Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: YES Summer Tour 2019- w/Asia, Carl Palmer & John Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I do find it rich how "fans" who cannot "perform" like they did 50 years ago slag artists for the same thing.

Where's that mirror emoji?

for sure

I kinda give up

do people eat the same meal every day and compare it the best one they ever had?

all Yes posts devolve into a No Yes/No Jon thing

ANYWAY. the musicians whom played last night did a great job and the setlist is inspired. in 5 years we aren't having this conversation. from now until then I'll appreciate reality
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Does anyone have a sense of whether more dates will be added to this tour? Its turning out to be more interesting that the average summer Yestival... thanks in advance for any insight here!
    This subject was addressed earlier in the thread, the current dates are pretty much it, at least for North America

Quote Originally Posted by doneg View Post
    This subject was addressed earlier in the thread, the current dates are pretty much it, at least for North America

Gotcha, thanks for the response...and damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Score2112 View Post
    Gotcha, thanks for the response...and damn!
    If the tour isn't coming to your area then maybe it's time to plan a trip!

This being the only chance to cash in on the 50th anniversary I have to believe they're going to extend this touring cycle as far out as possible. So if they're not coming your way on this leg don't be surprised if there's a return visit later this year. Or even early next year.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    This being the only chance to cash in on the 50th anniversary I have to believe they're going to extend this touring cycle as far out as possible. So if they're not coming your way on this leg don't be surprised if there's a return visit later this year. Or even early next year.

Henry addressed this a bit in that there were no fall tour plans

perhaps he can update?!

I go to at least one show a tour for them these days and this one was my most favorite post Chris show since Tales Drama
    2trevorsforlife

This being the only chance to cash in on the 50th anniversary
    Er... no. That was last year, when they did their 50th anniversary tour. That finished with Japan dates in February.

I have to believe they're going to extend this touring cycle as far out as possible. So if they're not coming your way on this leg don't be surprised if there's a return visit later this year. Or even early next year.
    They've got the Cruise to the Edge 2020 and European touring spring 2020. No further touring appears to be planned between this leg and then. That said, it's not impossible, although were they to fit another leg in, I suspect it would be short and probably South America.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Any thoughts on Arthur Brown's performances? I've seen some clips and he seems as animated as ever. Facepaint and a wild headdress (not flaming). Seems like Carl picked a couple ELP tunes he could handle singing too- Knife Edge and Karn #1. And of course they do Fire!

Last edited by Sean; 06-18-2019 at 11:16 AM.

W/Jon D!

John Lodge just keeps rocking, love this song and he did great on Ride and Isn't Life.
    This is perfect for him in my opinion, because as much as I love his work, I don't think I could take a whole hour and half of just him on vocals. When he and Justin are sharing leads and harmonizing, it's pure magic.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Second version seems slower. I think Howe was having trouble cleanly articulating some runs at the faster pace.

^I think expectations have to be reduced at this late stage. Was it comparable to their 00s versions? Not really- and forget about the 70s! But that second version was not an embarrassment either. It's early in the tour so it may get better as well.

I give them credit for even attempting the track at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^I think expectations have to be reduced at this late stage. Was it comparable to their 00s versions? Not really- and forget about the 70s! But that second version was not an embarrassment either. It's early in the tour so it may get better as well.

I give them credit for even attempting the track at all.
    I just accept the simplified approach they're taking (Steve primarily) to "Gates". For whatever reason, what I do miss are all the little keyboard flourishes that Moraz played on the record, like the Fender Rhodes runs during the intro.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Any thoughts on Arthur Brown's performances? I've seen some clips and he seems as animated as ever. Facepaint and a wild headdress (not flaming). Seems like Carl picked a couple ELP tunes he could handle singing too- Knife Edge and Karn #1. And of course they do Fire!
    What did Brown sing? I thought the ELP numbers were instrumentals...?

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    What did Brown sing? I thought the ELP numbers were instrumentals...?

Henry
    "Knife Edge" from the first album, a vocal bit.

And "Karn Evil #9, 1st Impression" aka "Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends..."
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

I just accept the simplified approach they're taking (Steve primarily) to "Gates". For whatever reason, what I do miss are all the little keyboard flourishes that Moraz played on the record, like the Fender Rhodes runs during the intro.

Howe's Fender Steel work on the soon half was stellar. worth $40 alone!

I can't wait to see this again. just a question of when!
    2trevorsforlife

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And of course they do Fire!
    I guess he's not allowed to set his hat on fire anymore.

I'm not that into Billy's flange sound. just sounds too much like an effect than a tone

small quibble
    2trevorsforlife

Second version seems slower. I think Howe was having trouble cleanly articulating some runs at the faster pace.
    Hmm, I'm not so sure but l was hoping to hear some more opinions on this. That second version looks like it's from the Holmdel,NJ show on Sunday, which I was at. When l was at the show it didn't seem any different than the Bethlehem show which l was also at. But just to be sure l watched and listened to it closely several times, and this is where I'd like to get more opinions. This might sound odd to say but my thinking is the poor sound quality of the recording is kind of giving it the effect of going slower, the sound is a lot 'thinner' and anemic sounding compared to the Bethlehem show, l mean for one listen to the drums and how they sound. But when you get further into the song, 5-6 minutes, even though the sound is no better if you listen more to the beat and the rhythm it really doesn't sound any slower, at least to me. I first started to notice and think about this when l watched some videos from the AC show, at first they 'seemed' slower but after further listening I felt the poor and 'thin' sound quality was making it seem like it was going slower. Any other opinions on this?

^^ I took the scientific approach and just checked both videos. The Bethlehem performance clocks in at 23:05, whereas the second version clocks in at 22:33.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^ I took the scientific approach and just checked both videos. The Bethlehem performance clocks in at 23:05, whereas the second version clocks in at 22:33.
    Yeah but if you take into account the intro time the difference between the two l found to be only about 10-15 seconds, but that was a quick check, I'll have to check my math again

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I was skeptical at first about this Asia lineup and Thai as frontman, but from the video I thought Asia sounds really good.
    Who can replace John Wetton? answer: no one, but I think Thai does a great job and his vocals fit well with the Asia lineage.
    He came out a bit pitchy those first few seconds but settled in and sounds great.
    I'm impressed and would be happy to attend an Asia concert.
    Yeah, I was skeptical too but seen them twice and was pleasantly surprised at how good Ron fit in to the band, he even sounded close to John Wetton at times. But since Steve Howe was only guesting with the band i'm curious to hear how they'll be on the Steve Howe songs without him

I remember Fire as a hit on the radio way back when, I always liked it. I remember finding out that Carl played the drums on it, so it was a real treat seeing him after all these years. I cant say his vocals were anything like 50 years ago but they were good enough to get by, after all the guy is in his mid 70s! Pretty much the same on the two ELP songs, just enough to add a little extra to the usual instrumentals. I got the feeling Carl was returning the favor for Arthur giving Carl his first big break. Arthur really deserves the recognition especially considering he pioneered the theatrics the had a big influence on many to follow, including Alice Cooper and I'd even say Peter Gabriel

Yeah but if you take into account the intro time the difference between the two l found to be only about 10-15 seconds, but that was a quick check, I'll have to check my math again
    I did it from first note to last note, excluding the intros.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I did it from first note to last note, excluding the intros.
    OK, then as I suspected my math was off, I was trying to do it on my phone while in a hurry. But if you're correct then that would mean the Bethlehem version was slower, unless you're saying that the 32 second difference is insignificant. My original post was just speculation to get other opinions.