Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    Yeah, I was skeptical too but seen them twice and was pleasantly surprised at how good Ron fit in to the band, he even sounded close to John Wetton at times. But since Steve Howe was only guesting with the band i'm curious to hear how they'll be on the Steve Howe songs without him
    Like this one...https://youtu.be/ojOZy0M9itQ

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I did it from first note to last note, excluding the intros.
    Unless my maths is off that is a 1% difference in time, although they could really slow down to give Steve more space in the fast bits and rampage in a punky thrash fashion through Soon to ensure they achieve a dead heat

I remember Fire as a hit on the radio way back when, I always liked it. I remember finding out that Carl played the drums on it, so it was a real treat seeing him after all these years. I cant say his vocals were anything like 50 years ago but they were good enough to get by, after all the guy is in his mid 70s! Pretty much the same on the two ELP songs, just enough to add a little extra to the usual instrumentals. I got the feeling Carl was returning the favor for Arthur giving Carl his first big break. Arthur really deserves the recognition especially considering he pioneered the theatrics the had a big influence on many to follow, including Alice Cooper and I'd even say Peter Gabriel
    I was lucky enough to see Arthur Brown give a late night performance at the Glastonbury Festival quite some years back. Unless my memory fails me (it was late and I was fairly relaxed) he had the full fire hat thing going on, and it was very cool to see such an icon from the early days.

OK, then as I suspected my math was off, I was trying to do it on my phone while in a hurry. But if you're correct then that would mean the Bethlehem version was slower, unless you're saying that the 32 second difference is insignificant. My original post was just speculation to get other opinions.
    I'm making no judgment. I'm merely providing the numbers. Personally, I think it's insignificant and likely not deliberate. I would expect similar variation night-to-night on such a long piece unless they deliberately choose to change it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Unless my maths is off that is a 1% difference in time, although they could really slow down to give Steve more space in the fast bits and rampage in a punky thrash fashion through Soon to ensure they achieve a dead heat
    I remember many years ago on here, when this subject first reared its ugly head, sitting on YouTube timing various different performances of Siberian Khatru and coming to the conclusion that the whole "plodding tempos" of latter-day Yes issue was frankly bollocks, and concluding that it was simply the different styles of drumming between White and Bruford that created the illusion of slowed-down tempos.

I obviously had more time on my hands back then...

I was lucky enough to see Arthur Brown give a late night performance at the Glastonbury Festival quite some years back. Unless my memory fails me (it was late and I was fairly relaxed) he had the full fire hat thing going on, and it was very cool to see such an icon from the early days.
    I too loved Arthur Brown at the recent shows, but really wanted the fire hat! I'm guessing that it would be too much trouble for it to be vetted at each venue. Every venue would have to have the act checked for safety. Probably not worth the hassle...

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post
    l guess l missed that one, because of the tight schedule between bands l was using the first part of Asia for a break so that l could catch the Steve Howe part. But I'm not sure that's the best song to compare to Steve's version, Steve doesn't do too much on the original, which could be why they put it the first part of the set, l would be more curious to hear something like Heat of the Moment with Ron on guitar. But now I'm wondering, is it known if this lineup of Asia (minus Steve) is staying together? I've heard a few people say they're just doing this for the tour and also as a John Wetton tribute

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I'm making no judgment. I'm merely providing the numbers. Personally, I think it's insignificant and likely not deliberate. I would expect similar variation night-to-night on such a long piece unless they deliberately choose to change it.
    Ok, thats pretty much where I'm at , l didn't think it was significant enough to qualify as a slower tempo, and yeah, l wondered about the possibility of variations given the length of the song. I always know what l hear but since I'm not a musician l second guess myself, which is why I always look for other opinions on these things
    Last edited by doneg; 06-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.

That could be interesting, maybe in a few years when they run out of new ideas they could try something like that!

This is a good point. The whole fast-thrash-noise bit just before the "victory theme" probably varies every night.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by arj View Post

That's a wicked double headed axe Ron is wielding. I never thought I'd say this but I am now hoping they do an album with Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by abhorsen View Post
    That's a wicked double headed axe Ron is wielding.
    It is. I think it is sort of Ron's "trademark". Search google images with "bumblefoot ron thal" and the first 45-50 pics of him are of him holding a double neck.

Yeah, he likes to switch between fretted and fretless so the double neck is a must.

Hope he has a good chiropractor!

This should be one FUN shooow! I can't wait until Saturday in Baltimore. I refuse to be like some of the old codgers here and the folks who believe themselves to be old. ;-) Should be a great celebration of some great music, bands and times.

I like the "British Lion", though most Americans gave no clue about that.

Well, I had to take a look at some of the so-called "spoilers" this time around as I'm only doing one YES-A Royal Affair Tour show this year and spending gobs of money for me when I take the family on tour in July. I usually like to live in the moment, when it comes to live shows but the songs and variety I've seen here make me that much more excited to be experiencing

I have talked to quite a few of my customers of all ages
    about this tour, and most folks know I am a huge YES-fan but the most common comments when I said who was on the bill, and the order, was "I love ASIA!". Usually not a peep about YES. ;-) Well, I love ASIA, too! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    This should be one FUN shooow! I can't wait until Saturday in Baltimore. I refuse to be like some of the old codgers here and the folks who believe themselves to be old. ;-) Should be a great celebration of some great music, bands and times.
    Prior to seeing the show l thought 4 bands were a bit much, but after seeing the show yeah, it was a fun night, kind of a mini prog festival! However just a heads up for anyone still going to see the show, plan ahead how and when to take your breaks for food, drinks, bathroom, etc., this will minimize how much you might miss. First, Carl Palmer comes on at 630 sharp, although it might vary by a few minutes from venue to venue. Then there is literally no break in between Carl Palmer and John Lodge, none, John comes on right after Carl goes off, then the same thing between John Lodge and Asia, there's a small break between Asia and Yes but then your also dealing with larger crowds and longer lines and risk missing the beginning of Yes. So with that schedule in mind you can decide what part of the show you can risk possibly missing. l seen them on opening night and had no warning of this schedule and as a result l missed half of Asia and almost missed the opening song by Yes, fortunately l got to see the show a second time and was prepared for the tight schedule and got to relax and enjoy all four bands...Enjoy!

Prior to seeing the show l thought 4 bands were a bit much, but after seeing the show yeah, it was a fun night, kind of a mini prog festival! However just a heads up for anyone still going to see the show, plan ahead how and when to take your breaks for food, drinks, bathroom, etc., this will minimize how much you might miss. First, Carl Palmer comes on at 630 sharp, although it might vary by a few minutes from venue to venue. Then there is literally no break in between Carl Palmer and John Lodge, none, John comes on right after Carl goes off, then the same thing between John Lodge and Asia, there's a small break between Asia and Yes but then your also dealing with larger crowds and longer lines and risk missing the beginning of Yes. So with that schedule in mind you can decide what part of the show you can risk possibly missing. l seen them on opening night and had no warning of this schedule and as a result l missed half of Asia and almost missed the opening song by Yes, fortunately l got to see the show a second time and was prepared for the tight schedule and got to relax and enjoy all four bands...Enjoy!
    Sounds like an enterprising fellow can have a successful catheter consession outside the venue?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Sounds like an enterprising fellow can have a successful catheter consession outside the venue?
    Thankfully I'm use to holding my piss at work for hours. Also doesn't hurt I can tie it in a knot if necessary. ;-)

Note to self, drain the weasel AND get a beer BEFORE the show starts so I won't miss a moment. *Save beer cup for emergency. ;-)

Alone with the Mrs. after dinner, kid away, half-watching some compromise movie with the wife from 2005 with Lisa Kudrow, just looked up and guy's sporting an ASIA-tee. Coincidence, I think not. ;-)
    Last edited by luvyesmusic; 06-21-2019 at 12:58 AM.

Just watched some of the vid from a week ago of "Gates of Delirium". WTF is White doing still touring? He can't play anymore. He looks like some old dude just sitting up there randomly wacking a cymbal and snare. It was hard to watch.

Some good moments but also needed some more rehearsal. I still don't get Downes keyboard setup and always having his back to the audience.

I did note that the next night he didn't play on Gates except for Soon. Maybe he realized he was wasting his time.

Ted's revue:

first off show is long - 4 and a half hours. No breaks between first 3 bands. Remove some monitors and mikes and off they go. Palmer was pretty good considering he has a guitarist playing all the emerson parts. Arthur Brown was decent too and I love Fire . He lipsynced the beginning though. I had second row center seat.

Lodge was good. voice not as strong as I remember but still there. good band with him. He did about 40 minutes . Palmer had done about a half hour.

Asia up next. they did an hour. New lead singer/guitarist has very good voice. Howe joins them halfway thru set. they also did Video killed the radio Star and Lucky Man in addition to their hits.

Yes played an hour and 45 including a 23 minute version of Gates of Delirium off Relayer . Alan White has been getting treatment for bacteria in his joints so he has problems with his strength so he doesn't play for at least the first 5 or 6 songs. then he played for a few but sat down again for gates. a guy named Jay schaller played the drums. To my ear the band was not as sharp when he played with them. This guy also played with Asia and billy sherwood in other projects so he's a friend that's filling in. I've always loved Steve Howe's playing. But he was playing some wierd shit tonite- totally out of key and just strange , even for him. He does one acoustic solo number which was very good.

Overall show was good for old fuddy duddy's - this Yes version is not as good as ARW. Singer Jon Davison is good and sounds like Jon Anderson but for me there is no Yes without Jon Anderson, who still sounds phenomenal. and wakeman blows geoff downes off the bandstand. Just put on that live at the apollo I sent you and you'll see.

Meet and greet went well but steve howe wasn't there. Got Palmer to sign a signature stick of his for the collection and also a couple of albums.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Just watched some of the vid from a week ago of "Gates of Delirium". WTF is White doing still touring? He can't play anymore. He looks like some old dude just sitting up there randomly wacking a cymbal and snare. It was hard to watch.

Some good moments but also needed some more rehearsal. I still don't get Downes keyboard setup and always having his back to the audience.

Agree on Alan... Love the guy and had the absolute pleasure to meet him a few times, a true gentleman. I remember the last tour they did with Chris and it really stuck out how much Alan had lost but it was still passable. Anyway the first two times I saw them after Chris died I swore I'd never pay to see them again they were just bad him in particular. I did think at that time they needed a second drummer! I'm glad they did supplement Alan they sound much better but that clip is painful. I'm sure he is still there to give some additional credibility?? Having said that I give him kudos for getting out there if that's his choice... he has been part of one of my favorite bands for what 46/47 years?! His work on Relayer is just brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Ted's revue:

first off show is long - 4 and a half hours. No breaks between first 3 bands. Remove some monitors and mikes and off they go. Palmer was pretty good considering he has a guitarist playing all the emerson parts. Arthur Brown was decent too and I love Fire . He lipsynced the beginning though. I had second row center seat.

Lodge was good. voice not as strong as I remember but still there. good band with him. He did about 40 minutes . Palmer had done about a half hour.

Asia up next. they did an hour. New lead singer/guitarist has very good voice. Howe joins them halfway thru set. they also did Video killed the radio Star and Lucky Man in addition to their hits.

Yes played an hour and 45 including a 23 minute version of Gates of Delirium off Relayer . Alan White has been getting treatment for bacteria in his joints so he has problems with his strength so he doesn't play for at least the first 5 or 6 songs. then he played for a few but sat down again for gates. a guy named Jay schaller played the drums. To my ear the band was not as sharp when he played with them. This guy also played with Asia and billy sherwood in other projects so he's a friend that's filling in. I've always loved Steve Howe's playing. But he was playing some wierd shit tonite- totally out of key and just strange , even for him. He does one acoustic solo number which was very good.

Overall show was good for old fuddy duddy's - this Yes version is not as good as ARW. Singer Jon Davison is good and sounds like Jon Anderson but for me there is no Yes without Jon Anderson, who still sounds phenomenal. and wakeman blows geoff downes off the bandstand. Just put on that live at the apollo I sent you and you'll see.

Meet and greet went well but steve howe wasn't there. Got Palmer to sign a signature stick of his for the collection and also a couple of albums.
    Is that Ted from the Mary Tyler Moore show?

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Yes..
    While the original song itself is no toe tapper, this just seems to drag on and on and I just don't understand why they chose this song other than the fact Alan played on it for John.
    The thing I always loved about Yes' version of America, they made it their own, they Yesified it. This version reminded me of a wedding band(and I apologize for being so blunt).
    I love what Yes is doing these days in their shows, stretching themselves,Gates sounds awesome, but even Geoff's piano playing sounded off on this song.

Maybe a duet with just Jon D and Geoff would work better, but this just didn't work me me.
    Instant Karma would have been a better pick, more life and spirit about it than Imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Instant Karma would have been a better pick, more life and spirit about it than Imagine.
    And already referenced in "I've Seen All Good People".

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/