Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spock's Beard - Beardfish - Sound of Contact (Simon Collins) European Tour Dates!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is there any possibility of hearing the new music before the Montreal show? Please!!

-Rich
    From which band? Sound of Contact? There are only a few things made public so far but there's more coming soon. The music you hear in this trailer video is the beginning of a 19 and a half minute epic finale prog track which relates to the scene we see on the album cover. http://www.soundofcontact.com

I don't know if we'll hear anything more, apart from a few snippets from rehearsals or (?) before Montreal. We will have something to hear when we're in Europe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    From which band? Sound of Contact?
    Yeah, Sound of Contact. I'm really looking forward to seeing (and hearing) you guys in Montreal, but if I'm hearing the music for the 1st time it won't be anywahere near as pleasing. I'd love to be familliar with it PRIOR to seeing you.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah, Sound of Contact. I'm really looking forward to seeing (and hearing) you guys in Montreal, but if I'm hearing the music for the 1st time it won't be anywahere near as pleasing. I'd love to be familliar with it PRIOR to seeing you.

Rich
    Sure. That's understandable. Just not possible this time. We are playing the one in the video trailer though so you know that! But otherwise it will be fresh and pretty much no one will have heard it before. A fun surprise!

For anyone who asked about "open rehearsals" (forget who asked), Simon just arrived last night here in Miami. I don't think we're going to do a gig in Miami but we are discussing a private performance at a rehearsal hall as a possibility. Some PE'ers could potentially get an invite to that if it happens (of course you'd have to be in the Miami area around the 21st of March or to be able to go IF we ended up doing it).

Simon and I were also talking about doing some duo performances in England in April or other times. I'll mention it. Maybe not in this thread though because this topic is really meant to be about the Spock's Beard/Beardfish/Sound of Contact tour of Europe. So, if anyone wants to talk about something else Sound of Contact, Simon Collins or Squids -related just make a thread and I'll be sure to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by SymfoZone View Post
    Maybe you should think about calling yourself Beard Of Contact for this tour, Dave.
    If nothing else, I'd have the whole band come out on stage with fake beards.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

we are discussing a private performance at a rehearsal hall as a possibility. Some PE'ers could potentially get an invite to that if it happens (of course you'd have to be in the Miami area around the 21st of March or to be able to go IF we ended up doing it).
    Awww, shucks! I guess we miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    If nothing else, I'd have the whole band come out on stage with fake beards.
    Actually Simon and I do have beards at the moment. I think Wes does too (will see him tonight!). The rest of the guys... not sure. Fake beards are a tough sell!

I've met some PE people so far on the first two dates of this tour. I've been posting a lot of pics of SOC and The Beards if you're curious.

If any PE people are coming to the show then reply to this thread and let me know. Also curious what you think of the show too.

here again are the dates. See you there! It's a killer night of prog. Seriously good. The audience response has been fantastic for all three bands. http://www.soundofcontact.com/tour-dates/

I'll be there on May 18th in Holland and hope to grab the new cd (signed , of course)
    Erik

Orcopian
    I'll be there tomorrow night at the robin2 in Bilston. With the 3 Bands on one bill it's a real no-brainier so hope plenty of people turn up.

This will be my 3rd spocks beard gig, and it will have been a different singer each time. Only seen beardfish at summerend when they were the tangents backing band, I think they did a couple of their own tracks that night. I'm a big fan of their CDs so looking forward to seeing them.

Obviously not seen sounds of contact before but the material I have heard so far sounds really promising, I will be leaving early to make sure I get there in time, the robin website says sounds of contact are on stage 7.15.

Hope you liked the show Orcopian.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    If only someone would promote them in the USA, you mean. I am sure they would love to stay home and tour the USA.
    How about The Bearded Clam Tour. That should bring some people out.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Looking forward to the show in Paris on Wednesday !

Orcopian
    Thanks Squids it was a great evening, an excellent turnout for the robin with a very enthusiastic crowd. You guys got things off to an excellent start and went down well with the audience. I really enjoyed your set. Beardfish were great as well, a varied set with tracks from several albums, although somewhat on the heavy side but that seems to be the direction they are heading. Spocks beard were stunning, Ted is a really good fit as a singer and frontman. There was a good mix of new and old tracks with the new album tracks coming over really well. One point to note was that the average audience age was a lot lower than the normal robin prog crowd with quite a few younger people there.

Great night at the Robin, I was looking forwards to seeing SOC play and Squids you and the band did not disappoint. looking forwards to you coming back over and playing a full set. bought the cd and its on constant rotation, absolute quality!!

Great gig at the Garage in London. Love the new SB album so was great to hear so much of it played live - Ted's a great singer (I'm a long-time fan of his band Enchant so that was no surprise) though vocals were a bit low in the mix. He's also contributed some great material to the new album, Hiding Out and Submerged were real highlights. Bit disappointed they didn't include anything from the four albums with NDV on vocals, but then again I was expecting that - shame most SB fans only seem to be interested in the old Neal stuff - good as it is they really broke some new ground after Neal and it's sad that music will probably not be played live much from now on.

Was very surprised - and not in a good way - that Sound of Contact were billed over Beardfish, a band that's been around a while with 7 studio albums under their belt - and it was definitely not advertised that way. Don't know if this was just a one-off swap for this gig or if it's like that for the whole tour...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    Was very surprised - and not in a good way - that Sound of Contact were billed over Beardfish, a band that's been around a while with 7 studio albums under their belt - and it was definitely not advertised that way. Don't know if this was just a one-off swap for this gig or if it's like that for the whole tour...
    We switch off who goes first every night because we're all cool that way.

We switch off who goes first every night because we're all cool that way.
    I guess that makes sense... No offence, was just a bit bummed I missed the first song of Beardfish's set as it wasn't made clear what the stage times would be...

Quote Originally Posted by DarthVander View Post
    I guess that makes sense... No offence, was just a bit bummed I missed the first song of Beardfish's set as it wasn't made clear what the stage times would be...
    It wasn't? Sorry about that. Should have been as we actually set which gigs we're swapping spots in advance (apart from the first bunch of shows where we just played first to keep things simple). Anyway, we don't really split it up by how many albums the bands have. We have Wes from Porcupine Tree who has played much bigger gigs than all of us and Simon Collins... well, the things he's seen in his life we can only imagine. But, we're worthy of the second slot is my point! haha. I think all the bands would rather be headlining to be honest but the cool thing is that this is a team effort. We're all on the same label and there's a bit of bearded family happening... and the evening is full of entertaining music. Overall I think most people are happy with the show. Although of course if someone is a fan of one of the open acts and they miss a song or two that's understandably disappointing. Sorry about that!

Tonight at Z7 in Switzerland Beardfish is on first and Sound of Contact is on second for anyone going. Tomorrow night we swap again.

If you want a glimpse behind the scenes we set up this Facebook group. Some funny videos from last night posted such as Ryo Sumo wrestling with Rob Aubrey the sound man/tour manager. Some serious pics on stage too plus interviews I'm doing with everybody talking about all things prog! It's an interesting show too because you have different extremes. On one side you've got Beardfish which is very "Prog" and retro 70s sounding. Then you have Spock's Beard which is proggy but more slick like Rabin-era Yes with some Zep-like riffs and an eclectic prog soup. Then Sound of Contact's set has more of a songwriter approach within a prog context (similar stylistic balance to Kevin Gilbert's music which I found to be the same sort of prog-infused rock but still had a singer/songwriter core to it...). It has hints of retro in it going back from the 60s Beatles to 70s Floyd to now. All three bands you definitely hear the Genesis influence among other prog and classic rock bands. Hours of varied proggy entertainment. Good show! If you're anywhere near the rest of the tour dates you really should come out! BUT, if you're NOT near them then join the Facebook group because there are going to be ways you can affect where some of the bands on this tour and some other bands play such as in the US. Here it is: http://www.facebook.com/groups/bringtheprogback