Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Man vs Bohemian Rhapsody

My 26 year old daughter was shocked that I haven't bothered to see BH. My answer is....I know their history. I know the story. And after reading how they mixed up the timeline of events why waste my time with it.

Banned
    So with this "formula" for band biopics moving forward, what will the Led Zeppelin film be?

Page's super group is made up of 4 superstars. Page and Jones from the Yardbirds, Plant and Bonham from "Traffic".
    Stairway to Heaven is on their first album and blows away the world. The bands ends when Phil Collins pushes a final shot of tequila
    to Bonham after a Genesis concert and Bonham dies shortly after. Phil takes over drums and the mighty Zep reunite for a legendary comeback
    pulling off their greatest performance at Live Aid. Shortly thereafter, Collins is arrested for contributing to the death of Bonham and the band records it's final album called "Swan Song" with Nick Mason who was taking a break from his replacement job as The Who's surrogate drummer. The final album Swan Song is their greatest selling album and Page credits Phil Collins for sending him songs from prison that he had worked out with legendary rock producer Phil Spector who was also serving time for murder in the cell next to him. Charles Manson denies rumors that he had a hand in the any of the songs even though he had been transferred to the same prison briefly.

The Zeppelin movie becomes the biggest rock biopic of all time even surpassing Rocketman and Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Last edited by Purple_Camel; 07-14-2019 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Camel View Post
    So with this "formula" for band biopics moving forward, what will the Led Zeppelin film be?
    You think you're joking... but it's eerie...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My wife wasn't really interested in seeing BR, but I just told her to watch the first 15 minutes, then decide. She watched the whole thing and loved it. I really think it's an enjoyable movie - the sequence of events don't bother me.

BTW, I see now where the character Paul appears a few times in the beginning - Guess I was just forgetting that.

Is the "Led Zeppelin" film next?
    The big screen has always needed a mudshark scene.

Banned
    After looking into this a bit more.. Freddie wasn't diagnosed with Aids until two years later in 1987. So the movie depicting Freddie gathering around his bandmates before the Live Aid rehearsals was complete BS.

Queen did two more albums in 89 and 91 with the real story being Freddie struggling to finish up Innuendo before he died. Then another album Made in Heaven released more music from those sessions.

I suppose the question is, would a more accurate portrayal of the events been just as interesting? What is the real reason for presenting such a factually misleading film on such critical elements of their history?
    That’s your interpretation. I understand that a follow up film is in the works, and that will address the grim reality.

Banned
    Last edited by Firth; 07-15-2019 at 09:05 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That’s your interpretation. I understand that a follow up film is in the works, and that will address the grim reality.
    Interpretation? Those are just facts I mentioned.
    I won't be wasting my money on another sequel of fictional rockstar BS trying to re write history for profit.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Interpretation? Those are just facts I mentioned.
    I won't be wasting my money on another sequel of fictional rockstar BS trying to re write history for profit.
    Yes, and you probably make up .00001 of the audience that doesn't accept the movie is just a fantasy story. It wasn't ever made to present a factual account of minute detail about the band. I thought it was an excellent story and I wasn't fixated on fact checking their history at every turn. I'd recommend not getting so insulted and realizing it's a Hollywood movie. It didn't read this are actual events at the start of the movie so why fret over it? It's your prerogative but I'm sure many others are mired in details.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

In the sequel it turns out that BR was just Freddie's fever dream.
    <sig out of order>

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Yes, and you probably make up .00001 of the audience that doesn't accept the movie is just a fantasy story. It wasn't ever made to present a factual account of minute detail about the band. I thought it was an excellent story and I wasn't fixated on fact checking their history at every turn. I'd recommend not getting so insulted and realizing it's a Hollywood movie. It didn't read this are actual events at the start of the movie so why fret over it? It's your prerogative but I'm sure many others are mired in details.
    "The film you about to see is based upon a true story. Some of the facts of the band's history and characters in the movie have been changed or altered by the producers and director. Please turn off your cell phones and enjoy Bohemian Rhapsody, Thank You".

Banned
    Every single person I have talked to that has seen the movie thinks this was all true and fact based. Every single one. If this was a fictional rock movie, then they should have used a fictional band. No one thinks Rocky Horror Movie was a true story and it was hugely successful. "Rockstar" was another blockbuster.

Why go through all the detail to recreate the Live Aid set, but fictionalize the story line? It's just deceitful.

Here's a flashback to Elton circa 1980 interview with Donahue.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQI3eKMGpaQ
    pt 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlOCuLg1CT0
    Last edited by happytheman; 07-16-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Why go through all the detail to recreate the Live Aid set, but fictionalize the story line? It's just deceitful.
    Because that's what Hollywood movies do to create drama. You take a real story and embellish it. If they didn't create any tension leading up to Live Aid, then what would be the point of climaxing with Live Aid? And so, what would be the ending, if you are avoiding the real ending? Perhaps that's where it stems from, the avoidance of going beyond Live Aid to the real story.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Both struck me as science fiction films with so very little regard to facts. Will this become the trend now?
    Was thinking about the same - haven't seen RM, but saw BR and immediately noticed how they played fast and loose with the timeline... the "love of my life" thing mixing 80s footage with a 70s situation... they never broke up or stopped playing before Live Aid... the 80s Queen working on We Wil Rock you... the "A Day At The Races" Queen singing "FBG"... and so on...

My guess is that the reasoning is that is not a documentary... it is a commercial film. I think that is the central question... should the film maker be faithful to history or make it entertaining... I enjoyed BR, but could not put all of the above out of my mind...

v

Banned
    I have to admit that I loved the sound of the music on this movie. Live Aid gave me goosebumps. Seen at a AMC Dolby Cinema which has laser projection and state of the art Dolby Atmos sound. The speakers are all over the roof for the vertical image and every 6 feet along the walls. Speakers include ribbon tweeters and are translucent with light shining thru before the movie. Extra care was taken to turn off all light, which means true Dolby Vision images. Saw Rocketman in similar theatre and that was good, but BR was amazing. Why anyone wouldn’t want to hear this soundtrack on that systemis beyond me.

Rocky Horror was true! Magenta told me so!

Every single person I have talked to that has seen the movie thinks this was all true and fact based. Every single one. If this was a fictional rock movie, then they should have used a fictional band. No one thinks Rocky Horror Movie was a true story and it was hugely successful. "Rockstar" was another blockbuster.

Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Art with a capital "F" as they say. By the by, Brian, John & Roger were all portrayed as mindless, cardboard cutouts riding Freddie's talent. Why did that bother no one on this board other than me? Queen were a band of 4 strong songwriters, not 1.

Quote Originally Posted by vmartell View Post
    Was thinking about the same - haven't seen RM, but saw BR and immediately noticed how they played fast and loose with the timeline... the "love of my life" thing mixing 80s footage with a 70s situation... they never broke up or stopped playing before Live Aid... the 80s Queen working on We Wil Rock you... the "A Day At The Races" Queen singing "FBG"... and so on...

My guess is that the reasoning is that is not a documentary... it is a commercial film. I think that is the central question... should the film maker be faithful to history or make it entertaining... I enjoyed BR, but could not put all of the above out of my mind...

v

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I have to admit that I loved the sound of the music on this movie. Live Aid gave me goosebumps. Seen at a AMC Dolby Cinema which has laser projection and state of the art Dolby Atmos sound. The speakers are all over the roof for the vertical image and every 6 feet along the walls. Speakers include ribbon tweeters and are translucent with light shining thru before the movie. Extra care was taken to turn off all light, which means true Dolby Vision images. Saw Rocketman in similar theatre and that was good, but BR was amazing. Why anyone wouldn’t want to hear this soundtrack on that systemis beyond me.
    I saw it in IMAX and thought the sound was amazing. The re-creation of the live aid performance was really stunning. I remember watching it live when it happened back in the day and Queen really did steel the show. The re-creation was just incredibly well done.

Neither were very good, IMO.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    There must be loads of bio-pics that are mostly liked but where liberties were taken to make a good film. Was “Yankee Doodle Dandy” very accurate? The movie about Liberace? The Doors movie?I don’t actually know, but I suspect this often is done.

Only slightly off-topic: years ago I met an actress who starred in a film called Yank My Doodle It's A Dandy.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There must be loads of bio-pics that are mostly liked but where liberties were taken to make a good film. Was “Yankee Doodle Dandy” very accurate? The movie about Liberace? The Doors movie?I don’t actually know, but I suspect this often is done.

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Only slightly off-topic: years ago I met an actress who starred in a film called Yank My Doodle It's A Dandy.

For those more familiar with the real details of Queen's story, could a compelling movie be made that didn't distort the details? I can imagine it would be hard to avoid the temptation to focus most of the story on Freddie and the tragedy of his illness, but is there another theme that fans would have preferred as the focal point of a Queen movie?
    <sig out of order>

I think things could have been more chronologically correct without lessening impact. The flat out lies were unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post

For those more familiar with the real details of Queen's story, could a compelling movie be made that didn't distort the details? I can imagine it would be hard to avoid the temptation to focus most of the story on Freddie and the tragedy of his illness, but is there another theme that fans would have preferred as the focal point of a Queen movie?