Page 37 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: MLB 2019

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Braves crew interviewed him before tonight’s game. A new treatment has him feeling good. He’ll catch for Atlanta. In fact, he’s catching tonight in Flushing.
    So much for the 'other' position. Good luck to him. Thanks for the info

The Twins likely will surpass the Team Home Run record, broke/set by the Yankees last year at 267 as they hit 3 more tonight to have them at 251 with 33 games left.

That's great, but I don't have much hope for them in the playoffs with their pitching and fielding.

It seems most games they win, they outscore the other team.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    These black & white uniforms are as ugly as sin.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    These black & white uniforms are as ugly as sin.
    Seems to be the consensus.

The black is not as bad as the white. But, who would want wear black playing baseball in August?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^You just have to wonder how they were greenlighted? How many corporate knobs looked at them and said, Yep, that’s what we were looking for! “Thrilling new trends” indeed.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^You just have to wonder how they were greenlighted? How many corporate knobs looked at them and said, Yep, that’s what we were looking for! “Thrilling new trends” indeed.
    Design by committee, no doubt. That's the surest way to get to plain vanilla and, in this case, get there literally.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quite a series in LA this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    It seems most games they win, they outscore the other team.
    I've been noticing the exact same thing with my team
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

Does MLB have a Mike Trout problem?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-sport-suffers

I don’t think much of Bleacher Report (though in fairness it’s not a go to site for me), and I think they miss some key points—it’s quite tough to build a winner in the Majors—but are we seeing a generational player’s popularity squandered because of his team’s mediocrity?

Trout has already reached HOF territory by WAR standards, and yet how often does anyone see him on tv or even think about him? If he had hit the market, and if he’d signed with the Yankees, can you imagine how much media he would’ve garnered, how much constant attention? What do they call it? Q rating? That thing would’ve been through the goddam roof.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Quite a series in LA this past weekend.
    Definitely! Glad the Dodgers retain the best record in the league.

Does MLB have a Mike Trout problem?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-sport-suffers

I don’t think much of Bleacher Report (though in fairness it’s not a go to site for me), and I think they miss some key points—it’s quite tough to build a winner in the Majors—but are we seeing a generational player’s popularity squandered because of his team’s mediocrity?

Trout has already reached HOF territory by WAR standards, and yet how often does anyone see him on tv or even think about him? If he had hit the market, and if he’d signed with the Yankees, can you imagine how much media he would’ve garnered, how much constant attention? What do they call it? Q rating? That thing would’ve been through the goddam roof.
    Meh. That article was very difficult to follow. It jumped over a few different premises and never really got anywhere.

But to your point, within baseball circles, Trout IS the face of baseball. I think most baseball fans won’t debate his greatness by rings because they know the Angels have failed to give him the opportunities.

Outside of baseball circles, the face would likely be Bryce Harper. He has gotten the hype and a personality reputation. He will most definitely be judged by his accomplishments when he retires.

Beyond that, who is the face of baseball now that the likes of Papi, Jeter, and A-Rod are gone? I think if you asked non baseball fans to name 5 current players, you would struggle to get the results.

Think of recent WS winners or major perennial contenders, some with even catchy names or nicknames like “Mad Max”, “Mookie”, “Xander”, and “Judge”. Can they name anyone from the Astros or Cubs? Barely anyone has nationwide marketability right now.

Imo, it would be far more likely for Harper to generate the press had he singed with the Yankees than Trout.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Definitely! Glad the Dodgers retain the best record in the league.
    Ahh, but if they end up tied and meet in the WS, NY gets home field advantage.

Game 2 shouldn't have ended the way it did with a time out call while the tying run was heading toward the home. A Max Muncy fake and bad umpiring. Some might call that a bush league play. Not sure I would.
    Last edited by ronmac; 08-27-2019 at 08:36 AM.

FWIW (not much), I think that Trout is the only MLB player right now who is better overall than Yelich. Yeah, I know, but Yeli has a better longer resume than Beli.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Ahh, but if they meet in the WS, NY gets home field advantage.
    Yankees would need every advantage they could get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yankees would need every advantage they could get.

They did take two out of three in LA.

Hey, ESPN,

SHOW THE FUCKING PLAY ON THE FIELD!

They did take two out of three in LA.
    Glad the Dodgers retained the best record in the league.

Ugh. The autopsy report on Skaggs is out. Poor kid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp

Really sad. The family statement was pretty interesting:

(from the article)

"We are grateful for the work of the detectives in the Southlake Police Department and their ongoing investigation into the circumstances surrounding Tyler's death. We were shocked to learn that it may involve an employee of the Los Angeles Angels. We will not rest until we learn the truth about how Tyler came into possession of these narcotics, including who supplied them. To that end, we have hired attorney Rusty Hardin to assist us."

A spokesperson for Major League Baseball said MLB was unaware of the family's allegation and will investigate further.

I was looking at the standings and was a bit surprised to see that the Bosox have a .500 record in Fenway.

I think we just had a first. There was a bang-bang double play in New York where both outs were overturned by review.

Ugh. The autopsy report on Skaggs is out. Poor kid.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.esp...3fplatform=amp
    That's like dying from an accidental knife and gunshot wound.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

September is here, and in Cincinnati, the quest for .500 continues.
    Biggest surprises this year? No doubt the performance of Acquino after being called up in August. Also, the pitching of Sonny Gray.

Biggest disappointments? The decline of Joey Votto, and the pitching of Trevor Bauer.

How about your team?
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    How about your team?
    My team got shut out for the first time in 220 games yesterday.

My team got shut out for the first time in 220 games yesterday.
    That is impressive!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence