Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CD stores in Los Angeles/San Diego

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Tentatively I plan to hit Amoebas, Freakbeat, SecondSpin and maybe CD Traders on a Monday and try to get to Factory Records and SecondSpin (Costa Mesa) in some spare time (which might be in short supply). They are pretty close to Anaheim so it shouldn't be a problem. Might have to xnay Rhino and Rockaway (some others as well) this trip and get to them next time (which might be next December, depending how the stars align). We are going to take our time going to San Diego so hopefully will check out Lou's Records and Spin Records (Carlsbad).
    In San Diego will have a day to putz around so will definitely go to Record City and Thirsty Moon and maybe a couple others - M-Theory, etc. Can't wait to hit some stores. It's so much more fun than ordering on line, my opinion of course.
    Thanks to everyone for their input!

Regards,
    Jon

Regards,
    Jon
    Where is Cd Traders?

Jon Neudorf
    18926 Ventura Blvd (Tarzana area). Will only get to it if I have time later in the day.

Regards,
    Jon

Banned
    18926 Ventura Blvd (Tarzana area). Will only get to it if I have time later in the day.

Regards,
    Jon
    What city is it in?

Jon Neudorf
    Los Angeles I think.

Regards,
    Jon

The west San Fernando Valley
    "So it goes."
    -Kurt Vonnegut

Second Spin is not worth your time. Worst stores in LA. You'll be in and out in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What city is it in?
    CD Trader is in Tarzana, not far from Freakbeat. Nice big store, large inventory. Traffic is a bitch, though.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    CD Trader is in Tarzana, not far from Freakbeat. Nice big store, large inventory. Traffic is a bitch, though.
    Really looking to hitting some stores! Getting there, not so much.

Regards,
    Jon

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    Second Spin is not worth your time. Worst stores in LA. You'll be in and out in a minute.
    Why? Please elaborate.

Regards,
    Jon

Why? Please elaborate.

Regards,
    Jon
    My findings were that they are way overpriced for used. And their selection is very mainstream.

I agree, not wort the trip.

There is a store about a mile away from Freakbeat on the way to CD Trader, though. So, it is not out of your way if you want to make a stop. The CD Trader is about 8 miles from Freakbeat.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks for the advice and info! It might be worth going since it is close to Freakbeat and I plan to go there. The thing is most of these stores will probably be better than anything around Saskatoon so it can't hurt to look. So, I take it you guys recommend CD Trader? Might be able to get there if time allows.

Regards,
    Jon

I will be in Burbank / Glendale area next week, then San Francisco from Thursday to Sunday. Hope to spend some time at some of these stores during the trip. Thankfully not going with my wife, so no whining about "what takes you so long??"

Any recomendations for stores in or about San Francisco / Berkeley area besides Amoeba?
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I will be in Burbank / Glendale area next week, then San Francisco from Thursday to Sunday. Hope to spend some time at some of these stores during the trip. Thankfully not going with my wife, so no whining about "what takes you so long??"

Any recomendations for stores in or about San Francisco / Berkeley area besides Amoeba?
    Rasputins (very large selection) and Aquarius Records (pretty cool little store) in San Francisco.

Regards,
    Jon

Jefferson James
    Jon, if you DO hit Second Spin in Sherman Oaks on Monday, please let me know, I work in the area and we could at least say a quick "hi" -- I know you're gonna be swamped, there's so much to do and see here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    My findings were that they are way overpriced for used. And their selection is very mainstream.

I agree, not wort the trip.

There is a store about a mile away from Freakbeat on the way to CD Trader, though. So, it is not out of your way if you want to make a stop. The CD Trader is about 8 miles from Freakbeat.
    I guess it depends what you're a finding. I found a Bryan Adams cd for $3.99. Too bad it wasn't a Bryan Adams cd in the case, it was classical music. I also found a Simple Minds cd from $3.99, but it wasn't a remaster.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post

If you are a vinyl hunter, there is a great vinyl specialty shop in Burbank. I didn't previously mention them in the thread since their CD selection is very limited.

Atomic Records - http://www.atomicrecordsla.com/Home.html

GREAT selection, reasonable prices and not too many hipsters.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Jon Neudorf
    Had fun today. Hit amoeba first, then freakbeat, second spin and cd traders. Some good finds for sure. Sad cafe - misplaced ideals/facades and horslips - man who built america were pleasant surprises. Been looking for those since cds came into existence. Had them on vinyl back in the day.
    On wednesday we head to san diego. Going to take our time along the coast highway.

Regards,
    Jon

Banned
    Had fun today. Hit amoeba first, then freakbeat, second spin and cd traders. Some good finds for sure. Sad cafe - misplaced ideals/facades and horslips - man who built america were pleasant surprises. Been looking for those since cds came into existence. Had them on vinyl back in the day.
    On wednesday we head to san diego. Going to take our time along the coast highway.

Regards,
    Jon
    When you say Sad Cafe, do you mean the band that Paul Young was in before becoming a Mechanic?

Jon Neudorf
    Yes.
    Always really dug Facades and Misplaced Ideals. It migjt be pop rock but it was fine stuff.

Regards,
    Jon

Yes.
    Always really dug Facades and Misplaced Ideals. It migjt be pop rock but it was fine stuff.

Regards,
    Jon
    You really need their first album, Fanx-Ta-Ra. One side is pop, but the other is extremely proggy, about as good as it got in 1977.

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks for rhe rec!

Jon Neudorf
    On our way to san diego stopped at spin records in Carlsbad and picked up the new steven wilson and at Lou's records found Pallas - XXV used. Wanted to hear this one when it was released but it kind of slipped by unnoticed.

Regards,
    Jon

Jon Neudorf
    Made our way to the Great White North yesterday and arrived back into the deep freeze late last night. What a shock and yes, it really does suck to be back. God, I already miss the warm weather!

Anyways, here is a complete list of what I spent my hard earned money on down south:

Amoeba:
    Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
    Beardfish - The Void
    James LaBrie - Elements of Persuasion
    Sad Cafe - Misplaced Ideals/Facades
    Starcastle - Starcastle
    Yes - Fly From Here (call me crazy but loved the samples so was happy to get acquainted with this one)
    Affector - Harmagedon
    The Cars - Move Like This
    Coheed and Cambria - The Afterman - Ascension
    Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult
    Muse - The 2nd Law
    ELO - Face The Music, No Answer
    IQ - The Wake, Subteranea
    Bryan Ferry - Frantic
    Pendragon - Kowtow, Believe
    Jethro Tull - Minstrel in the Gallery
    The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn
    Leprous - Bilateral
    Pain of Salvation - Road Salt 2, Scarsick

Second Spin (Sherman Oaks)
    Supertramp - Undelibly Stamped
    Derek Sherinian - Oceania
    Beardfish - Mammoth

CD Trader
    Donald Fagan - Morph the Cat
    Asia - XXX
    Horslips - The man Who Built America

Freakbeat:
    Queen - Jazz
    Roxy Music - Siren
    Van Der Graaf Generator - Trisector
    Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True

Spin Records (Carlsbad)
    Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing

Lou's Records (Encinitas)
    Pallas - XXV

SanDiego (Best Buy)
    Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted
    Flying Colors - Flying Colors

I think that's the complete list. Lots of good deals and remastered editions (both new and used). Overall, I am very happy with what I got. Oh yeah, lots of cheap beer as well! Didn't have time to check out many shops in San Diego so will save that for next time.

My wife already has a trip lined up for Palm Springs next April so see you all next year! Kerry, will have to connect next time!

Regards,
    Jon

Jefferson James
    My wife already has a trip lined up for Palm Springs next April so see you all next year! Kerry, will have to connect next time!
    Nice scores, Jon! Sorry we didn't connect, but Palm Springs is a definite possibility -- we love it out there! Glad you're home safe...

Jon Neudorf
    Thanks Kerry! Next April my wife has to go to Palm Springs for the weekend so we will probably make it an extended holiday (just like we did this time). My son and grandaughter loved Disneyland so much it would be fun to do it again.

Regards,
    Jon