Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: GAME OF THRONES: Final season (8) discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I honestly have no desire to watch that special. I DVR'd it just in case that feeling changes. I did however watch the finale again the other day and liked it less than the first time . Oh well...
    I actually watched the special again yesterday with my father. I enjoyed agian it for the most part.

Just finished the Battle Of Blackwater Bay episode of season 2. Sure was dark... I don't remember tens of thousands of people taking to their keyboards and whining about it though.

Interesting to hear them talking about the bells at King's Landing too. Really enjoying this revisiting of the early seasons!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I'm severely in the minority, and I'm not saying that the last season was great but I have watched it all twice, and some episodes three times. I don't understand all of the really bad reviews. Worst season, probably. Terrible, not by a long shot. You could see Dany heading the direction see was going, Jaime going back to Cersei, Varys or Tyrion getting cooked and I always felt an unexpected person would sit on the throne. I was fine with Arya killing the Night King, just not quite the way it happened. Cersei spent all of her last day just frozen, which wasn't like her. How much time was spent on looking at Cersei? At most it was a little rushed in spots and dragged in spots.

I just watched the special, and now its time to put a great series away for long while.

The eons are closing
    +1 Isles bro! LOL

If i could link the Shatner SNL get a life rant, i would have.

Flawed...of course! You cant 100% stick the landing though when for 80% of your existence you relied on source material then had to extrapolate the last 20%.

That's why no one shit on Blackwater - the episode was actually written by Martin!

And IMO if one watches the last two seasons as ONE season (or mentally approaches it that way as part I amd II) then nothing is drastic as it seems.

We just had to wait a ludicrous amount of time for Part II that we forgot what Part I really was telling us.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    Yeah, I watched the special and was pretty bored. I did laugh when I saw the food truck selling Starbucks.

I still need to re-watch the final ep. After giving myself some time to digest this final season, I will say I am fairly disappointed. I thought, with 2 years in between seasons, they were, and should have been, shooting for the stars. What we received was a sloppy, mediocre, lazy, & rushed offering. At least eps 3 & 5 gave us some fantastic eye-candy, but that wasn't enough. They might as well have had Drogon dump Dany's dead body in the ocean, then fly into a hurricane only to resurface as a bearded fisherman in Buenos Aires.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

I'm going to watch the final episode again and then watch the doc. I don't dislike season 8 exactly and "it's just a TV show" as people have been quick to tell critics, but it was a step down for me on what was otherwise a pretty captivating adventure.

This is not exactly a new theory, but I can appreciate how difficult it is to pick up someone else's project and have to run with it. While there were some concerns about GRRM finishing the books when they started the show, I think the prevailing attitude was that he would. Even in the worst case scenario, GRRM would tell them what they don't know. But as the years went on and no books were published, the team had to morph from adapters to writers. Any way you slice it, I don't think they were adequately prepared for that moment once it came and GRRM became a hot mess. D&D started to develop their exit strategy.

That said, I think when you're writing the most anticipated show on television with the power of HBO and Warner behind you, anything less than the best effort is not an option. But it felt to me as if the last two seasons were planned, outlined, and written by a very small group of people and decision makers without the proper checks and balances. As a result, characters were haphazardly put in place to move the plot along, and several subplots were either left open or completely abandoned.

For the last episode, while there were elements I enjoyed and the ending overall is "mildly satisfying", I think they actually copped out by having such a "life goes on" happy ending - complete with several open-ended future sequel options the franchise can tap into in the coming decades.

I personally think the story could have been more properly told in the 450 minutes they had (with a more believable "descent" plot for Dany). As my mother had put it, she would say stuff like "why are they wasting time on this when there's story to tell?!?".
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

On to season 3 now. I had completely forgotten that the first time we meet Qyburn was when Robb's army arrives at Harrenhal and finds him among the dying.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I re watched the final episode and didn't enjoy it very much. Hopefully GRRM will publish the last book and we can read how it all should have happened. Even if all the characters end in the same place there will be additional plot and character development to help it all make sense, I hope.

Started watching Fear The Walking Dead Season 3 and I didn't got into it and I had exactly the same feeling as for GoT season 8 , not bad but patchy and poorly written and I was kind of giving up and then came episode 4 The 100 which was absolutely amazing and this was what was missing on GoT 8 (and lots of other shows) some clever subplots that give room to real artistic expression and not just some clichés that you see over and over again.Looki g forward to Stranger Things Season 3
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

+1 Isles bro! LOL

If i could link the Shatner SNL get a life rant, i would have.

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post

Flawed...of course! You cant 100% stick the landing though when for 80% of your existence you relied on source material then had to extrapolate the last 20%.

That's why no one shit on Blackwater - the episode was actually written by Martin!

And IMO if one watches the last two seasons as ONE season (or mentally approaches it that way as part I amd II) then nothing is drastic as it seems.

We just had to wait a ludicrous amount of time for Part II that we forgot what Part I really was telling us.

You're on to something here. If the fans were told they were getting a mega final season of 13 episodes with some of them being extra long, the knives might have been in the draw where they belonged instead of being sharpened and ready to do damage. But the long layoff was a huge problem.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post

You're on to something here. If the fans were told they were getting a mega final season of 13 episodes with some of them being extra long, the knives might have been in the draw where they belonged instead of being sharpened and ready to do damage. But the long layoff was a huge problem.
    Ehh...unless the writing was different I don't think this would have made much of a difference. It still would be rushed and underdeveloped, just all delivered at once.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Informal Poll:

Who was worse (i.e. who did you hate more)?
    a. Joffrey Baratheon
    b. Ramsay Bolton
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

I hated Joffrey more. Both of them were twisted, sadistic fucks, but Ramsay was at least a fighter, Joffrey was a coward.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Hard to separate them really, probably Ramsey for flat out evil.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

We have a cat we named Joffrey. I am fond of calling him the c-word when he misbehaves. But unlike his namesake he is not a coward and he is a stone-cold killer. Just ask the colony of grackles next door, they don't even speak his name. Right now he's sleeping in the sun by my office window, dreaming of slaughter.

It's a close call. Joffrey was indeed a coward, a sadistic little pencil-dick with an endless sense of entitlement. Bolton is no coward and a bit better at manipulating people, when he can bother to care. I would guess that Joffrey is a sociopath while Bolton may be a psychopath. I hate Joffrey just a hair more.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ath-psychopath
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Someone asked me the other day to name my top 3 favourite characters from the books or series. I find it near impossible, as there are so many I love that I hate to exclude any. And if we assume that just about everyone would choose at least one of the "main four" protagonists (Arya, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon Snow), that leaves even less room for choosing from the huge pool of second and third (and fourth) tier characters. I still don't know if I can choose from the books. From the series is a bit easier... for me, I have to go with Tyrion, The Hound, and Tywin Lannister. Re-watching the series is reminding me again of what a powerful presence Charles Dance was as Tywin. His scenes are always riveting IMO. I hate to leave out Arya, Jaime, Bronn, etc. but those are my three. Final answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal... View Post
    Informal Poll:

Who was worse (i.e. who did you hate more)?
    a. Joffrey Baratheon
    b. Ramsay Bolton
    Ramsay was worse (as a person), but in terms of who I hated more...easily Joffrey. I loved Ramsay as a character. Joffery was such a whiny little bitch, and I typically hate characters like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Someone asked me the other day to name my top 3 favourite characters from the books or series. I find it near impossible, as there are so many I love that I hate to exclude any. And if we assume that just about everyone would choose at least one of the "main four" protagonists (Arya, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon Snow), that leaves even less room for choosing from the huge pool of second and third (and fourth) tier characters. I still don't know if I can choose from the books. From the series is a bit easier... for me, I have to go with Tyrion, The Hound, and Tywin Lannister. Re-watching the series is reminding me again of what a powerful presence Charles Dance was as Tywin. His scenes are always riveting IMO. I hate to leave out Arya, Jaime, Bronn, etc. but those are my three. Final answer!
    This would certainly be tough for me as well. Tyrion and Tywin need to make my list (completely agree with your comments on Dance)...but between Ramsay, Arya, Bronn, Jamie, The Hound, Varys, Jorah, and Euron (although show Euron sucked anus, so it would probably be an easy one for me to leave out), I'm not sure how I'd choose if forced.

My favorites:

1. Arya
    2. Tywin
    3. Davos

Joffrey or Ramsey? Joffrey. He had more dimension and background in his character. I think it also helped that he was a "kid". There was a familiarity to his behavior and character archetype.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    Off the top of my head mine are

1. Tyrion
    2. Arya
    3. Theon!

But it's really tough call ... ask me tomorrow and I'll probably change my mind.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    The Hound
    Davos
    Arya
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

The interplay between Tywin and Arya was just phenomemal. Maisie Williams said every day on the set with Charles Dance was an acting lesson.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The interplay between Tywin and Arya was just phenomemal. Maisie Williams said every day on the set with Charles Dance was an acting lesson.
    I loved those scenes. But then, I loved every scene with Tywin - particularly those between him and Tyrion. Truly gripping drama from two excellent actors - you could put it up there with films/series that are considered more highbrow than a 'show about dragons'.

I find it interesting, I guess, because a woman & I both hate Ramsay more while my brother - who's currently binge watching the show - hates Joffrey more.

I'm with Ian. Ramsay's flat out evil. Joffrey's a sadist only because he was a spoiled brat who had too much power and because power corrupts. Ramsay was probably like one of those kids who tortured dogs & cats because it was fun.

As for favorites, I'd go with Tyreon, Arya, and until she started going bad, Daenerys. There were other characters I liked but not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    We have a cat we named Joffrey.
    Which begs the questions, how soon after you got him did you realize he was a Joffrey, and what did you call him before?

I am fond of calling him the c-word when he misbehaves.
    What, "cat"?
    “From thirty feet away she looked like a lot of class. From ten feet away she looked like something made up to be seen from thirty feet away.” – Philip Marlowe

Joffrey and Robin Arryn had very similar personalities, but poor Robyn ("make the man fly") was one of the "good guys" so not hated as much and had a much smaller role in the stories. Definitely tells you something about children who are raised by giving them anything they want. Spoiled brats and then some.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.