Thread: STEVE HACKETT OR KING CRIMSON?

STEVE HACKETT OR KING CRIMSON?

if you could only choose 1 show to see this year?

saw KC last year.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    For me it would depend what material Hackett was playing, as I've seen him so many times over the past few years. I saw KC last year too.

To be honest, I'm probably skipping both tours this year, even if it's the last chance to see KC. I'm a bit concerted out.

Ironically, I WILL go see The Musical Box in March, but it's a nearby show so easy to get to.

Got to be KC.

The Lizard suite will knock yer socks off.

I've seen them both many times and KC would be my first choice without any hesitations. I can't see Fripp still touring for many years and his current band line-up is one of the best KC incarnations ever, the last KC concert I had the chance to attend was as close to perfection as possible. But don't expect any (light)shows or public entertaining/interaction, it will be much more like a (classical) music concert with an attentive, respectful and mostly meditative (silent ?) audience.

Of course Hacket is excellent too, especially if you're more into the symphonic/genesis prog side with some nostalgic atmosphere. Much closer to a standard "rock" concert.

But none of these artists can deceive...

KC all the way. There's no guarantees they'll be back after they finish all the 50th anniversary hoopla. But Hackett seems to be on a sustained "record-tour-record-tour..." cycle.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Hackett for me. I saw KC back in 2017. Great show, fantastic, but I doubt the setlist will be that different. They already played all of the classic stuff I wanted to hear. If they start adding more 80s stuff then that would only disappoint me.

Plus, Steve is playing Selling England in its entirety this year! Plus a good chunk of Spectral Mornings. I'm in!!

I got to see KC about 4 years ago, I've seen Hackett 4 times (twice with Genesis Revisited). Hands down, I'd see Hackett again. Although the KC setlist was a very good one, I enjoyed all the Hackett shows more.

Hackett, no question. The current King Crimson is nothing better than a tribute act and not a very good one at that.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Hackett, no question. The current King Crimson is nothing better than a tribute act and not a very good one at that.
    ^There is great irony with that post.

Neither. I'm going to see Uli Jon Roth!

Quote Originally Posted by PHISH99 View Post
    if you could only choose 1 show to see this year?

saw KC last year.

Hackett... not even a close call. Love KC... just if I had to choose

CRIMSO
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Hackett for the Genesis & Spectral Mornings material.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Neither. I'm going to see Uli Jon Roth!
    I saw him last year supporting Joe Satriani.
    I won't be seeing him again.

Like JKL2000, I've scratched the KC concert itch, and the 2019 tour is only visiting London, so I will not spend over £500 on travel, hotel and tickets this time around.
    As I've expressed elsewhere, I would only pay to see KC again if they down-sized from the ensemble to a trio or quartet, so I could appreciate more of RF.

Likewise, I've seen SH numerous times since the late 1970's, so I'm more interested in newer bands or ones I've yet to see live.

KC and SH are both very well-served by the post-tour recordings or videos, and I'm sure the 2019 outings will be available for us couch potatoes.

I made my choice before I knew SHackett was touring.

I love Steve's shows, but I'm happy with my choice.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    HAHA

Already got Crim tix for September, but I am thinking about Hackett in October.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    No dilemma for us, both shows the same week in Montreal. We'll be at both.

re: Uli Jon Roth

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    I saw him last year supporting Joe Satriani.
    I won't be seeing him again.
    Didn't like the show, huh?

I've only ever seen him as a headliner. This year, he's doing a three hour show, playing lots of Electric Sun and Scorpions material. Should be an awesome concert.

Thankfully, I didn't have to choose between them, as I bought tix for Hackett, Crimson & The Musical Box today. The choice question came in on the price levels for the seating. Toto, we ain't in Kansas anymore. Most of the good seats for Crimson were gone, but there were some really nice ones left. $249 per, if you want them. No thanks, I'll settle for the $75 + fees seats. The best Hackett seats weren't that high, but high enough that I likewise opted for $75+ seats. Conversely, I got a nice seat for TMB for $25 + fees.

Oh, for the days when all of the seats were priced the same, and if you were on the ball, you got down in front and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I get it that it's driven by the new (lack of) business model for physical media.