Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Rush tunes ranked

The title track to "Hemispheres" ranked 37th?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I always thought they cribbed that riff from Soft Machine 2.
    Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I'm apparently not as on the ball as some people are around here about catching this stuff, but probably a decade or so ago, someone pointed out that the riff in question is Blue Rondo A'la Turk, off Brubeck's Time Out album. ELP and The Nice fans know this track as simply Rondo (they took it and shoehorned it into 4/4).

It's been so long since I listened to the second Soft Machine album (another one of those "too eccentric for it's own good" records, as I remember), I don't remember it being there. It's quite likely they appropriated it from Brubeck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    These are some of the crazy placements at the low end:

178. "Double Agent," Counterparts (1993)
    A rare miserable Rush song. Even though there's some cool dissonant guitar fills, the spoken-word element is embarrassing and the call-and-response ("Wound up and tight" "Soooooo tight!") is like something out of a Saturday Night Live parody. Cringe.

174. "High Water," Hold Your Fire (1987)
    An aimless track from one of Rush's most all-over-the-place albums. It just sounds like notes for notes' sake. And lots of them.

172. "Presto," Presto (1989)
    There are chord similarities to the far superior "The Pass" off the very same album. For that we issue demerits. Being forgettable is one thing, but being lazy is unusual for Rush.

166. "Lock and Key," Hold Your Fire (1987)
    Ooof. The opening sounds like the DVD menu of a Uwe Boll film. The rest is another synth-heavy pop track from Rush's very hit-or-miss album that just bugs me. There is, I admit, a strong solo in here. Even bad Rush is good, we must remember!

157. "Available Light," Presto (1989)
    A forgettable late '80s Rush track that almost puts you to sleep before it gets a little oomph from a weird recurring use of falsetto -- weird even by Geddy Lee standards.

146. "Out of the Cradle," Vapor Trails (2002)
    A not-very-inspiring song that has some interesting things going on vocally, but are better presented in this album's "Peaceable Kingdom" and "One Little Victory." This is the last track on Vapor Trails and when you make it this far chronologically you are usually pretty exhausted.
    Nothing crazy about any of those to me, but then again I jumped on board the Rush train with 2112, and Moving Pictures was them selling out, for me and my Rush friends, at the time, lol. The only really crazy ones for me, are Hemispheres at #37 and Xanadu at #20. Waaayyyy too low.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Xanadu at #20? it should be #1!
    Along with Villa Strangiato, this was my thought exactly
    didn't analyse the whole thing, but I briefly saw Bangkok around spot 105 (I think) ... and one expects credibility?
    By curiosity, at what ranking is his lowest track from Moving Pictures - he's got 4 out the first ten spots for that album??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    By curiosity, at what ranking is his lowest track from Moving Pictures - he's got 4 out the first ten spots for that album??
    Witch Hunt, at #75.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Surely a great feat to rank 180 songs! Or maybe not!. Reading the list, he must be a total moron! I mean... I don't agree with him on a single point... in fact I live in a world with 7.7 billion morons that will not agree with MY ranking!

Then, there are over 3.6 million ways to rank just the 10 drum solos! (10! In a mathematical language). For 180 songs there are 2×10^329 different lists, compared the 10^87 or so atoms in the observeable universe...

...so give the guy a break
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

It's almost like everyone has their own opinion about this stuff!

I would never have the patience to rate this many tunes and it's a pretty futile exercise. I mean, I'm not sure how I'd be able to say Red Barchetta is better than Freewill or vice versa (to give one example). I'd have to rate several songs as being tied for each of the first 10 positions or something.

But yeah, none of the drum solos would have made my list at all and certainly nothing from Feedback.
    <sig out of order>

there are fans and there are list makers.
    list makers are only out to get attention.
    controversial lists get more hits then genuine lists.
    society have become slaves of social media.
    i would make my own list, but i have a life.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    there are fans and there are list makers.
    list makers are only out to get attention.
    controversial lists get more hits then genuine lists.
    society have become slaves of social media.
    i would make my own list, but i have a life.
    Some might argue any list is controversial.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I would never have the patience to rate this many tunes and it's a pretty futile exercise.
    Lists are a game, and a fairly fun game if you're into it. Just like you can play a game and get a different result depending on the day, so you can list what songs you like best and have a different result depending on your mood.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I got three songs into that list before I already vehemently disagreed.
    Two. Fuck that guy.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    It's been so long since I listened to the second Soft Machine album (another one of those "too eccentric for it's own good" records, as I remember), I don't remember it being there. It's quite likely they appropriated it from Brubeck as well.
    Might want to listen to it again.

I will have to review all of the Rush catalog now. I won't come to any conclusions but that's not the point.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    But yeah, none of the drum solos would have made my list at all and certainly nothing from Feedback.
    Once again, he put in a top 10 solo list that didn't affect the song ranking.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I'm just messin' with ya. While there's a possibility the guys in Rush had heard Soft Machine Vol. 2 back in the day, it's more likely they knew about the Dave Brubeck source via Neil Peart. Or who knows -- they could have come up with it completely independently. Stranger things have happened.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Oh, so I get it. The author is a big fan of drum solos. These lists blow monkey balls!

Regardless of any cribbing Natural Science is in my top five Rush tunes. And Analog Kid ranked 94? That is in my top 15 easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    Regardless of any cribbing Natural Science is in my top five Rush tunes. And Analog Kid ranked 94? That is in my top 15 easily.
    Exactly!!!! And Turn The Page at 130 something? Ppppfffftttttttt!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Lists are a game, and a fairly fun game if you're into it. Just like you can play a game and get a different result depending on the day, so you can list what songs you like best and have a different result depending on your mood.
    Absolutely. If that's what someone likes to do I am not going to tell them how to spend their time. I'm not into games much either. I waste my time with other optional pursuits.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Once again, he put in a top 10 solo list that didn't affect the song ranking.
    Yup. I noticed that right away. I was expressing my opinion that the drum solos don't warrant being on any (positive) list.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm working on a new list:

Top 50 Ways To Prove You Have No Life:

1) Rank all Rush songs

That's as far as I've gotten so far.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm working on a new list:

Top 50 Ways To Prove You Have No Life:

1) Rank all Rush songs

That's as far as I've gotten so far.
    Or, post incessantly on PE. I'm guilty too.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The eons are closing
    LOL
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Or, post incessantly on PE. I'm guilty too.
    Whoa, I should let you overtake me!

So this guy ranked all Rush songs but didn't agree with me about the quality of every single one? How dare he insult my taste like that!

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    So this guy ranked all Rush songs but didn't agree with me about the quality of every single one? How dare he insult my taste like that!
    Yeah, unbelievably nervy.
    <sig out of order>