Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Beato... yeah or nay?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Dear Penthouse Forum..."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Great Guy and videos!!

This:

(I really appreciate it!)
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

This thread is So Much shorter when you put the usual suspects on "ignore!"
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Rick Beato has no idea who I am and I'm okay with that.
    <sig out of order>

Rick Beato is my illegitimate third cousin. I mean no he's not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    A fellow musician I know, whose partner plays in a philharmonic orchestra, told me how they record the repertory nowadays. Section by section, never playing a segment longer than half a minute, usually less than 10 seconds. I wonder if they did that before the digital age.

Another folk (world music) singer I befriended has confessed that whenever she records a new material they auto-tune her (strong) voice, not because there are any issues with her vocal performances, but just to make it palpable to modern audience.

Another friend of mine knows a producer whose principal daily job is quantising and auto-tuning the material recorded by metal bands, big and small. He claims that there is no such thing as unprocessed metal album these days. At least he does not know any band that would decline/not ask to "improve" their sound on the console.

The music doctoring is rife indeed and the technology keeps giving producers more and more powerful tools, but nobody really forces anyone into listening to any over-engineered studio productions. I largely stick to unprocessed or lightly processed live recordings (when it comes to mainstream rock/jazz-related music at least) and I very rarely find any issues with the production. Pick what you like and ignore what you don't; isn't it simple?
    It is. people are free to listen to music anyway they want...there are no golden rules, just preferences. My daughter listens to heavily processed music because that is what she and her friends have to listen to (21 Pilots, BTS, Panic At The Disco etc.). She loves it and has a real passion for music which delights me.

For my part I record and produce a lot of music for a lot of different avenues. Last year I was working on a project for a folk artist who loved all the parts except the way I did her vocals. She insisted on auto-tuning and brickwall limiting on the final master just to "sound current". I refused and produced it the way I thought was best. She has since gone onto another producer which fit her better. I understood.

I still get a shit-load of tracking work though, but I would rather not produce anything that sounds "current" if that is what the standard is. Simple indeed.

As far as recording orchestras go, I don't think I have EVER done a session where the music is recorded section by section. I can't imagine how that would make editing any easier and can see a lot of problems actually doing it that way.

I did a show for Bravo that was a three camera shoot. We recorded the National Art Centre Orchestra and ran down each cue three times. That meant that when editing the finals (and again the TV world puts visuals first) I had to basically synch up music from 9 different sources (the video editors would often edit shots that weren't following the true audio time-line). With today's editing tools it wasn't hard to get everything to fit, but if I had to build up a final track where the orchestra kept stopping from one section to another that would have been a nightmare.

The sound of hitting a new section cold as opposed to hitting it running is so radically different I can't see the benefits, whereas editing among three takes of a complete performance is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    "Dear Penthouse Forum..."
    Classic!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I've seen a few of his videos but find them to be a little bit tedious to sit all the way through, but then again, I'm not a musician. My interest in a song usually doesn't go beyond whether or not I like it. I don't really pay attention to what kind of guitar was used or that it was tuned to EOABF or whatever. It's not likely that any kind of drill-down to the neener nanner discussion would ever change my mind on a song I didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    aith01
    Now would you like to rethink your statement of fact?
    No, because I never stated it as "fact".

Frippster's Cardiacs thread has over 727,000 views, so Skullhead may have to seek a new sense of self worth?

There are view counts available for every thread. Whether those are individuals or cumulative views, I don't know. Probably cumulative.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I've seen a few of his videos but find them to be a little bit tedious to sit all the way through, but then again, I'm not a musician. My interest in a song usually doesn't go beyond whether or not I like it. I don't really pay attention to what kind of guitar was used or that it was tuned to EOABF or whatever. It's not likely that any kind of drill-down to the neener nanner discussion would ever change my mind on a song I didn't like.
    I'm not a musician myself either, but Rick Beato is great and certainly has enough of charisma to keep attention of us who aren't musicians. Also if we want to find out a lot of info from someone who is a real connoisseur, Rick Beato is such a person.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Frippster's Cardiacs thread has over 727,000 views, so Skullhead may have to seek a new sense of self worth?
    I hope that's not an invitation
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    I have started 18 threads since joining this site.
    Of those 18 threads, 15 of them have had over 5K views.

Some of the most epic threads ever seen on this site I have been the OP.

And did you have THE LARGEST CROWD at any Inauguration in History?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The real shame is that some great posts by people I respect and enjoy get buried by this broken record.

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Thanks for the soapbox...
    I have started 18 threads since joining this site.
    Of those 18 threads, 15 of them have had over 5K views.

Some of the most epic threads ever seen on this site I have been the OP. YES, the GENESIS was started by Skullhead
    Goodbye.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Juba View Post
    I'm not a musician myself either, but Rick Beato is great and certainly has enough of charisma to keep attention of us who aren't musicians. Also if we want to find out a lot of info from someone who is a real connoisseur, Rick Beato is such a person.
    You weren’t invited back, so what are you doing here? Goodbye.

Sean gets out the broom!!

Nothing like a little spring house cleaning!
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Sean gets out the broom!!
    . Thank You!

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The real shame is that some great posts by people I respect and enjoy get buried by this broken record.

Goodbye.
    Not pleasant to have to kick people out, I imagine. But I think it was the right decision.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I cleaned up this thread a bit instead of closing it because there was some quality discussion here in spite of everything else.

Please feel free to carry on.

I first saw Rick Beato with his interview with Steve Vai. The audio is a bit crap here and there, but it's certainly one of my favourite conversations about music on the internet. From around the 20min mark they really dig deep into the world of tuplets and nested tuplets in the music of Zappa - especially the Black Page. It's a really lovely interview, and Steve is as brilliant and inspiring as ever

^Amazing stuff. The FZ Guitar Book is one of the most amazing things I've ever seen to this day. SV's ability to do this stuff on shitty cassette tape without any tempi changing is beyond mind-blowing. Hats off to that guy....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I don't know, like I said before I'm not a musician, but to my recollection there was plenty of shitty music before the proliferation of computers in music production.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I don't know, like I said before I'm not a musician, but to my recollection there was plenty of shitty music before the proliferation of computers in music production.
    The Dearly Departed continually conflated Process with Product.