Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Rush tunes ranked

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Interesting...

Have to say, I agree with them about the song "Tom Sawyer". Particularly this bit: "[...] That opening – a Wall of Sound with Lasers – is truly one of the best things Western Civilization has ever accomplished, and every time it comes up on the radio the instinct is to crank the volume. [...]"

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks for sharing!

Had a feeling I'd see some of my favorites very high in the list - yup. These lists are painful to look at most of the time - for me at least. I'm never in line with the majority.

I got three songs into that list before I already vehemently disagreed.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Same here. Insufferable.

I love this from the "Between the Wheels" entry:
    "Quite frankly you listen to Alex Lifeson shred and you wonder why The Police never hired a guitar player."

Huh? What? Andy Summers?

Oh, and two Top 10's. Nice work, dope Jordan Hoffman.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Same here. Insufferable.

I love this from the "Between the Wheels" entry:
    "Quite frankly you listen to Alex Lifeson shred and you wonder why The Police never hired a guitar player."

Huh? What? Andy Summers?

Oh, and two Top 10's. Nice work, dope Jordan Hoffman.
    Hot take: All five Police LP's are better than anything Rush did after Signals.
    The Prog Corner

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    False. But you are welcome to your opinion.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    I'll enjoy the hell out of both, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Two. Fuck that guy.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

It's a silly concept of course, I mean you can give your best choices or worst choices, but how do you rank them all? Do you rate them with decimals, and then put them in order? Do you have the songs fight it all out in knock-out brackets?

Anyway, a list that puts Hemispheres on number 37, below Bravado and We Hold On is definitely nowhere near my take on the band's value.

The eons are closing
    I wont nitpick the list but agree on the worst song.... Been slagging that tune forever...
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I wont nitpick the list but agree on the worst song.... Been slagging that tune forever...
    It's really just the banal lyrics in the chorus that drag it down. Musically, it's a good piece and the verses are fine IMO. I wouldn't put it at the bottom myself... there are really only a handful of Rush songs I don't care for. You Bet Your Life and Speed Of Love come to mind - and although I wouldn't say I dislike it, I'd rank Lakeside Park quite low on the list. I know that's hard for some fans to grasp, but I'd take Virtuality over that one any day.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 4 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I saw Double Agent listed as among the worst and gave up on this writer
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    WTF? He has all those live drum solos as most of the top 10 or so. Ridiculous. As much as I like Peart, the solos just aren't very interesting IMO, and don't really qualify as "songs."

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    WTF? He has all those live drum solos as most of the top 10 or so. Ridiculous. As much as I like Peart, the solos just aren't very interesting IMO, and don't really qualify as "songs."
    Look again. That was a separate Top 10 that weren't considered Rush songs and didn't change his list rankings.

The Feedback songs shouldn't have been on the list or placed at the bottom.

Ugh. Also not a fan of Peart solos.

And Turn The Page at #136? FAIL.

I think a lot of them do, but not until around 1987.

The eons are closing
    Jed - its so bad that people in my section at the T4E show at the Boston Garden were audibly guffawing at its awfulness.

The drum solo list is an insert, an interjection. It's a detour from the list which he then resumes if you scroll down.
    Lots to disagree with here, but at least he got No. 1 right.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    2112 is my favourite Rush song, glad to see it as number 2.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

The Rush song which touches me most deeply on a personal level is I Think I'm Going Bald.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

These are some of the crazy placements at the low end:

178. "Double Agent," Counterparts (1993)
    A rare miserable Rush song. Even though there's some cool dissonant guitar fills, the spoken-word element is embarrassing and the call-and-response ("Wound up and tight" "Soooooo tight!") is like something out of a Saturday Night Live parody. Cringe.

174. "High Water," Hold Your Fire (1987)
    An aimless track from one of Rush's most all-over-the-place albums. It just sounds like notes for notes' sake. And lots of them.

172. "Presto," Presto (1989)
    There are chord similarities to the far superior "The Pass" off the very same album. For that we issue demerits. Being forgettable is one thing, but being lazy is unusual for Rush.

166. "Lock and Key," Hold Your Fire (1987)
    Ooof. The opening sounds like the DVD menu of a Uwe Boll film. The rest is another synth-heavy pop track from Rush's very hit-or-miss album that just bugs me. There is, I admit, a strong solo in here. Even bad Rush is good, we must remember!

157. "Available Light," Presto (1989)
    A forgettable late '80s Rush track that almost puts you to sleep before it gets a little oomph from a weird recurring use of falsetto -- weird even by Geddy Lee standards.

146. "Out of the Cradle," Vapor Trails (2002)
    A not-very-inspiring song that has some interesting things going on vocally, but are better presented in this album's "Peaceable Kingdom" and "One Little Victory." This is the last track on Vapor Trails and when you make it this far chronologically you are usually pretty exhausted.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    These are some of the crazy placements at the low end:

178. "Double Agent," Counterparts (1993)
    A rare miserable Rush song. Even though there's some cool dissonant guitar fills, the spoken-word element is embarrassing and the call-and-response ("Wound up and tight" "Soooooo tight!") is like something out of a Saturday Night Live parody. Cringe.

174. "High Water," Hold Your Fire (1987)
    An aimless track from one of Rush's most all-over-the-place albums. It just sounds like notes for notes' sake. And lots of them.

172. "Presto," Presto (1989)
    There are chord similarities to the far superior "The Pass" off the very same album. For that we issue demerits. Being forgettable is one thing, but being lazy is unusual for Rush.

166. "Lock and Key," Hold Your Fire (1987)
    Ooof. The opening sounds like the DVD menu of a Uwe Boll film. The rest is another synth-heavy pop track from Rush's very hit-or-miss album that just bugs me. There is, I admit, a strong solo in here. Even bad Rush is good, we must remember!

157. "Available Light," Presto (1989)
    A forgettable late '80s Rush track that almost puts you to sleep before it gets a little oomph from a weird recurring use of falsetto -- weird even by Geddy Lee standards.

146. "Out of the Cradle," Vapor Trails (2002)
    A not-very-inspiring song that has some interesting things going on vocally, but are better presented in this album's "Peaceable Kingdom" and "One Little Victory." This is the last track on Vapor Trails and when you make it this far chronologically you are usually pretty exhausted.
    Nothing crazy about any of those to me, but then again I jumped on board the Rush train with 2112, and Moving Pictures was them selling out, for me and my Rush friends, at the time, lol. The only really crazy ones for me, are Hemispheres at #37 and Xanadu at #20. Waaayyyy too low.

neil

The eons are closing
    Both of those Presto tunz would be in my Top 80

That wasn't as bad as I feared, and hey -- it's one guy's opinion. All of us here should be used to that!

But there's a few gems of insight in there, such as this about "Cut to the Chase":

"Cut to the Chase" is not one of Rush's masterpieces but, let's be honest, if a band like Dream Theater were to record it it would be the highlight of their resume.
    So true. I also appreciate how much attention he pays to the lyrics. To wit:

Funnily enough, if you listen to the lyrics you'll discover that the aggrieved, narrating working man doesn't have it that bad. He gets up at seven, gets to work at nine. What's he doing for two hours? Then he's home by five. Is this a Canadian thing?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.