Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I read a caustic interview with the three members of the Police several years ago and yeah, Sting is truly a dick of special magnificence. Certainly more dickish than even Burton Cummings though not quite as horrible as Ginger Baker.
    In his film documentary Can't Stand Losing You: Surviving the Police Summers, with epic understatement, describes Sting (or Prick, as I prefer to refer to him) as 'not a team player.' He's always struck me as a preening narcissist with a massively over-developed sense of his own importance. Seems Richard Thompson, for one, shares this view. For those of you who don't know, the term 'Geordie' refers to someone who comes from the Newcastle area of the north-eastern England. Sting is originally from Wallsend, which is about 4 miles east of Newcastle city centre. He was persona non grata for years in the region for slagging off the area after he'd moved to London and found success:

Last edited by kid_runningfox; 03-01-2024 at 12:37 PM.

I'm currently reading Patrick Stewart's autobiography and am at the part where Patrick was signed on, to be in the film Dune. There is an amusing section describing him meeting Sting, and having absolutely no idea who he was. Sting smiled/smirked? as Sir Patrick asked him about what he did, and then what band he was in...and then thinking that when Sting said The Police (who were of course gigantic in 1984), he meant a band made up of policemen, haha. Apparently, Stewart apologized to him later about not knowing who Sting was, but I don't see why he was compelled to do so. I mean, why would an actor with the Royal Shakespeare Company necessarily know who he was?

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    I'm currently reading Patrick Stewart's autobiography and am at the part where Patrick was signed on, to be in the film Dune. There is an amusing section describing him meeting Sting, and having absolutely no idea who he was. Sting smiled/smirked? as Sir Patrick asked him about what he did, and then what band he was in...and then thinking that when Sting said The Police (who were of course gigantic in 1984), he meant a band made up of policemen, haha. Apparently, Stewart apologized to him later about not knowing who Sting was, but I don't see why he was compelled to do so. I mean, why would an actor with the Royal Shakespeare Company necessarily know who he was?

Neil

I don't see why Stewart would later feel the need to apologize, either.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 View Post
    Any guitar players out there made the plunge for Beato's new guitar "arpeggio masterclass"?
    https://beatoguitar.com
    Just popping in to say I got another email about this Beato lesson, this time offering it at 1/3 of the regular price. During the introductory period it was being offered at $75 (1/2 of the regular price of $150), now they're offering it to me for $50! I have so many different online guitar options right now that I'll probably pass because, for me, I find that focusing one just one or two teachers at a time is most effective. Yet somehow this is still tempting to me.

I have read both Stewart Copeland and Andy Summer's autobiographies. They definitely both have mixed feelings on Sting. Both great reads if you are interested in The Police or other bands they were involved with.

Sir Patrick (though he wasn't Sir then) apologized to Sting for one simple reason: Sir Patrick is a gentleman, in the very best sense of the word. The most amazing thing about him is his elegant voice: he grew up in Yorkshire.

And, for those of us who remember the Ice Bucket challenge, he handled that in quite a gentlemanly way also:
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

^Yeah, he did handle that the best, hands (and tumbler) down!

Of the three interviews he's done with members of the Police my favorite is the one he did with Andy Sommers. Andy was a joy. He seems like the most sane of the three. Phenomenal musician.

^ Saw him do a solo gig in Cleveland in the 80s. Excellent, it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven8 View Post
    Just popping in to say I got another email about this Beato lesson, this time offering it at 1/3 of the regular price. During the introductory period it was being offered at $75 (1/2 of the regular price of $150), now they're offering it to me for $50! I have so many different online guitar options right now that I'll probably pass because, for me, I find that focusing one just one or two teachers at a time is most effective. Yet somehow this is still tempting to me.
    beato.png

All in on Beato as of now... The Ear Training course has really been of good regarding recognising intervals and chords as well as Prima Vista playing.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

The chairman of a company I once worked for (an elderly, wealthy and highly cultured Old Etonian) lived in a grand house in north London which I visited on one occasion. His next door neighbours on either side were Annie Lennox and Sting. Lennox he described as a lovely woman. The words he had for Sting were not remotely printable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The most amazing thing about him is his elegant voice: he grew up in Yorkshire.
    I realise that many people think of Yorkshire as a medieval shithole where people sleep next to their cattle, marry their siblings and have an instinctive distrust of book learning. Speaking as a Yorkshireman myself, this only 85% true. There are at least several of us who can speak intelligibly.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Some years ago -- less than ten, more than five -- we went on a package trip to China. (Not my choice; my father-in-law really wanted to go and paid everyone's air fare....)

One of the people on our bus was a Yorkshireman. Absolutely lovely fellow. He told the most wonderful stories, except that we could only make out about 60% of what he actually said.

My other experience with Tykes was a fish'n'chip shop that used to be in Berkeley -- named, of all things, "Yorkshire Fish and Chips." The proprietor (who was also a lovely fellow) could more or less communicate to his American customers, but it was obviously an effort. He was proud of his heritage and accent, as is only proper.

He had a wall hanging of a traditional Yorkshire folk song, "On Ikla Moor." It read something like this. (Note: Every verse follows the same pattern; I'll just give the full pattern for the first verse.)

Whaar es-ta bin sin Ah saw thee, Ah saw thee?
    On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
    Whar es-ta tha bin sin Ah saw thee?
    On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
    On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at
    On Ilkla Mooar baht 'at

Tha's bahn to ketch thi deeath o' cowd

Then we s'll 'e to bury thee

Then t'wurrums'll come an' eyt thee up

Then t'ducks'll come an' eyt up t'wurrums

Then we s'll come an' eyt up t'ducks

Then we s'll all 'e etten thee

That's whar we get us ooan back
    I mean, a native speaker of English can more or less make it out when spelt out that way. But when he sang it, as he did often ... Well. Oh, my. "Whar" came out something like "Wheearr." I cannot do justice to the rest. He mentioned once that "baht 'at," which I had guessed to mean "About eight," actually meant "Without a hat."

Again, I've nothing against Yorkshire; I've never been there (the closest I've come is Manchester), and the only folks I've met from there have been quite pleasant to know. But a Babel fish would help...

^ The guy on the bus didn't live in a hole in the road, did he?

He mentioned once that "baht 'at," which I had guessed to mean "About eight," actually meant "Without a hat."
    I listened to that song not very long ago, due to a chain of associations after rewatching The Singing Detective. Lately, through some quirk in the algorithm, YouTube has been recommending to me Scottish Jacobite songs. (And after all, wha wadna fecht for Cherlie?) One of the most popular is "The Wee German Lairdie," in which King George is portrayed as digging in a garden "But the hose and but the breeks," meaning without stockings and without trousers. I guess "baht" is the Yorkshire version of "but."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Some years ago -- less than ten, more than five -- we went on a package trip to China. (Not my choice; my father-in-law really wanted to go and paid everyone's air fare....)

One of the people on our bus was a Yorkshireman. Absolutely lovely fellow. He told the most wonderful stories, except that we could only make out about 60% of what he actually said.

My other experience with Tykes was a fish'n'chip shop that used to be in Berkeley -- named, of all things, "Yorkshire Fish and Chips." The proprietor (who was also a lovely fellow) could more or less communicate to his American customers, but it was obviously an effort. He was proud of his heritage and accent, as is only proper.

He had a wall hanging of a traditional Yorkshire folk song, "On Ikla Moor." It read something like this. (Note: Every verse follows the same pattern; I'll just give the full pattern for the first verse.)

I mean, a native speaker of English can more or less make it out when spelt out that way. But when he sang it, as he did often ... Well. Oh, my. "Whar" came out something like "Wheearr." I cannot do justice to the rest. He mentioned once that "baht 'at," which I had guessed to mean "About eight," actually meant "Without a hat."

Again, I've nothing against Yorkshire; I've never been there (the closest I've come is Manchester), and the only folks I've met from there have been quite pleasant to know. But a Babel fish would help...
    “On Ilkla Moor” is a bit of whimsical nonsense that is printed on mugs, teatowels and other items of tat that are sold to tourists of the least discerning kind. The dialect involved is a reflection of how people in rural parts of Yorkshire spoke 100 years ago. It’s about as much relevant today as Uncle Remus and about as authentically Yorkshire as green beer on St Patrick’s Day is Irish.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I do have this album. (Not bought as a tourist.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    “On Ilkla Moor” is a bit of whimsical nonsense that is printed on mugs, teatowels and other items of tat that are sold to tourists of the least discerning kind. The dialect involved is a reflection of how people in rural parts of Yorkshire spoke 100 years ago. It’s about as much relevant today as Uncle Remus and about as authentically Yorkshire as green beer on St Patrick’s Day is Irish.
    I'm pretty sure the shopowner wasn't from a century ago, but I could be wrong. It was the seventies and he looked about 40 or so.

Sort of a cool video. Gerald Undone does these creator studio visits and looks at the BTS stuff.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I realise that many people think of Yorkshire as a medieval shithole where people sleep next to their cattle, marry their siblings and have an instinctive distrust of book learning. Speaking as a Yorkshireman myself, this only 85% true. There are at least several of us who can speak intelligibly.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

ok just noticed that Stew's PC desktop background is the infamous Sting shirtless lute photo, lmao

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNg8kFcCUAAdsBP.jpg
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Prog enough?

Some great stories from Michael McDonald. And such a nice touch at the end with that performance!

Great interview with Mc Donald.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post

Prog enough?
    He's from where I am prestently sitting, in my office in Ferguson, MO (my oldest sister went to high school with him). I look forward to hearing this whole interview.
    Rick is a Youtube treasure!!!