Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steve Hackett to release Live BluRay with Orchestra

Sure, Steve puts out lots of live stuff now. Don't assume that everyone buys each & every one! I say make it all available & let buyers choose which ones they want to own! Purchase is voluntary, not mandatory.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Oh man, Supper's Ready is on here....shut up and take my money!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Steve nails it in that interview.
    "The quality of the early material was better"

Quote Originally Posted by Progdreamer View Post
    Maybe he should get Nick Magnus back in his band. If you listen to Magnus's solo albums you can hear where that sound came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Maybe he should get Nick Magnus back in his band. If you listen to Magnus's solo albums you can hear where that sound came from.
    Steve was referring to Genesis' material when he said that. But I agree, Nick Magnus would be a welcome add to Steve's band.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Looking forward to the Montreal show (two sold-out nights at Place Des Arts) in Sept., several nights after we see Crimson at Theatre St. Denis!
    Taking that I-89 trip again huh? Lucky for you it's only 330 miles each way (5 hours) but for me it's triple the distance from Halifax NS. I wanted to go but tickets sold out too fast for both shows and I am now heading to the Progstock in October in lieu of another Montreal trip (my son lives in Montreal who I just recently visited two weeks ago). So Hackett will not be playing in Boston? I am sure Crimson will. Have a good time, Rick.

By looking at this set list: Can-Utility and the coastliners and The Fountain of Salmacis are HUGE misses on this album.

Just listen to the version on the London symphony orchestra version on their orchestral album "We know what we like" and you'll agree with what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7zrWP3zPxg
    I may be older but, I saw live: Led Zeppelin, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Fish, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Marillion, IQ, UK, Saga, Rush, Supertramp, Pink Floyd, Genesis with Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Triumph, Magma, Goblin, Porcupine Tree, The Musical Box, Uriah Heep, Dio, David Bowie, Iron Maiden, Queen with Freddie Mercury, George Harrison, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood, Steely Dan, Dream theater, Joe Satriani, you get the idea..

^^^ Steve plays guitar on that music track. It is in the credits at the top of the screen seen occasionally. I bought that CD back in late 80's/early 90's.

Quote Originally Posted by Progdreamer View Post
    I'll have to check out that interview tonight! Steve and Tony prefer the early material. Mike prefers the later. I think Phil may be divided these days.

I don't often buy live stuff but this I want.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I'll have to check out that interview tonight! Steve and Tony prefer the early material. Mike prefers the later. I think Phil may be divided these days.

I don't often buy live stuff but this I want.
    Phil makes clear in his autobio that he likes the old material but very much prefers the later material. (I sensed that he feels that way because of all the material he wrote for the 3-piece Genesis.) He felt the proposed Lamb tour that was discussed in 2006 or so would only appeal to a small amount of people (the fans of the original band) and thus, was doomed not to happen.

He also makes it very clear that he, Mike, and Tony were very much wanting to write popular songs and get hits.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Phil makes clear in his autobio that he likes the old material but very much prefers the later material. (I sensed that he feels that way because of all the material he wrote for the 3-piece Genesis.) He felt the proposed Lamb tour that was discussed in 2006 or so would only appeal to a small amount of people (the fans of the original band) and thus, was doomed not to happen.

He also makes it very clear that he, Mike, and Tony were very much wanting to write popular songs and get hits.
    Yes that makes sense that he prefers what he had the hand in writing. I'm sure they wanted the hits because they had families to provide for and all, but Tony of course has often said he prefers the older stuff. Probably all of them kind of do what they prefer the most these days. I haven't heard any of the albums Mike or Phil have done the last 20 years (hard to believe) but I keep up with Steve, Tony, Ant, and most of Peter's material.

Product is now available for preorder at Hackettsongs. I always try to buy direct from Steve....and his website is painless.....$29.27 delivered to the door here in the USA.

https://store.hackettsongs.com/colle...ll-2cd-blu-ray
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I just preordered from Laser’s Edge. Their prices for this, even with shipping, are great.

Is the Blu-Ray video or just 5.1 higher rez audio?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Product is now available for preorder at Hackettsongs. I always try to buy direct from Steve....and his website is painless.....$29.27 delivered to the door here in the USA.

https://store.hackettsongs.com/colle...ll-2cd-blu-ray
    Thanks for the reminder! Purchased from Steve's site.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by cazz View Post
    Is the Blu-Ray video or just 5.1 higher rez audio?
    The Blu Ray is video of the concert.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I would like to see this precisely once.

What nutsack decided the three “sticker” type things should be printed on the cover of this release rather than actual stickers on the shrinkwrap or removable ones on the cover?

I remember Fish explaining that Amazon REQUIRED it for some reason on one of his releases (for the warning about explicit language or something). They made a certain number of them without the thing printed on it for sale through Fish’s shop.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What nutsack decided the three “sticker” type things should be printed on the cover of this release rather than actual stickers on the shrinkwrap or removable ones on the cover?

I remember Fish explaining that Amazon REQUIRED it for some reason on one of his releases (for the warning about explicit language or something). They made a certain number of them without the thing printed on it for sale through Fish’s shop.
    Did you get yours already? I ordered from Hackett store and they just today showed pictures of him signing them so I don't think I'll get mine for a few weeks yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SRS View Post
    Did you get yours already? I ordered from Hackett store and they just today showed pictures of him signing them so I don't think I'll get mine for a few weeks yet.
    Yep, got it today from Laser’s Edge.

We watched a clip on YT on our home stereo one night, and the orchestra seems like it's mixed a bit too loud and overpowered the band.
    It pretty much turned me off considering buying this, so please let us know your impressions when you get a chance.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Might have to finally pass on this one. All I hear is the orchestra.
    Glad you came to your senses!

yes do let us know what you think about the mix when you get a chance, while we wait on ours.

That's what I want, for a change I would hope that we can hear the orchestra, too often the orchestra is buried in a rock band. I have listened enough of those studio versions of Genesis or Hackett versions without orchestra.

I am so pleased that he frequently releases Live DVD's/BLu-ray, as i live in Australia and he has only toured here once. so it's great to be able to watch these releases.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I got notice from Steve's store that the DVD shipped. Looking forwrard to it!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)