Thread: progressive rock songs about climate change

progressive rock songs about climate change

Over time I've noticed a lot of prog bands using climate change as their theme for albums. I'm thinking of Edisons Children, United Progressive Fraternity, Romantechs (UPF side project) and DarWin to name a few. In conjunction with climate strike day and climate action protests around the world, I dedicated some songs from my latest prog show ... and now podcast ... but I'm looking for more suggestions. There must be much more than I have heard, so if you've got some favorite songs about this subject what are they? I've joked that prog is the new folk because of all these climate change prog albums. It makes sense since prog rock is always looking for big concepts and climate change fits the bill. You can hear my latest show on mixcloud.com/magmashark for an idea of where I'm coming from.
    My latest show also includes a spotlight on 2001 as part of my ongoing series "50 years of prog in 50 weeks"

If I may: White Willow’s Storm Season/Terminal Twilight/Future Hopes is a conceptual trilogy of albums dealing with the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by MagmaShark View Post
    Over time I've noticed a lot of prog bands using climate change as their theme for albums. I'm thinking of Edisons Children, United Progressive Fraternity, Romantechs (UPF side project) and DarWin to name a few. In conjunction with climate strike day and climate action protests around the world, I dedicated some songs from my latest prog show ... and now podcast ... but I'm looking for more suggestions. There must be much more than I have heard, so if you've got some favorite songs about this subject what are they? I've joked that prog is the new folk because of all these climate change prog albums. It makes sense since prog rock is always looking for big concepts and climate change fits the bill. You can hear my latest show on mixcloud.com/magmashark for an idea of where I'm coming from.
    My latest show also includes a spotlight on 2001 as part of my ongoing series "50 years of prog in 50 weeks"
    "Midnight" by Asia, off Silent Nation. A VERY proggy song for Asia, too.

I remember when I met John Payne I told him I admired him for writing those lyrics.

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by MagmaShark View Post
    Also. Kansas's Death of Mother Nature Suite is a good one.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

"Song for America" - Kansas

An obvious one -"Season's End" (the song) by Marillion.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Also Peter Gabriel's "Here Comes the Flood" leaps to mind, as does Black Bonzo's "Sound of the Apocalypse."
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpyprogfan View Post
    "Song for America" - Kansas
    About climate change??

Where I live, the climate is changing from Summer to Fall. Time to replace my Hostsonaten Summereve with the Autumnsymphony album.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Also Peter Gabriel's "Here Comes the Flood" leaps to mind, as does Black Bonzo's "Sound of the Apocalypse."
    Don't know if its about climate change but it sounds like it, VdGG's After the Flood.

this makes GW look like a rainy day.
    Last edited by BravadoNJ; 09-22-2019 at 08:14 AM.

Skating Away... On The Thin Ice Of A New Day was sorta about "climate change", but certainly not 'global warming', rather the opposite.

From the scientific point of view it is now very likely that there will
    be again another Ice Age, quite soon, in the world, that we shall have
    the north part of the world all frozen like it used to be, and we're
    beginning to have natural disasters, from the scientists' study it seems
    likely that we should soon begin to have these great changes in the
    earth's climate so people will not be able to live where they have, and
    the oceans will rise, and many cities will be flooded, like London, and
    Calcutta, and so on. These things, they say, will happen, according to
    scientific theory, in about forty years at the most, but maybe even
    quicker.

"Prof. Adam Logan" on Manning's Anser's Tree.

Sahara of Snow (Bruford) would be appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk