Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: JETHRO TULL - Stormwatch - 40th anniversary Force 10 Edition October 11th

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    As far as Tull is concerned, I've only done that for Stand Up : vinyl, first gen CD (now given away), remastered Mini-Lp and the boxset (not the SW one).

I haven't even done that for TAAB or Aqualung (vinyl, first gen, and remastered mini-lp), so I'm not about to do that for second/third tiers albums like SW: twice is enough, - and I don't own the vinyls anymore.

When I reach out for Tull, I go for my mini-lps anyways.

Could be, because that would make SFTW a winter album, which it definitely isn't

That sounds much better to me

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath on the extra songs... It's not like the previous batch he selected for the SW remasters of the early 00's are better than the album itself... Most likely the new ones won't better the previous batch of exctra tracks.
    I love Stitch in time, Lyricon blues, Crossword. While Kelpie, Henry and Bazaar are cool. Apocalypse sounds promising from hearing it on Dee Palmer album and I like Orion, so the extended version should be good. 2/3 of the way there
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 07-21-2019 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    This thread inspired me to give Stormwatch a proper listen last night, and as you probably assume, my respect for this album has increased quite a bit. .
    I have had a similar experience with Stormwatch. My jr high friends all became Tull fanatics due to "A". At the time HH and SW were filling the $2.99 cutout bins so one friend bought SW. We all said "meh" and moved on. Dunno why: there's catchy, there's rock, fine guitar, maybe we didn't like the slow ones? A year or two later we were all going gaga about Broadsword...

Since 1980 I have only given SW a few dozen serious spins, but every time I do I like it a little more. Maybe it is just an album that resonates more with 50 year olds than with teens?

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I have had a similar experience with Stormwatch. My jr high friends all became Tull fanatics due to "A". At the time HH and SW were filling the $2.99 cutout bins so one friend bought SW. We all said "meh" and moved on. Dunno why: there's catchy, there's rock, fine guitar, maybe we didn't like the slow ones? A year or two later we were all going gaga about Broadsword...

Since 1980 I have only given SW a few dozen serious spins, but every time I do I like it a little more. Maybe it is just an album that resonates more with 50 year olds than with teens?
    Coming from a slightly older generation, most of my friends gave up on Tull by the time 'A' came out. Of course, I also have older friends who swear Thick as a Brick was the last good Tull album.

As far as the SW album resonating with you 50 years later, perhaps there is a melancholy and mortality on that album that can't be fully understood or appreciated in junior high.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    When has that stopped people on PE from stating their opinion or a guess as indisputable fact? Maybe he's holding Ian as his prisoner and got it out of him.

Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Although I was paraphrasing, I did say Tull “tends” to do that, and Ian said something similar. It wasn’t a rule they followed or anything. Just a tendency.
    I know you were paraphrasing, which is why I directly quoted the "trilogy" post right after quoting you, as it seems it's been a dominant thing in Tull
    The start= This Was, Stand Up & Benefit
    second trilogy= Aqualung , Brick, APP
    the middle era trilogy= War Child, Minstrel, Too Old
    the back to nature trilogy= Wood, HH and SW
    the "n'importe quoi" trilogy= A, TB&TB and UW
    the Dire Tull or Jethro Straits trilogy= Crest, Island & Catfish
    the last trilogy= Branches, .com & Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Actually, the better analogy is SFTW - forest and the wild, HH - farm and field, SW - Sea and sky.
    let's call it the Elements trilogy, then.
    But yeah, I +/- agree

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    You can't possibly know that though.
    nope, but if he'd had aces up his sleeves and more trump in his game, he would've played them by now.

Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    This is Tulls best year. 3-4 strong album tracks and 5-6 strong outtakes. The remix will make everything sound even better
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    I love Stitch in time, Lyricon blues, Crossword. While Kelpie, Henry and Bazaar are cool. Apocalypse sounds promising from hearing it on Dee Palmer album and I like Orion, so the extended version should be good. 2/3 of the way there
    It's not like you're ever been objective about anything Tull, have you??

I'm not going to hold my breath about this set, but even if it's disappointing (like nothing to write home about re: the newly unearthed tracks), you'll always find something to champion and justify your acquisition of the latest releaser.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I know you were paraphrasing, which is why I directly quoted the "trilogy" post right after quoting you, as it seems it's been a dominant thing in Tull

let's call it the Elements trilogy, then.
    But yeah, I +/- agree

nope, but if he'd had aces up his sleeves and more trump in his game, he would've played them by now.

It's not like you're ever been objective about anything Tull, have you??

I'm not going to hold my breath about this set, but even if it's disappointing (like nothing to write home about re: the newly unearthed tracks), you'll always find something to champion and justify your acquisition of the latest releaser.
    I knock plenty of Tull songs lol. There’s 3-5 songs on albums such as Stand up, Aqualung, Warchild, Too old which I think Tull are better than that. The bonus stuff usually answers and proves this. Not really into early demos when we have the real thing which is better. I thought Heavy Horses could have done without Hoeing and Jackalynn. Thought Hoeing was close to Tulls weakest unrepeated extra track of the remixes up to now. Wouldn’t have included early versions of Brown mouse on other remixes or early versions on Aqualung. Even the early Passion tunes on Chateau tapes. Just the unused stuff such as Sailor, audition, left right etc i’d have and also the early version of Wind up which is the original of the tune used on the quad album. I don’t love bonus tracks for fun. I just find them to be better compositions than many album songs and I think it was either done on purpose because Ian wanted to make albums more commercial or it was coincidence that the lyrics to the better songs didn’t fit the album as much as the lyrics to the weaker songs
    Last edited by PROGMONSTER; 07-22-2019 at 04:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Well, people often cite the three as some sort of trilogy, but I don't know why. I think perhaps they feel a need to lump groups of Tull albums together to form 'phases' or 'eras' of their career
    Like I said...

A couple of those are a stretch, and the rest are huge leaps IMO. We can just take any band with a large catalogue and form 'trilogies' out of every three albums they made if we want - doesn't make it so.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Like I said...

A couple of those are a stretch, and the rest are huge leaps IMO. We can just take any band with a large catalogue and form 'trilogies' out of every three albums they made if we want - doesn't make it so.
    and yet, Crimson's last studio unconscious trilogy:

Thrak is a throwback to the Wetton-era Crimson and owes much to LTIA
    TCOL is more akin to the 80's Crimson, which was never my thing

TPTB, despite the small title tracks evoking Poseidon's Peace themes, is probably a return to Burell/Wallace era.

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

There are plenty of examples where the songs that were left off an album are better than the album tracks. Not just of Tull, but lots of bands. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    There are plenty of examples where the songs that were left off an album are better than the album tracks. Not just of Tull, but lots of bands. Just sayin'...
    Dylan would be the ultimate example.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

PiscesPraematurus PiscesPraematurus's Avatar
    Easily one of my favorite Tull albums.

The first rock concert I ever saw was Tull on the Broadsword and the Beast tour. They opened with a spotlight shining on Martin playing the opening to "Something's on the Move". I got my ass kicked.

I'm biased, because I consider Barrie Barlow to be the best drummer from the classic rock era, but his playing on this album is otherworldly.

The only thing I never liked about the original album is that Ian's vocals are far back in the mix. I don't know if the remix will push his vocals forward - I hope so but not too much.

Ian's bass playing is pretty stilted, too, but not bad for a non-bass player.

I'm very interested in the live show. Someone probably already said so, but what's the line-up?

PiscesPraematurus PiscesPraematurus's Avatar
    And, "Dark Ages" is a really sad and scary song.

Early "Dark Ages" played at the Heavy Horses tour

Quote Originally Posted by PiscesPraematurus View Post
    Easily one of my favorite Tull albums.

The first rock concert I ever saw was Tull on the Broadsword and the Beast tour. They opened with a spotlight shining on Martin playing the opening to "Something's on the Move". I got my ass kicked.

I'm biased, because I consider Barrie Barlow to be the best drummer from the classic rock era, but his playing on this album is otherworldly.

The only thing I never liked about the original album is that Ian's vocals are far back in the mix. I don't know if the remix will push his vocals forward - I hope so but not too much.

Ian's bass playing is pretty stilted, too, but not bad for a non-bass player.

I'm very interested in the live show. Someone probably already said so, but what's the line-up?
    Same as the HH lineup with Dave Pegg on bass.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    From Burning Shed:

We’re pleased to announce that all preorders for this 40th anniversary 4cd/2dvd casebound book deluxe edition of Stormwatch will include an exclusive postcard. 500 of the postcards will be signed by Ian Anderson and these will be assigned randomly.

AKA we realized the price is too high, and preorders are slower than we expected.

Amazon just put it up for sale. $65. Burning Shed is $45.

Quote Originally Posted by yodathedog View Post
    Amazon just put it up for sale. $65. Burning Shed is $45.
    Did burning shed lower the price? Also, I don't see it on Amazon - is it Amazon UK?

^ Thanks guys - I just went with Burning Shed.

^ Careful...All that Box Set fondling could result in carpal tunnel. Or blindness.

I'm not going to pay that much. I'll look for the remaster.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have all those "Book" Editions but never paid more than 30 EUR for them.
    (most where at about 22-23 EUR)

Amazon Germany has it at 45 EUR, don't know why this one is so expensive.

I expect the Price to go down until the release...

Amazon US will go down to less than $40, just like SFTW and HH did.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

^ Yeah, I recently bought Heavy Horses: New Shoes Edition for $35 on Amazon. SFTW is proving to be a different matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm not going to pay that much. I'll look for the remaster.
    Pay half and get half the quality