Thread: RIP Gary Duncan of Quicksilver Messenger Service

RIP Gary Duncan of Quicksilver Messenger Service

He was 72. "Happy Trails", Gary... I had that album and "What About Me", which contains their hit "Fresh Air" back in the day. Now I have the 2-CD compilation "Sons of Mercury".

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, Gary.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quicksilver was my favorite San Fran band. The guitar work between Cippolina and Duncan on the first couple of albums was killer. All of my music heroes are leaving the building.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Happy Trails Gary...

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    The guitar work between Cippolina and Duncan on the first couple of albums was killer.
    Like none other - and I mean none. Theirs was the rawest, most acidic double sixstring attack out there, and they could swing in utter refinement too - as on "Gold & Silver".

Duncan's six-minute workout on "Who Do You Love" (Happy Trails-version) remains one of the most lyrical and memorable solos I can think of. I still know it by heart - in vox and axe.

He didn't make much of himself since Solid Silver, of course. But his name will live on the strengths of QMS, Trails, Maiden and "Fresh Air" alone.

Sail on.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Between Lopez and my knowledgeable friend in my favorite country (if not for my children/grandchildren and my age I'd be living there now), there's nothing more I can say as they've spoken for me quite well.

This one hurts. RIP to one of my favorite rock musicians ever.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

RIP. Never was a huge fan but we had at least 3 QMS records in our collection ( well, they were my brother's). I played 'em all back then.

RIP Gary. The first two albums were terrific and some of Shady Grove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loved the QMS dual guitar sound!!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Not much I can add here to what has already been so well expressed. The early QMS sound which is distinctly represented by Duncan and Cippolina comprise a sizable chunk of my music appreciation DNA. Something I will cherish until I too am gone.

RIP Gary.

Still love Happy Trails...

RIP Gary...back jammin' with Cipp...

RIP Gary and thanks for the music.

QMS has had the most consistent (quality) discography of the first wave of Frisco bands behind the Airplane.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

RIP

Fortunately, he'd returned when I saw them; unfortunately, Cipollina had left. Bummer (as we used to say).
    QMS embodied the spirit of those times as much (or more) as any. Music as its own reward.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Music as its own reward.
    (...and I would even say life as its own reward)

I remember their performance in the film.....Last Days of The Fillmore. I think they had a horn section on the studio version of Mojo.

^ The Dino years are a bit hit'n'miss in my house. But I actually quite like What About Me nowadays, as it's a more consistent record than Just For Love in terms of songwriting. And Nicky Hopkins was always worth a dozen listens; "Spindrifter" is as simple a piano-rock/pop instrumental you'll ever hear, yet there's something highly appealing about that kind of thing when coming from the right hands.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

We had Shady Grove in the collection. Not really my thing but I may just play it on YT for nostalgia's sake.

Listening to QMS over drinks tonight. Haven't really been paying much attention to their recorded output these past 10-15 years, but OMG were they ever raunchy and Direct! Cipollina sunded like virtually -no one- else, and you can hear why heroes like Glenn Phillips and Henry Kaiser dug his tone; it's completely bone-wrenching. Duncan in the back, of course, although he too was a great solo player and a fine songwriter.

Also, there's the little known fact that Eddie V.H. grew up on QMS and thus the "Happy Trails" on Diver Down. I mean, if you were 13-14 and digging electric axe in the US by 1969, there'd be Hendrix, Kaukonen, Leigh Stephens and a handlful of others, not least Cipollina.

Aww man, sorry to hear this. He wrote 'They Don't Know' which was the diamond in the rough on 'Solid Silver'. One of the best feel-good 'capture the heart of summer' songs ever. And of course 'Cavalry'. Yeah ... Cip, now Gary

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Aww man, sorry to hear this. He wrote 'They Don't Know' which was the diamond in the rough on 'Solid Silver'. One of the best feel-good 'capture the heart of summer' songs ever. And of course 'Cavalry'. Yeah ... Cip, now Gary
    QMS always seemed to have very summer-y hit songs once Valenti came out of nick.

Fresh Air
    Call On Me
    I found Love
    Doin' Time in the U.S.A.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.