Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Live at Lyceum 1980

Genesis Live at Lyceum 1980

Never seen this before ...wow!

https://youtu.be/Tgj_OtpAjSI

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    Never seen this before ...wow!

https://youtu.be/Tgj_OtpAjSI
    I have the (almost) complete concert on a bootleg DVD that I got about 10-12 years go.

Famous bootleg, had the DVDs for many years (of both shows - the other one is taken from one camera only though). It was also partially released (40 minutes only) officially on the 1976-1982 'blue' box.

Glad you've discovered it though! It's a great document of that early leg of the tour, where they went back and played a lot of the small theatres they played in the early days.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I have the boot DVD as well. IIRC, the film was deemed too dark for release.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The sound quality of the Lyceum CD is excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Famous bootleg, had the DVDs for many years (of both shows - the other one is taken from one camera only though). .
    The second night also suffers from a lot of glitching, but it does include The Knife as the final ecnore (which apparently wasn't played on the previous night) and there's more of Ripples too, including a shot during the instrumental section where it appears as if Phil is playing bass pedals with his hands.

One thing I found intriguing was the Duke Suite (warning, I'm about to live up to my screen name here, so you can stop reading now):

1. Mike Rutherford plays the big Shergold doubleneck on Behind The Lines, but only plays bass (in fact, he did that a lot during the 70's, apart from the W&W tour, where he used a Hagstrom 8 string bass on I Know What I Like, he didn't start carrying conventional single neck basses on tour again until Abacab), while Darryl plays the guitar part (on what I think was his Suntech Strat copy)

2. Mike switches to a sunburst Strat for Duchess, Daryl switches to a conventional Shergold bass.

3. Mike stays with the sunburst Strat for Turn It On Again, but Darryl now switches back to his Suntech. I always wondered why every piece of video I'd seen of them playing this song, Darryl always sits down, but I believe someone it was so he could switch feet while playing that continuous 8th note bass pedal part.

4. Duke's Travels and now Mike's playing a sort of cream coloured Strat, which had the hex pickup for his ARP Avatar guitar synth mounted on it (the only time during the show where he uses it). Darryl's gone back to the Shergold bass.

5. Duke's End and now Mike's playing an Ibanez Artist (I think it's one of the ones with the built EQ system).

One thing I find interesting is that, since Duke's End is effectively a reprise of the Behind The Lines intro, Mike basically made Darryl learn both the guitar and bass parts to that bit. On th eother hand, I think Darryl said once that's what he did with everything anyway: he'd learn whatever parts he reckoned he might need to know, and then when they got into the rehearsal room, he and Mike would work out who would play what. So that was probably SOP for him, when working with Genesis.

The other thing I find interesting on the gear front is, at the time, Mike toured with not only the ARP Avatar, but also a Roland GR-500 guitar synth, which you see briefly during the chorus reprise at the end of Ripples (sadly, the only part of the song that you see on the first night, since that was when the cameramen were changing reels). Again, if I remember correctly, that's the only place he used on that show too (he would use the GR-500 on the Mama Tour, also, for Keep It Dark and It's Gonna Get Better).
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 05-02-2019 at 09:43 PM.

that has been around for many years. hands down my favourite GENESiS live recording ever (besides “seconds out”). the energy level is unbearable.

I was really disappointed with this performance - particularly Phil. To me it seemed he just couldn't be bothered to sing the older songs properly..

So was this commercially broadcast ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I was really disappointed with this performance - particularly Phil. To me it seemed he just couldn't be bothered to sing the older songs properly..
    i find him to be the high point of this recording. he was literally on fire that night, taking his own liberties with PG material (not that much anyway) and bursting with energy, determined to finally become the nexus for the band after the relative coyness of Attw3. upon my first listen i made peace with him at an instant. nothing ruined as far as i am concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    i find him to be the high point of this recording. he was literally on fire that night, taking his own liberties with PG material (not that much anyway) and bursting with energy, determined to finally become the nexus for the band after the relative coyness of Attw3. upon my first listen i made peace with him at an instant. nothing ruined as far as i am concerned!

not for me as well. the Duke and abacab tours are were Genesis really became the best arena 'Rock Band' of their career. WAY more energy and grit than tours after and even before. Phil just became a great frontman and the band was as loud as they ever got before becoming streamlined for the Mama tour

audio-wise, don't sleep on the Sheffield show either!

I just saw New Jersey's 'The Genesis Show' act play the abacab set; great show. but after the dozen plus Musical Box shows I've seen, my next and biggest hope now is to see the Lyceum set performed by a team that could nail it. one of my top Genesis moments, the Duke LP and tour
    2trevorsforlife

I don't think it's so much him not bothering to sing them "properly" as a) him being creative (I thought he was always great at coming up with different variations on the melodies) b) his voice and singing style changing around that time - from his softer, cleaner 70s approach to his famous (for lack a of a better word) "shouty", raspier 80s vocals. I think some of the older stuff wasn't very comfortable for him range-wise anymore so there is a bit of struggling going on, but I do like his more powerful, aggressive way of singing in the 80s.

Thanks for the link to this show. I really wanted to like it, but I think it's just not for me. I bought all the studio albums through Duke, but I just couldn't find enough to enjoy in Abacab, and the addition of horns did nothing for me except highlight the Phil-ification of the band. Don't get me wrong - I'm not in the "Phil ruined Genesis" camp, but there's no denying that the music changed drastically from Abacab forward. And live, well, as good as Daryl is as a player, the sonic tapestry created by Steve, Mike, and Tony was the soul of the group, and it's something that Mike, Tony and Daryl never successfully recreated in concert. My opinion only!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Great performance...although I have to admit I could do without some of Collins' long-winded song intros (and I'm definitely not in any kind of anti-Collins camp...he's very strong musically/vocally here).

As far as the TV broadcast goes...I'm not sure, actually. I think only some of it was (that was what they put on the Duke SACD/DVD). Very odd that the BBC went to the expense of shooting two nights in the same venue...even though someone botched the second, as noted above.
    Last edited by JJ88; 05-03-2019 at 12:27 PM.

me want, except most I've seen available aren't as visually clear and detailed as this one posted.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

^They should have officially released the whole thing long ago, rather than just a bit of it.

Quote Originally Posted by iguana View Post
    he was literally on fire that night
    Must have been a Spinal Tap moment. (Phil the burn!)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

This is a great show. Still waiting for them to release collector's boxes of live shows (though they never will).

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Great performance...although I have to admit I could do without some of Collins' long-winded song intros (and I'm definitely not in any kind of anti-Collins camp...he's very strong musically/vocally here).
    Ditto

The Lyceum Ballroom shows were great. Love the boot LP “Revelatory Genesis.”

I've owned the Lyceum 1980 DVD boot for about a decade but haven't listened/watched in probably 5 years. I have the same thing that is now on YT, the 2 hour 24 min version. I think it is great. Phil is really coming into his own.

Here's another show I got on DVD around the same time as the 1980. If you haven't seen this yet you will likely enjoy this. Read the description! Wow this guy did a great job with the synching. Watching these things is like going back in a time machine.

Early in the tour- they are slightly stiff here and there, and I agree Phil's song intros could be trimmed. Otherwise, sensational concert- with Phil as MVP without a doubt.

Even "Say It's Alright, Joe" (which I never did care for) takes on a new life with the play acting and so forth. Knowing how Phil had the occasional battles with the bottle also makes it rather more moving in hindsight IMHO.

I think the "no picture at all" segments (due to the lighting) may have been why it was scrapped as a film, but to not properly mix this and put it out as a live album was criminal. It knocks the 1981 and 1976 portions of "Three Sides Live" into a cocked hat.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    The Lyceum Ballroom shows were great. Love the boot LP “Revelatory Genesis.”
    I have this and will need to revisit.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    but to not properly mix this and put it out as a live album was criminal. It knocks the 1981 and 1976 portions of "Three Sides Live" into a cocked hat.
    I guess you'd know already but two songs on Three Sides Live are actually from these 1980 shows. 'Follow You Follow Me' (never a very good track live, IMHO, although the 2007 version was better) was even from one of these Lyceum shows and 'One From The Vine' from a show the day before. More recordings from those May 1980 shows were used on the 2nd Archive box...'Deep In The Motherlode', 'Ripples', 'The Lady Lies' and 'Duke's Travels/End'.

I really like Three Sides Live, even though I think the 1980 tour had a far better set-list simply because the album they were touring was better! 3SL at least cuts out all the ropier 'new' songs they were playing on that tour.

No doubt that this won't be available long on YT.

The sonics are not great, but this is probabluy less an issue on a DVD, so I'd be in for acquisition of the bootleg...

It's kind of a first for me to be interested in a post-Hackett concert footage
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.