pretty shocked if it sold better than Ever, but good for them if it did.

I saw IQ play at Bury recently. Couldn't help thinking they were more fun to watch when they had JJ and Martin Orford with them. Those 2 were with both IQ and Jadis for a while.

Is JJ doing anything these days?

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Is JJ doing anything these days?
    Actually I read recently he is playing in Tim Bowness' live band.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Both of his solo albums are stellar.
    up You betcha. Some great vocals by John Wetton on Popular Songs and Classical Music (horrible title, btw).

H e took a little blue pill but his wife was not interested

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    up You betcha. Some great vocals by John Wetton on Popular Songs and Classical Music (horrible title, btw).
    Absolutely. Arguably some of Wetton's best vocals, and he didn't use that "wall of Wettons" on the choruses.