Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: New music from Alan Parsons

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Well, there was the tour with Damn Yankees where he would poke fun at Dennis DeYoung. Maybe that's what he's referring to?
    That increases my respect for him.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well, there was the tour with Damn Yankees where he would poke fun at Dennis DeYoung. Maybe that's what he's referring to?
    I saw the tour and it was more Ted Nugent than Shaw. I actually thought it was funny, but I know Dennis did not take kindly to the stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    The rattlesnake museum? care to elaborate?
    Also, I have to ask Hans, were you embellishing in the local herb-ige on said night? your account of the evening reminded me a bit of a Hunter Thompson story. lol
    Ha! I swear it's all true but I have no way of proving it I suppose except to direct you to all the pictures of New Mexico on my Instagram (admittedly none of Alan Parsons but I was having too much fun with the show to take them). Except I will admit that the rattlesnake museum, despite its name, is more of a gift shop and we probably could've squeezed both into one night if it hadn't been closed.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I saw the tour and it was more Ted Nugent than Shaw. I actually thought it was funny, but I know Dennis did not take kindly to the stunt.
    I've always loved Tommy Shaw, and I kept help believe his time working with Dennis DeYoung made him a better songwriter. Dennis is and was a master at how to write a song.
    I love both of them, and at least the recent interviews I've seen with Dennis, while he does drop little digs now and then, the seems to have moved on.
    I think for the band, Dennis is a very strong personality and that probably accounts for a lot of the animosity.I also think his insistence to do Kilroy Was Here, killed the band and led to Tommy walking off stage and quitting.
    That should've been a solo album by Dennis, and maybe we'd still have the original lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    Ha! I swear it's all true but I have no way of proving it I suppose except to direct you to all the pictures of New Mexico on my Instagram (admittedly none of Alan Parsons but I was having too much fun with the show to take them). Except I will admit that the rattlesnake museum, despite its name, is more of a gift shop and we probably could've squeezed both into one night if it hadn't been closed.
    I WILL check out those photos, just out of curiousity.
    The Hunter Thompson reference by the way, was a compliment.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I've always loved Tommy Shaw, and I kept help believe his time working with Dennis DeYoung made him a better songwriter. Dennis is and was a master at how to write a song.
    I love both of them, and at least the recent interviews I've seen with Dennis, while he does drop little digs now and then, the seems to have moved on.
    I think for the band, Dennis is a very strong personality and that probably accounts for a lot of the animosity.I also think his insistence to do Kilroy Was Here, killed the band and led to Tommy walking off stage and quitting.
    That should've been a solo album by Dennis, and maybe we'd still have the original lineup.
    I have read both Sterling Whitaker’s excellent book on Styx entitled “The Grand Delusion” and Chuck Ponazzo’s autobiography “The Grand Illusion, Love, Life and my life in Styx.” According to both of those books, although “Kilroy” was not endorsed by the entire band, they did go along with both the album and the tour. Tommy was never comfortable playing the “character” of Johnathan Chance on stage during the tour, but again played along. The tour started playing in theaters where the concept of the show went over fairly well and is documented in the live film and album “Caught In The Act,” but the second leg of the tour moved to arenas where it did not work as well. The final straw from Shaw was when they were on a festival bill at a football stadium (I think in Texas?) where they were headlining with heavy bands like Ted Nugent & Sammy Hagar and Tommy begged Dennis do just go out and do a regular show and not do the “Kilroy” show with the films and acting. Dennis would not relent and the show did not go over well in front of a rocking festival audience. It was the straw that broke the camels back for Tommy and he eventually left the band.

Of course, they did eventually get back together, but that fell apart too and has never been repaired.

I am writing all of this from memory as it has been a while since I read both books, so I may have some details wrong, but I think that is the general story.

I have read both Sterling Whitaker’s excellent book on Styx entitled “The Grand Delusion” and Chuck Ponazzo’s autobiography “The Grand Illusion, Love, Life and my life in Styx.” According to both of those books, although “Kilroy” was not endorsed by the entire band, they did go along with both the album and the tour. Tommy was never comfortable playing the “character” of Johnathan Chance on stage during the tour, but again played along. The tour started playing in theaters where the concept of the show went over fairly well and is documented in the live film and album “Caught In The Act,” but the second leg of the tour moved to arenas where it did not work as well. The final straw from Shaw was when they were on a festival bill at a football stadium (I think in Texas?) where they were headlining with heavy bands like Ted Nugent & Sammy Hagar and Tommy begged Dennis do just go out and do a regular show and not do the “Kilroy” show with the films and acting. Dennis would not relent and the show did not go over well in front of a rocking festival audience. It was the straw that broke the camels back for Tommy and he eventually left the band.

Of course, they did eventually get back together, but that fell apart too and has never been repaired.

I am writing all of this from memory as it has been a while since I read both books, so I may have some details wrong, but I think that is the general story.
    This is consistent with what I remember from their "Behind the Music" episode.

And I was always on Tommy Shaw's side of this conflict, FWIW
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The only time I ever got to see Styx live was on the Kilroy tour at a theater in Los Angeles. I was a big fan of the band but not the album at the time, but the live show is one of the best concert memories I have from my high school years.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarkus View Post
    The only time I ever got to see Styx live was on the Kilroy tour at a theater in Los Angeles. I was a big fan of the band but not the album at the time, but the live show is one of the best concert memories I have from my high school years.
    I did not see the tour, but have the DVD from it. I thought it was really cool how they worked their older hits into the overall Kilroy story for the presentation.

I did not see the tour, but have the DVD from it. I thought it was really cool how they worked their older hits into the overall Kilroy story for the presentation.
    I think Styx are an excellent live band. The music and the show are both excellent!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Yes! I remember my friends and I, all pretty big Styx fans at the time, were skeptical as to how it would work, the mixing of the classic with the new, but the entire show came off beautifully.

I forgot to comment earlier that I quite like the new AP song with Tommy Shaw's vocal.

Any idea when this thread will get back to Alan Parsons?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Who?

Tommy Shaw links to Styx though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Would you settle for Jim Parsons?

Or Alan Partridge?

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Or Danny Partridge

I like the sound of the new song, and am excited about the album. I was shocked to hear that he already had a new album on the way, then even MORE shocked to realize that it's been 3 yeas since THE SECRET came out. Also find it interesting that the new album has a song called "The Secret" on it. Hmmm. Anyway, sign me up.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    I like the sound of the new song, and am excited about the album. I was shocked to hear that he already had a new album on the way, then even MORE shocked to realize that it's been 3 yeas since THE SECRET came out. Also find it interesting that the new album has a song called "The Secret" on it. Hmmm. Anyway, sign me up.
    shades of when Led Zeppelin had the song, Houses of The Holy on their Physical Graffiti album immediately following the the album, Houses of The Holy. An OCD nightmare.

shades of when Led Zeppelin had the song, Houses of The Holy on their Physical Graffiti album immediately following the the album, Houses of The Holy. An OCD nightmare.
    Haha. True.
    Or kind of like King Crimson with "Starless" NOT on the STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK album.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Another new track from the forthcoming album, this one featuring David Pack (Ambrosia and long-time Parsons collaborator) on vocals and guitar from Joe Bonamassa:

Very Cool. Nice to hear Ambrosia's David Pack singing on a new song.

The album came out on Friday. I got the 24/44.1 download from Qobuz. So far I'm liking it. It definitely has a retro vibe to it musically, with lyrical references to past APP songs in the opening track.

I downloaded it off itunes....
    many good songs, more laid back and a bit too many ballads.
    the track Never Ending Story from November's live album wasn't included.
    but i included it with my copy.
    I'm not into getting new music anymore, but went for it....
    so far it's good.

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    Haha. True.
    Or kind of like King Crimson with "Starless" NOT on the STARLESS AND BIBLE BLACK album.
    I know right. I mean, Fripp supposed to be some kind of perfectionist and he pulls that bullshit!

^^^^^^^

And ELP's song "Brain Salad Surgery" appeared on their Works Volume 2 album rather than on Brain Salad Surgery. I mean, come on!