Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your favourite concert experience(s) but also why.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    -- Where's that ignore button?
    it's in your head. Don't be a meat puppet. I, for one, got a kick out of your yarn.

Probably my best overall concert experience was last year's Terra Incognita in Quebec City. The people, the bands, the partying, the tourist traps, the city, the ride up and back, even the interrogation at the border on the way up (the Canadian border patrolman was a prog fan!) made for a truly magical weekend.

My first really favorite experience was seeing Canned Heat at Providence College in 1969 (sorry to go back more than 40 years) right after Woodstock. It was that short period of time when Harvey Mandel was the lead guitarist. He certainly didn't have the hippie look the rest of the band had, but, man, could Harvey play guitar.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

A highlight of mine was seeing Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band open for Reverend Horton Heat last year. Overall, the Peytons' energy set the place on fire, and Josh is a dynamo guitarist. For one thing, it was the first time I've seen anyone play slide guitar with a harmonica. As much as I dig RevHo, the RPBDB stole that show. Other than that and seeing Dylan, I'd been a major Queen fan since hearing 'Killer Queen" on radio and had all their albums - it was a huge thrill to see them in person (my first of 3 times) when they toured the NOTW album and opened with 'We Will Rock You."

I've been to numerous concerts since my first Queen show, and while some have been almost or equally as fun, no one else has been better.
    Last edited by davis; 03-01-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Going back a ways.....i was probably more excited to see Tangerine Dream in NYC in 1977 than any concert i could recall up to that time.We(my comrades) were all totally psyched for this,some lysergically,others(me) just with laughing tobacco.

A memorable treat for eyes and ears.

"please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I have couple of old and a couple of recent that are worth mentioning:

Genesis-Lamb NYC December 74- It was a month before my 16th birthday and only my second concert my first being a Zappa show. A friend couldn't go at the last second because he got in trouble at school and his parent were our ride to the subway. After scrambling to get to the train we got to the show at like 8:45 and luckily it hadn't started yet. We sold the extra ticket out front for the $6.00 face value and then saw the greatest concert ever. Then a week later I saw it again in N.J. the second greatest concert ever

Zappa-NYC December-76-It was my 18th birthday and we had first row center in the lodge in the old Academy now called the Palladium. This show was later released as the "Zappa in New York" definitely one of the best Zappa line ups ever. Including the Brecker bros, Jobson and Bozzio even Don Pardo made a guest appearance for narration.

David Gilmour-NYC-April 2006- Even though I had seen him with Pink Floyd this Radio City Music Hall show makes the list for the stunning version of "Echoes" my favorite Floyd song ever. Plus seeing David Crosby and Graham Nash on stage with him was pretty unique.

Clapton-Winwood-MSG NYC-Feb 2008. This show which is out on DVD was initially announced as a one time performance about a year later they hooked up again and went out on tour. Our original seats for like $70 were behind the stage. We knew that if you went early you could get down on the floor at the Garden. We went in and mixed in with a bunch of photographers standing right in the middle of the orchestra section as the show started there were 3 empty seats right at the end of the aisle so we just slid in there. Security eventually came by and cleared out all of the people standing including the photographers who were not happy. We lucked out for the entire show as they played some of my favorite music ever Blind Faith, Traffic, Hendrix. A very memorable night something I thought I'd never see.

One show that I wished I could have saw in that 70's era was the Tangerine Dream that Walt mentioned. I'm not sure if it was before or after the one he mentioned but we had amazing seats to see them at the Palladium and then for whatever reason it was suddenly cancelled.

The Yes Union tour in Orlando, FL; 1990, I think. Wakey got sunstroke, and at the last minute they announced he wouldn't be playing (even though his huge 10-keyboard circle was set up onstage). So the rest of the band came out and played for a bit, working their butts off. Then Wakeman staggers unannounced through the crowd (it was "in-the-round"), and the arena goes nuts. I guess the rest of the band was so relieved, that they relaxed and put their petty squabbles aside, and the rest of the show was *sheer magic*. I had seen them once before, and a couple of times since, and nothing has come close to that show. Beautiful, it was - there wasn't a dry eye in the place when they played "Awaken".

Why nothing more recent? Nothing more recent has touched me like that show did.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

>I'll stick to the demand of 5; but 'll give 5 older concert and 5 more recent ones

that seems fair... so:

Older

Jethro Tull - Passion Play - Ottawa Civic Centre (1973) - first real concert experience
    Mike Oldfield - National Arts Centre Ottawa - (1982) - tour de force. sound quality was the best I've ever heard
    Robert Frip - National Arts Centre Ottawa - (1979) - Frippertronics!!
    Pink Floyd - Autostade Montreal - (1975) - all of Wish You Were Here in order followed by all of DSOTM in order and then Echoes
    King Crimson - Camp Fortune Ottawa ( 1984) - outdoor show gorgeous evening - 3 days before the recording of Absent Lovers and the end of that version of KC

Newer - years start with a 2

Porcupine Tree - Montreal - (2005) - Wes takes my son (12 at the time) backstage to meet the band
    KTU - Festival de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville - (2006) - 2 power duos powering
    Electric Masada - Festival de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville - (2003) - just bliss
    Present w. Miriodor - Lion d'Or - Montreal (2005) - one of the best double bills ever..
    Art Bears Songbook - Festival de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville - (2008) - glorius

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    >I'll stick to the demand of 5; but 'll give 5 older concert and 5 more recent ones

that seems fair... so:

Older

Jethro Tull - Passion Play - Ottawa Civic Centre (1973) - first real concert experience
    Mike Oldfield - National Arts Centre Ottawa - (1982) - tour de force. sound quality was the best I've ever heard
    Robert Frip - National Arts Centre Ottawa - (1979) - Frippertronics!!
    Pink Floyd - Autostade Montreal - (1975) - all of Wish You Were Here in order followed by all of DSOTM in order and then Echoes
    King Crimson - Camp Fortune Ottawa ( 1984) - outdoor show gorgeous evening - 3 days before the recording of Absent Lovers and the end of that version of KC

Newer - years start with a 2

Porcupine Tree - Montreal - (2005) - Wes takes my son (12 at the time) backstage to meet the band
    KTU - Festival de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville - (2006) - 2 power duos powering
    Electric Masada - Festival de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville - (2003) - just bliss
    Present w. Miriodor - Lion d'Or - Montreal (2005) - one of the best double bills ever..
    Art Bears Songbook - Festival de Musique Actuelle de Victoriaville - (2008) - glorius
    That's a pretty sweet list.

Where is mogrooves?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    as was yours

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    . All the shows I'll mention were in Ottawa, Canada. You pick your best shows and whatever time frame you like..
    Geez Greg we saw a lot of the same shows.. .we danced together at the Chaud !!!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    I have couple of old and a couple of recent that are worth mentioning:

David Gilmour-NYC-April 2006- Even though I had seen him with Pink Floyd this Radio City Music Hall show makes the list for the stunning version of "Echoes" my favorite Floyd song ever. Plus seeing David Crosby and Graham Nash on stage with him was pretty unique.
    Echoes blew my mind when Gilmour, Manzerick, and Wright et al. played the same show at Massey Hall in Toronto. It was spectacular and history making.

The Lamb is my favourite prog album and I would have loved to see the show.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by markinottawa View Post
    Geez Greg we saw a lot of the same shows.. .we danced together at the Chaud !!!
    In a manly way, of course.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-01-2013 at 10:38 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post

Why nothing more recent? Nothing more recent has touched me like that show did.
    Thank you! To each their own! Amazing what some folks say on the 'net...

Peace,
    Alex

As to actually replying properly to this thread, virtually impossible to do after over four decades of concert-going but if the mood hits me correctly I just might be able to separate five shows from the hundreds of prog shows seen/heard over that time.

Peace,
    Alex

Spock's Beard-The Bottom Line-July 23, 2001 (First set only) regrettably only because I didn't attend the second show. Great, GREAT show, still the best Prog related gig I ever witnessed. It would be the only time I would have seen the Neal led band together.

Fishbone-October 21, 1988-Ritz Theater. Unbelievable show of dizzing musicianship and crowd participation. Felt more like I was at a church event than a concert. A shame this band did not become superstars.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Where is mogrooves?
    I guess Mo's taking a break. he's witnessed some great concerts in his time.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

Led Zep - 1977 Myriad Arena OKC 3 1/2 hours of pure bliss. Still my top concert to this day.
    Genesis - ABACAB Tour OKC. They DID play Supper's Ready at this show. One of the last times they ever played it.
    Rush - 1976 Civic Center OKC. Farewell To Kings tour. UFO & Max Webster in support. Need I say more?
    Pink Floyd - Division Bell tour, Dallas.

Mark - for your post:

I was at this show too. Beautiful summer's night on the side of a hill where the band played in the glory of nature. I remember lots from this concert, including the all powerful Red. A few years earlier I saw KC's show for Beat in Montreal - also a great summer's night.

Also cool that you and your son got to meet PT.

Right now, one that's ranking really high with me is last night's Cleveland Orchestra concert, which featured Mahler's Symphony No. 1. This is one of my very favorite orchestral pieces, with one of my very favorite finales, and they did not disappoint last night. I still had goosebumps for several minutes afterwards.

I'll post more later, I got stuff to do right now.

Older shows -

YES - Relayer tour. Why? Their best album with their best lineup.

Gentle Giant - Shrine Auditorium. Renaissance opened. Why? GG and Renaissance...need I say more?

King Crimson - Discipline tours at the Roxy.

Rory Gallagher, Robin Trower, Starcastle, Jethro Tull at the LA Colosseum. Why? My first concert ever with JT in their absolute prime.
    Brand X - The Roxy.

Motor Totemist Guild - mid 80's, playing at some warehouse turned into artist studio in downtown LA. Very strange and incredible show.

Camel - late 70's at The Roxy.

More recent -

After Crying - their first appearance at Baja Prog. Incredible!

Banco - at Prog Fest. Lived up to expectations, which were very high.

Anglagard - Progfest. Blown away both appearances.

Deus Ex Machina - at Mr. T's Bowl in Highland Park. One of the best modern prog bands, playing at an old converted bowling alley to a crowd of hardcore prog fans, with a bunch of burned out bar flies drinking at the bar during the entire performance. Quite surreal actually. Their Baja Prog and Progfest performances were equally incredible.

Isuldar's Bane - Baja Prog. No vocalist.

Happy the Man and The Thinking Plague - Nearfest.

Hell. I could just list many bands from various Baja Prog and Progfest lineups.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Older

Yes - Roosevelt Stadium 6/75 - My first show ever, Sweet Dreams surprise encore
    Gabriel - Bottom Line 78 - at one point Peter was standing on my table, shaking my hand, while he was straddling the recorder I had openly left running on the table
    Gentle Giant Palladium 77 - down front for GG, first time that close to the stage for a show
    Genesis MSG 77 - first time seeing them, complete Supper's Ready
    Gabriel - Diplomat Hotel 80 - pressed tightly up against the stage from the force of the crowd pushing forward

Newer

Nektar - Stone Pony - the great Mo Moore's last gig with Nektar in the US, standing right in front of them in a bar setting
    Yes - any of the Masterworks shows I caught were magical
    The Pink Floyd 1994 - RFK Stdium in DC - front row center in a baseball stadium
    Nektar - Nearfest - positively surreal
    Strawbs - Baldwin Station 2006 - with wifey along, met Cousins at the bar pre show, sat directly in front of Lambert - when we got home we watched the DVR of the Cardinals / Mutts NLCS game, Cards win to go to the WS. One of the better evenings of my storied career

BG
    Last edited by Brian Griffin; 03-02-2013 at 01:32 PM.
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Jon Anderson - Tour of the 80's- first member of my favourite band that i saw 'live'. The Yes medley was magical !

Yes-Union Tour-8 members of Yes on one stage in the round . What more is there to say!
    Transatlantic -Whirltour - Three plus hours of nothing but fucking epics

UFO - Obsession tour-Schenker was on fire...in fact the whole band was on fire !
    Last edited by Rufus; 03-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Hmmmm...

Yes, Solos tour, '76
    - I don't think I have to say anything more about that.

Dixie Dregs, Dregs of the Earth, '78 (or there-about)- was just getting into them and had never seen anything like it in my life. I had seen Jon Luc Ponty a few months previously and imhp as cool as that was it didn't come close.

Present, Certitudes (200?), have to look it up)- I'm not really a huge fan but I saw them in a little crunchy granola coffee house here in Chattanooga playing to about 12 people, who knows how that got booked. They played the same night as Prince. Just amazing performance and we were all 4 feet from them.

Bruford, Gradually Going Tornado, (1979? 1980?)- as a last minute replacement on an outdoor festival bill with iirc The Cars, UFO, can't remember the headliner. They weren't announced until the week of the show. Freakin' awesome.

There must be more but those are jumping out...

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Jon Anderson - Tour of the 80's- first member of my favourite band that i saw 'live'. The Yes medley was magical !
    Not including the Animation tour was a major Faux pas on my part

I won't cheat and go back to edit

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Older shows -

After Crying - their first appearance at Baja Prog. Incredible!
    I can't think of a band I'd more like to see than AC, especially their earlier stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Older

Gabriel - Diplomat Hotel 80 - pressed tightly up against the stage from the force of the crowd pushing forward

BG
    For the III tour, right? This was the best Gabriel tour I ever saw.