Thread: Robbie Robertson - Sinematic

Jon Neudorf

Robbie Robertson - Sinematic

Listened to some samples and decided to get this one today, along with Beck - Hyperspace and the new Who. Anyways I'm digging his sing/speak, a bit like Cohen in that regard. Will dig into these over the weekend. Any comments welcome. Oh yeah, recently picked up the new Van Morrison as well. Excellent.

I didn't realize that this was out. I've got three of his solo albums so I'll have to check this out.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

On a side note, I corresponded with Mr. Robertson around the turn of the century. I had a music video featured on the now de-funked Tech TV. Robbie contacted me via the network, on behalf of a friend of his who was a cruise ship musician. His friend wanted to know how I managed to play all the parts myself, and I gave him a few pointers.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Jon Neudorf
    That's really cool.

Banned
    Awesome, I haven’t listened to much of Robbie since his collaboration with Peter Gabriel.

The album includes contributions from the members of U2 and Peter Gabriel, both of whom were also working with Lanois at the time. U2 was recording The Joshua Tree and Gabriel was recording So. U2's contribution is heard in the song "Sweet Fire of Love", a duet of sorts between Robertson and U2 lead singer Bono. The other track featuring U2 is "Testimony", again with vocals by Bono. Gabriel's contributions are heard on the song "Fallen Angel", which was dedicated to Richard Manuel, Robertson's former bandmate in the Band, and "Broken Arrow", which reverberates with Gabriel's signature Yamaha CP-80 electric piano. In addition, Tony Levin and Manu Katché, who were recording with Gabriel, are featured prominently on this record.

In 2005 the album was reissued together with its follow-up, Storyville, as two-CD set, in an expanded edition, both with two bonus tracks.

Jon Neudorf
    Surprised not many people chiming in. It's an excellent disc.

I got it solely because of his awesome former album How to Become Clairvoyant, but this one disappointed me. Every song sounds the same.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I love his work. But I needed a push on this because I am trying to save $$$.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    I love his work. But I needed a push on this because I am trying to save $$$.
    Thanks!
    Start a GoFundME page.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Jon Neudorf
    Been digging more into the Robertson disc. Love the layering and textures. Tempos don't change much but that doesn't matter to me. This is a real work of art with some truly beautiful tracks and really cool guitar tones. Very much recommended.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to pick this up. I've enjoyed all of his other solo projects to date.

My favorite album of 2019.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Jon Neudorf
    Its really growing on me.