Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guranfoe - Sum of Erda

^ Very cool of them to do that. I've got a lot of respect for them doing that, and although I haven't heard their stuff yet I will be checking it out now. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sorry to hear of your friend's dad passing.
    Latest news on this specific issue:

My friend's dad passed on at 89 (back in January), leaving behind his very frail wife (a decade his junior) in a wheelchair and bound for admittance to a nursing home immediately following the funeral service for her deceased husband. Last week, on March 18., my buddy called me to tell that his hospitalized mum was to have both of her legs amputated on the very next day because of imminent gangrene, and that due to the friggin' Corona none of her three children (i.e. my friend or his two siblings) would be allowed to visit. Furthermore, she was allergic to agents of narcosis and would consequently have to stay awake during the procedure and hear her own legs being sawed off.

"- Er, hey - wait a minute!" I told him; "- She's not as reduced by dementia that she couldn't decide for herself to actually abstain from the whole deal?" And indeed he checked with his siblings, who proceeded to confer with their mum. My bud drove those 248 miles and got to spend five hours with his mother before she passed onto the beyond, by which time it was Friday 20th and her 79th birthday.

Just another -true- Corona anecdote - and an arbitrary perspective on the ruthlessness of life. My buddy got to lose both of his parents in the run of two months.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^ That is grim - more evidence, as if any were needed, that the universe doesn't give a damn about us. But you did a good thing there.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Latest news on this specific issue:

My friend's dad passed on at 89 (back in January), leaving behind his very frail wife (a decade his junior) in a wheelchair and bound for admittance to a nursing home immediately following the funeral service for her deceased husband. Last week, on March 18., my buddy called me to tell that his hospitalized mum was to have both of her legs amputated on the very next day because of imminent gangrene, and that due to the friggin' Corona none of her three children (i.e. my friend or his two siblings) would be allowed to visit. Furthermore, she was allergic to agents of narcosis and would consequently have to stay awake during the procedure and hear her own legs being sawed off.

"- Er, hey - wait a minute!" I told him; "- She's not as reduced by dementia that she couldn't decide for herself to actually abstain from the whole deal?" And indeed he checked with his siblings, who proceeded to confer with their mum. My bud drove those 248 miles and got to spend five hours with his mother before she passed onto the beyond, by which time it was Friday 20th and her 79th birthday.

Just another -true- Corona anecdote - and an arbitrary perspective on the ruthlessness of life. My buddy got to lose both of his parents in the run of two months.
    I'm very sorry about your friend's loss, Richard. I hope he's doing okay, or as well as can be expected at least.

Life on this planet can indeed be ruthless -- sometimes it seems like it's just one trial after another. There are reasons to continue onward though, and to be hopeful even in the face of adversity. Good news may get drowned out by the noise, but it's out there.

Hope you and your loved ones are staying safe and healthy. Take care of yourself my friend.

Oh I really like this. The songs sound like they know where they are going rather than flailing about. I'm definitely going to get this. To my ears it sounds so much of the seventies and I mean that in the best possible way. Delightful music.

The Covidus Observations recording hasn't dropped yet, but something else has - Live at Baker's Oven Recording Studio (download / streaming only):

https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/...cording-studio

Recorded in one day last October, and it's a thoroughly enjoyable blast through some of their tunes. But you don't have to take my word for this as they also put the whole thing on Youtube:

Bandcamp Profile

heh... I hadn't realized that they do not have an actual Keyboard player; that the Keys on the album are overdubbed by the bassist and the drummer
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    A new recording is due out soon:

https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/...s-observations

Blurb:

The music on this album will be improvised by Guranfoe at their rehearsal cabin in Diss, England during April 3 — 8, 2020.

This special recording project will be undertaken during the time we planned to be out on the road around England, but are instead quarantined during the COVID-19 epidemic.

We will record one ten-minute improvisation every day and publish it to YouTube. The full collection will be released as this album on April 9.

100% of pre-order funds donated to World Health Organisation's Covid-19 Solidarity Response Fund.

Read more here, http://www.who.int/emergencies/disea...us-2019/donate.

Guranfoe is James Burns, Ollie Snell, Robin Breeze and Joe Burns.

So, not only do they make good music, they are thoroughly decent chaps too. Losing out on their planned gigs must hurt them, but they're still donating the proceeds of the recording for the common good. I'd probably have got this anyway but will make sure to do so given their gesture.
    The album finally came out today (with the exception of one track to be added later) under the revised title Remote Transmissions:

https://guranfoe.bandcamp.com/album/...-transmissions

The remotely-recorded jams here are gonna please people who dug Sum of Erda, I’m sure. Each track features a different guest musician adding flavours of Moog, cello, vibes, etc to the basic set-up. Really fine stuff IMO.

Bandcamp Profile

I think Guranfoe's studio debut is arguably the single finest thing issued by Apollon Records Prog. And a token of their dedication to the allsorts of the term. You'll hear Man, QMS, Allmans, early Wishbone, a tiny bit of KC and a wide set of modern math-rock cacophonies mixed in. An absolute must for lyrical guitar-freaks and fans of driving, grooving jammy retro-progressive in general.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

You'll hear Man, early Wishbone
    Exactly my thoughts (it's funny, I browsed the thread back and haven't mentioned this). I want more of this sub-genre.

A similar approach can be found in Swiss band Orgaan and their 2018 album Storkk

You'll hear Man, QMS, Allmans, early Wishbone, a tiny bit of KC and a wide set of modern math-rock cacophonies mixed in. An absolute must for lyrical guitar-freaks and fans of driving, grooving jammy retro-progressive in general.
    Very well put. And the new set is, if anything, more eclectic than that.

EDIT: The Man and Wishbone flavours come out even more on Live at Baker's Oven where they're in the basic guitars-bass-drums format.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 07-03-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    I want more of this sub-genre.
    Look. And this is unfathomably relevant. It's sub genre - WITHOUT the hyphen!!

Subbadub.

The album finally came out today ...
    Bought it without having listened to it at all - just to make the Friday bandcamp deadline. If it sucks, I am sending you the bill.

Bought it without having listened to it at all - just to make the Friday bandcamp deadline. If it sucks, I am sending you the bill.
    Seems fair, but I must warn you my accounts department can only process invoices denominated in pre-Confederation Swiss francs.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 07-04-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Bandcamp Profile

There's a new album coming at the end of October:

LP, CD, download.

Based on the one track that is streaming, if you dig these cats you will dig this wax.

Bandcamp Profile

^^Thanks. Ordered the CD. Strange though that shipping from the UK to Europe is more than £11.

Sum of Erda is one of my favorite recent releases. This new tune sounds like a winner as well. I'll be picking this up.

There's a new album coming at the end of October:

LP, CD, download.

Based on the one track that is streaming, if you dig these cats you will dig this wax.
    Good news! And good to see you here again. It seems like it has been a while since I saw one of your posts.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Can someone bump this when it's out?

^ I'm going to Bergen tomorrow and I'll be checking in with Apollon. They only survived as music store because the city council leashed Apollon's permit to serve beers/cider/wine, thus setting up our very first dungeon vinyl pub in Norway. The place has been an institution for almost 50 years in Bergen, so there's a sense of fair adventure as well.

But when I purchased the debut Guranfoe over the counter at Apollon last year, the dude behind it didn't even know about a British act on the label (or indeed about the Escarlate from Brazil). I got the very last copy, btw. What a fine album.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Good news! And good to see you here again. It seems like it has been a while since I saw one of your posts.
    Thanks man!

I’m fine, just been very busy so haven’t posted much. Plus some of my other obsessions took primacy. (I have “rotating obsessions”, how odd is that? Feels like it’s music’s time again now, though).

Bandcamp Profile

Can someone bump this when it's out?
    I'll bump myself you bums! It's out. I listened to just a single song, because I felt I needed to revisit Sum of Erda first. Sounds like a winner from the first few notes.

I'll bump myself you bums! It's out. I listened to just a single song, because I felt I needed to revisit Sum of Erda first. Sounds like a winner from the first few notes.
    Indeed. Got a message from Bandcamp that I can download my purchase, while I'm waiting for the CD to arrive.
    According to a reviewer in iO Pages (Dutch progressive rockmagazine) the music is less based on experimental jazzrock (hadn't really heard that on the first album) and more on heavy progressive rock. Well, I'm not that much into labels, so I'll wait and see and listen (though not to the download).

I just downloaded the album. It's excellent. Very exciting mix of instruments with strong melodies and great production. Stellar.

CD came in the post this morning. I’m holding off streaming this until I get chance to listen to it the old-fashioned way. With any luck, some time this weekend…