Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Giant Baby Jesus looks like Phil Collins!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I respect anyone's right to believe whatever they'd like. The difference, from my experience in life, is that by and large I am not afforded that same respect by them. And that comes in all forms - whether it's being bashed over the head with their beliefs, or subtle remarks in conversation, or having them constantly injected into threads on a music forum where they are widely considered unwelcome (for good reason).

However, like I said, my choice from here on in will be to take the high road and scroll past them. If MT is going to be allowed to continually spout that stuff (innocuous terminology there, to avoid further 'offense'), I'll just ignore it. It IS what I should have done in the first place, as I have already said twice now. Hopefully twice will be enough for you.
    Whatever. Never mind.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I am not aplogizing. I work very hard to keep my peronal political and religious beliefs to myself. I respect others rights to express their religious views but not here. If the moderators came on this thread they would say MT's points were inappropriate for this forum.

Did anyone notice that the fun and good laughs on thie thread ended with MT 's post?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I am not aplogizing. I work very hard to keep my peronal political and religious beliefs to myself. I respect others rights to express their religious views but not here. If the moderators came on this thread they would say MT's points were inappropriate for this forum.

Did anyone notice that the fun and good laughs on thie thread ended with MT 's post?

Phil Collins ruined bitching.

And flame wars.

So you just wanted to make sure that your disagreement was noted after the fact, despite my having already acknowledged that what I should have done was scroll past or block what I didn't like (give it a shot sometime too), and we'd moved on. Okay, done. You didn't like it. Now I know.
    I suppose you could have deleted your original expletive laden comment and then he would not have seen it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I respect anyone's right to believe whatever they'd like. The difference, from my experience in life, is that by and large I am not afforded that same respect by them. And that comes in all forms - whether it's being bashed over the head with their beliefs, or subtle remarks in conversation, or having them constantly injected into threads on a music forum where they are widely considered unwelcome (for good reason).
    First, you conflate free speech with "bashed over the head", then you overlook the fact that the name of Christ is in the thread title. When an attempt is made to belittle something one might put their faith in, anyone with any amount of integrity would tend to defend it as well.

If you put your faith in a political party and this thread belittled that party, no doubt you would defend it.

I believe it is a good thing that the policy is "no mention of political parties or religion". But again, this thread has Christ's name on it.
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 11-25-2019 at 09:20 PM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Thank you, MT, for allowing me to test out my new approach so quickly. Scrolling right on by.

Pigeons and chessboards.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    If the moderators came on this thread they would say MT's points were inappropriate for this forum.
    A moderator started this thread.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    A moderator started this thread.
    Yep.

How people interact in this thread is a reflection on today’s society. The intent behind this thread is not to belittle religion but to share a stupid social media joke that happens to have Prog reference. But that can’t happen here without someone taking it seriously and/or and going down that road. That is what people are objecting, NOT the religion itself. But some can’t resist any opportunity to get “offended” or get in a fight and put people in their place. It’s so predictable. The last page of this thread is an embarrassing display sanctimonious garbage.

And everyone here knows better. But as I have seen written here before, the moment someone “goes there” in a thread, they see that as the door being being opened, everyone jumps in, and it’s all fair play.

Remember, posting on this private forum is a privilege not a right. And we have taken note of those involved in this thread. Next time there will be bans, so think twice before posting. Maybe turn the other cheek for once.
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 11-26-2019 at 04:08 AM.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    How people interact in this thread is a reflection on today’s society. The intent behind this thread is not to belittle religion but to share a stupid social media joke that happens to have Prog reference. But that can’t happen here without someone taking it seriously and/or and going down that road. That is what people are objecting, NOT the religion itself. But some can’t resist any opportunity to get “offended” or get in a fight and put people in their place. It’s so predictable. The last page of this thread is an embarrassing display sanctimonious garbage.

And everyone here knows better. But as I have seen written here before, the moment someone “goes there” in a thread, they see that as the door being being opened, everyone jumps in, and it’s all fair play.

Remember, posting on this private forum is a privilege not a right. And we have taken note of those involved in this thread. Next time there will be bans, so think twice before posting. Maybe turn the other cheek for once.
    FWIW, I did think this thread was funny. Even laughed out loud at a few of the jokes made.

By those involved in this thread, do you mean everyone here who has posted in it? Or just certain folks?

A couple people were pretty disrespectful in their choice of language, IMO. Normally I would have just ignored them. However, it has been a bad couple of days (for my family and I), and my patience was more limited than usual. But I don’t believe I insulted anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    By those involved in this thread, do you mean everyone here who has posted in it? Or just certain folks?
    Certain folks.

A couple people were pretty disrespectful in their choice of language, IMO.
    I can respect that if you can show me a dozen other times you've called out people here solely for using the word "shit" (or similar), otherwise it's an excuse, sorry. You're pretty outspoken in general and post in quite a few threads where I've seen people swear, so I'm fairly confident that the expletive didn't offend you.

Normally I would have just ignored them. However, it has been a bad couple of days (for my family and I), and my patience was more limited than usual. But I don’t believe I insulted anyone.
    I'm very sorry for what you're going through, but your intention in posting in this thread was clear.

That is what people are objecting, NOT the religion itself.
    Exactly.

I don't personally tend to wade into things like this very often on PE. In this case it was something I feel strongly about, and was annoyed that we couldn't even have a silly thread that was all in good fun. I've seen too many threads ruined by such things in the past, and for what? Nothing positive ever comes from it. It's the same with people who never stop posting their political views on social media. Once you reach your breaking point with these things, a response such as mine comes out... even if it was too inelegant for some to handle.

However, I'm willing to do my part too, and an eye-roll emoji will be the strongest response you'll get from me in the future.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I can respect that if you can show me a dozen other times you've called out people here solely for using the word "shit" (or similar), otherwise it's an excuse, sorry. You're pretty outspoken in general and post in quite a few threads where I've seen people swear, so I'm fairly confident that the expletive didn't offend you.
    You're right, the expletive didn't offend me. What I was calling out was the apparent contempt/disrespect for some posters' personal beliefs. Those comments annoyed me, and like Progatron said, sometimes a person reaches a breaking point and a response comes out.

Do I think MT's post was appropriate? No. Do I think the response to it was appropriate? Also no. IMO, a more moderate reply would have gone over better -- and would have been totally understandable.

But, I should have just ignored it and not said anything. My comments didn't serve to de-escalate things at all, and for that I'm sorry. I should've kept my trap shut.

I'm very sorry for what you're going through, but your intention in posting in this thread was clear.
    I'm not sure what you mean, if you're referring to my initial post, or the responses I typed to Progatron?

I'm willing to do my part too, and an eye-roll emoji will be the strongest response you'll get from me in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    My comments didn't serve to de-escalate things at all, and for that I'm sorry. I should've kept my trap shut.
    Thanks guys.

if you're referring to my initial post, or the responses I typed to Progatron?
    The responses.

Since the original joke clearly ran its course, I'm closing the thread now.