Thread: Rush: The Rise of Kings 1968-1981 & Geddy Lee Interview on AXS TV tonight (1/22/2019)

Rush: The Rise of Kings 1968-1981 & Geddy Lee Interview on AXS TV tonight (1/22/2019)

Rush Night on AXS TV tonight 1/22/2019-doc: Rush: The Rise of Kings 1968-1981 airs at 9:00PM (ET) again at 12:15AM. Also, a re-broadcast of The Big Interview with Dan Rather featuring Geddy Lee airing at 8PM (ET) & 11:15 (ET).

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks for the not so distant early warning! Set to record the docu tonight. Apparently it's not new, but I don't know if I've seen it or not. Here's a preview that was posted on YT in 2014:

Wow had to kill Chopped and Life Below Zero to record this, but its done! Thank you for the heads up. I get so sad that Rush is dead. Never thought I'd have such a reaction to a band.... a Band!!! Like they say, its not the end of the world, but man, these guys have left a huge musical hole in my life.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    This documentary stinks.
    Chad

Watched it last night. I kept wondering who the "experts" were. they seemed a bit off at times. Still, I saw some interesting interviews, and comments I hadn't seen before. Always a welcome thing.

The interview is pretty good. I've seen that documentary before and it's nowhere near Beyond the Lighted Stage. Plus I think the creators wanted to shoehorn Rush into a political pigeonhole, which didn't jive with what the Holy Trinity have said in the last couple decades.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How is the docu Time Stand Still compared to Beyond the Lighted Stage?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    More fans oriented with views from fans and not much from other musicians and the members of Rush. But a must have if you want the presto tour show.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    Rush Night on AXS TV tonight 1/22/2019-doc: Rush: The Rise of Kings 1968-1981 airs at 9:00PM (ET) again at 12:15AM. Also, a re-broadcast of The Big Interview with Dan Rather featuring Geddy Lee airing at 8PM (ET) & 11:15 (ET).
    Don't have this one yet. This can't be very good so I'm waiting to find it in the $5 to $10 range. I have several of these unauthorized ventures and I imagine this is either exactly the same or very similar to what I already have.

I find it very uneven. I usually just cherry pick a few favorite scenes like the fan scene and the hall of fame scene. but the last time I did watch the whole think I did like it slightly better than I had. Some fans apparently can't watch it because the emotions are still too raw. Of course, it does feature part of a Presto show that really isn't available anywhere else.

The Beyond The Lighted Stage is a celebratory look at the rise (and successful comeback) of Rush. And Time Stand Still is focused on the last tour the band did and is pretty much Rush preparing fans for their breakup due to Neil's decision to retire. TSS also features segments with the band's most dedicated fans and the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction. BTLS is more fun while TSS is bittersweet but I think it's essential in explaining Neil's retirement from drumming and thanking the fans for the band's success.
    Last edited by starless and bible black; 01-24-2019 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    BTLS is more fun but TSS in essential in explaining Neil's retirement from drumming and thanking the fans for the band's success.
    This must be why I always seem to be missing a little info on why Neil was retiring from drumming. I've seen BTLS, but never saw Time Stand Still.

Alex & Geddy seem to be working overtime talking about all the things we don't wanna hear about.
    it's been almost 5 years........ still nothing planned.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Alex & Geddy seem to be working overtime talking about all the things we don't wanna hear about.
    Seems like it's mostly by way of promoting Geddy's book right now.

What they really need to do is make a Christmas album, and they don't need Peart for lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    What they really need to do is make a Christmas album, and they don't need Peart for lyrics.
    I do not want to hear the 2019 version of Geddy Lee singing Christmas songs.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I do not want to hear the 2019 version of Geddy Lee singing Christmas songs.
    A chorus of Geddys: "Dashing through the snowww... on a one horse open and sleeeigh..."

The boys will be back, Christmas 2019!

I wonder how they will do it. If they do it. Without Neil there is a pretty big hole. My favorite headache is a solid album, I haven't heard Victor yet, although its on my bucket list. I wonder if they will nab another drummer to do it all or if they will guest in a few throughout the album. Its definitely going to be different without Neil. I also wonder how Neil is going to deal with it. I know he always disliked touring, but how will he react to the new material? Will he ignore it? (Seems like a rude thing) will he openly support it? With they use the Rush website to promote it and comment on it? So many things to wonder about. At least, we have something to look forward to.

I do not see Alex and Geddy as "Christmas album" types. Maybe a "Christmas Vacation/cousin Eddy kind of ho ho ho", but I don't even see that as a anything but a bizarre possibility.

It will be classy, I'm already looking forward to seeing a show. Pretty sure they will still pack out the venues, I just wonder how the franchise will handle it all. Still Anthem records, Still same or similar touring staff. Same kind of great shows. How could it be anything else? I even think that they may yet have as big a following as before, depending of course on how they decide to manage things, and the quality of the new stuff. I also wonder how a new member (0r members) would be received. Its not like Neil is even a possibility, so its not like fans should resent anyone else showing up, but its a funny world.

And of course, how will they handle the Rush material? Will they play it? will they change it up?

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    My favorite headache is a solid album, I haven't heard Victor yet, although its on my bucket list.
    Don't get too excited about Victor. I've had it since the day it came out and I've played it maybe four times total. Maybe that's just me, I don't know... agree about My Favourite Headache though, which has some great tracks!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Don't get too excited about Victor. I've had it since the day it came out and I've played it maybe four times total. Maybe that's just me, I don't know... agree about My Favourite Headache though, which has some great tracks!
    I played Victor maybe fifteen times and usually not all the way through. I didn't think MFH was all that great except for the closing "Face to Face." There are decent songs but obvious what Alex adds. They can find a great drummer who can play without being in pain, and I doubt Neil would care at all.

This must be why I always seem to be missing a little info on why Neil was retiring from drumming. I've seen BTLS, but never saw Time Stand Still.
    Neil pretty much broke the news himself in his last book.

Can't recall the timing, but I think it came out before the Time Stand Still doc.

I want to hear about all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I've very excited about Victor. Not something I listen to as much as my Favorite Headache, but I think it's a great album aside from Edwin of I Mother Earth. I love the vibe on it though. It's not Rush as all, but that wasn't the expectation for me.