Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Let's speculate. Who does he go to?

Dolphins? Bengals?

Oh, the Patriots I bet. That would be hilarious.
    I like Miami. Thought they'd go QB with their first round pick last night.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I like Miami. Thought they'd go QB with their first round pick last night.
    The channel I watched last night was speculating that Miami is tanking 2019 for the top pick next year.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The channel I watched last night was speculating that Miami is tanking 2019 for the top pick next year.

Is there a can't-miss franchise QB available in 2020? How do you convince 53 professional athletes and an entire coaching staff to tank when all their jobs will be on the line?

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    You have no choice. They do it almost every year!
    I assume there is a joke in there that I'm missing because they haven't drafted a defensive tackle in the first round since 2011.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Is there a can't-miss franchise QB available in 2020? How do you convince 53 professional athletes and an entire coaching staff to tank when all their jobs will be on the line?
    If I was a GM/owner and wanted to tank I would trot out the worst possible team I could. Don't try to convince people to not play hard (that's probably impossible), but just get people who either can't play well, are very old, or are very young. I would also try to collect as much draft capital for the future and clear cap space (not sure if Miami is doing either of those).

Certainly a team with Fitzmagic as QB and few offensive weapons isn't going to be stellar over al the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    If I was a GM/owner and wanted to tank I would trot out the worst possible team I could. Don't try to convince people to not play hard (that's probably impossible), but just get people who either can't play well, are very old, or are very young. I would also try to collect as much draft capital for the future and clear cap space (not sure if Miami is doing either of those).

Certainly a team with Fitzmagic as QB and few offensive weapons isn't going to be stellar over al the long haul.
    That would be truly taking your fan base for granted. Especially, since there is no guarantee you'll be able to turn it around at will, even while stockpiling a plethora of top draft picks. You could wallow in mediocrity for years...decades...and you'd have to over pay free agents to go play there. Not sure any franchise is willing to do this by design. Some are just inept is all.

Well, our new HC has gotten chippy with reporters whenever they use the word tank. He gets downright testy. Good. That's what I want him to do. Get pissed off. I simply will not root for them to tank. Tanking doesn't guarantee anything ( except losing and sucking).

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't think Gettleman felt that much pressure to take a QB. The team has needs all over the field and none of the QBs in this year's draft are projected to be big stars.

What Gettleman does - with the exception of the Beckham trade, which I still think came from above Gettleman - is do the moves that have the greatest short-term upside *for him*

Last year, the "safe" move was to go with Barkely and hope that Eli still had a good year left in him. GMs with winning records don't get fired. He under-estimated how bad the O-Line was.

This year, he's taking a QB to satisfy some who demand it, but he kept Eli around to actually play the position this year, and is dangling Jones as the starter for 2020 - or even 2021. Not to mention that you don't draft a player at 6 and then sit him on the bench for 2 years, or even 1 year. If you need to do that, then you shouldn't have taken him at 6. And in the case of this particular player, he would have been there at 17, so the Giants could have taken an elite DE at 6 instead of waiting to 17 and then getting what was left. Just really stupid.

Nothing is being done for the long-term future of the team. Of course Gettleman will fail and be fired and he will be gone and Barkley will be gone or well past his prime before the Giants are ever a contender again.

The Haskins/Jones thing is being manufactured by ESPN. While I do think Haskins will be a better pro than Jones, I don't think Haskins is going to be anything special at the NFL level. The idea that Haskins is going to torture the Giants for years in a Redskins uniform while Jones never does anything is something I'll have to see to believe.

Hey, if one is a Cowboys or Eagles fan, go ahead and laugh it up. These are dark times ahead for the Giants.
    I agree the OBJ trade came from upstairs and the signing, bonus and trade left the Giants eating a bunch of cash this year. Not one of their better moves. But getting Jones doesn't have an impact this year. They believe in the 'sit and learn year'. Worked for Mahomes (note: not comparing the two). If Jones plays this year its because either Eli gets injured or they are really bad and out of it early. I hope he surprises when he gets his shot, but I don't have hopes for anything above 8-8 this year. And that's because the Giants showed a pulse at the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Well, our new HC has gotten chippy with reporters whenever they use the word tank.
    Well dolphins don't like to be caged.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Well.....burp......

That would be truly taking your fan base for granted. Especially, since there is no guarantee you'll be able to turn it around at will, even while stockpiling a plethora of top draft picks. You could wallow in mediocrity for years...decades...and you'd have to over pay free agents to go play there. Not sure any franchise is willing to do this by design. Some are just inept is all.
    You can also wallow in mediocrity for failing to admit that you need a full rebuild and trying to keep one foot in relevance. Everything is a cycle...sometimes the franchise will be good, sometimes it won't.

And certainly you need to choose well with draft picks and free agents and all that. But to me that is a different issue.

The eons are closing
    I read earlier on CBS sports that Phish are almost done with a deal for Rosen for pick #48
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    I assume there is a joke in there that I'm missing because they haven't drafted a defensive tackle in the first round since 2011.
    Nah, I misread you. I read DL (Defensive Line.)

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    I read earlier on CBS sports that Phish are almost done with a deal for Rosen for pick #48
    It ended up being #62, but it happened. Nice value for the Dolphins.

The eons are closing
    Total Redbird mismanagement

This year, he's taking a QB to satisfy some who demand it, but he kept Eli around to actually play the position this year, and is dangling Jones as the starter for 2020 - or even 2021. Not to mention that you don't draft a player at 6 and then sit him on the bench for 2 years, or even 1 year. If you need to do that, then you shouldn't have taken him at 6. And in the case of this particular player, he would have been there at 17, so the Giants could have taken an elite DE at 6 instead of waiting to 17 and then getting what was left. Just really stupid.
    I saw some headlines today saying that they were planning on sitting him for up to three years.

An interesting strategy, for sure.

Hey, if one is a Cowboys or Eagles fan, go ahead and laugh it up. These are dark times ahead for the Giants.
    Oh, we are. Believe me.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The eons are closing
    Love the Vikes going O Line in round 1 especially at center, but not overly thrilled but okay with TE pick at round 2 given Rudolph is still productive but oft injured.

However, I don't like trading 3rd round pick, especially in division. Even with xtra picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It ended up being #62, but it happened. Nice value for the Dolphins.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Total Redbird mismanagement
    Yep and yep.

Nah, I misread you. I read DL (Defensive Line.)
    I certainly hope this guy is as productive as Ingram and Bosa (at least when healthy).

And the cards should feel lucky they got as much as they did for Rosen. Absolutely no leverage situation for them.

Very strange pick by the Lions in the 2nd round. I have never heard of this guy from Hawaii. The Detroit Free Press is giving the pick a D- grade.

^ Supposedly the Pats liked him too.

I like the killer DT we got

and I said over and over last year that we needed O line depth, so I'm very happy about the 2 smart picks today!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I like the killer DT we got

and I said over and over last year that we needed O line depth, so I'm very happy about the 2 smart picks today!
    I like the Hill pick when you consider That it was a position of need, but hoped for some secondary help. I LOVE the McGovern pick from Penn State. I’m shocked he was available. He can also play center if need be. If the team moves Connor Williams to Tackle and Travis is healthy, the Cowboys could have a top 3 OL in 2019.

These 4th rd picks are important to go S and CB. They can spend the 5th on an RB or even more secondary help.

Nice draft by the Colts BTW and good moves by the Dolphins.