Thread: 25 Years ~ ProgDay North Carolina

25 Years ~ ProgDay North Carolina

Friday it is !

Yes indeed... come Labor Day weekend, the 25th version of the beloved ProgDay music festival will be taking place. I had the opportunity to chat with Mr. Peter Renfro a little while back. Peter was instrumental in starting the festival all those years ago and I asked him if 'he realized the significant mark he, and the ONGOING festival' has made in many of our musical lives'? Same festival brought later Steve Sly and currently Mr. Bennet is in the seat. ProgDay is still here, continues to showcase many stellar bands form around the globe, and remains an absolute yearly favorite of many here at Progressive Ears. Indeed ~ Me Too.

A firm personal handshake to all who have been involved. The band selection committee, the food vendors, the sound people, ALL who give of their time in public relations, ticketing, and many things that go on behind the scenes to bring this awesome weekend of music to the listening ears each year!

Again.... Thanks Peter Renfro for the significant early vision!

I'm going once again!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

A very personal thanks from me to Peter for all your efforts and expense in getting this all rolling on the east coast. The legacy continues 25 years on my friend. Thank you Peter! And also Debbie for all your support and friendship. Thanks as well to all who have supported PD in the past and future. Rock on!

JG
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Michael is like the Chris Squire of ProgDay. Many people have come and gone over the years, but he is the only person to have been involved in the organization for every one of those 25 years.

Steve, I believe that would make you the Trevor Rabin of ProgDay, and me the Trevor Horn.

This will be my 15th year going, and I still feel like the new guy to ProgDay having missed the Peter Renfro years. Thanks to all involved for one of my highlights of each year.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Steve, I believe that would make you the Trevor Rabin of ProgDay, and me the Trevor Horn.

I am the Jimmy Haun of ProgDay

I am the Methuselah of ProgDay (and Dave Astley is my father!!)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I am the Methuselah of ProgDay (and Dave Astley is my father!!)
    Shut the f**k up you S.O.B!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

This was my first Progday...

Progday 97.jpg
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I have only been to one when I was there to perform with Eccentric Orbit. Good times. A primo nerd hang.

Thank you Chris, Jimmy and everyone else! I've become much more of a lurker here at ProgEars the past couple of years as my wife's health has continued to decline. But I am looking forward to getting back to the Farm and seeing everyone! --Peter

Who were the staff manning the stations when I attended ProgDay 2003?

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    This was my first Progday...

Progday 97.jpg
    Mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Who were the staff manning the stations when I attended ProgDay 2003?
    That was the year Nick played right? I am pretty sure I met you as I remember meeting Nick. I was a member of the organization, but not sure who was in charge at the time. Sean McFee maybe? Michael was certainly heavily as was Mike Prete, but I don't remember who was doing what. I am out of town all week this week, but have a program back home that lists who was who in the organization at the time.

2003 was the year I tried to take a step back and was supposed to be the "volunteer coordinator", and then between the positions that went unfilled and the people who flaked I ended up doing half the jobs, some of which I had no clue how to do. Going by memory, but Steve, Michael, Mike, Peter, Gerhard, Roy & Rhea (& me) would have been the most likely people at the merch table or the gate, Geoff & Jay were on stage. It ended up being a pretty fun year with a lot of stories but it was chaos at the time.

^^^^^^^^^^^

You and your clipboard are forever seared in my memory.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

My apologies for not mentioning some of the significant others who have been at the helm. Mr. McFee(sp?) and others MY BAD!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^

You and your clipboard are forever seared in my memory.
    The clipboard was helpful because it allowed me to know exactly how screwed I was at any given point in time.

2003 was the year I tried to take a step back and was supposed to be the "volunteer coordinator", and then between the positions that went unfilled and the people who flaked I ended up doing half the jobs, some of which I had no clue how to do. Going by memory, but Steve, Michael, Mike, Peter, Gerhard, Roy & Rhea (& me) would have been the most likely people at the merch table or the gate, Geoff & Jay were on stage. It ended up being a pretty fun year with a lot of stories but it was chaos at the time.
    I don't really remember. I didn't become overall coordinator until 2005, so was still a peripheral player at that point. Gerhard was probably still the financial guy then. Peter was probably still highly involved. Michael was probably the main band booker as he had assumed that role by that time. Geoff and Jay were definitely running the stage. Maybe Paul too, but not sure. All the years have kind have run together though. Someone ought to right a book. There is a lot of great ProgDay history out there, but it is getting harder to remember it all accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Thank you Chris, Jimmy and everyone else! I've become much more of a lurker here at ProgEars the past couple of years as my wife's health has continued to decline. But I am looking forward to getting back to the Farm and seeing everyone! --Peter
    I’ll say a prayer for your wife tonight. Thank you for the great Prog memories you helped create with Progday.