Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Kraan

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Ebay auction:

Peter Wolbrandt's Grandfather was a graphic artist.
    He made this wood engraving, when Peter was born.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/145488263950...Bk9SR7qGxMatYw
    Very nice.

I saw Kraan at NEARFest 2003, without having a clue who they were. I wasn't in the best of moods after we'd been kept waiting for what seem like HOURS by Glass Hammer, the preceding band, who then delivered a set of quite astonishing bloat and hackneyed sympth-prog clichés. Kraan hit the stage - no bullshit, no choirs, no 'great art' pretensions - and blew me away with an astonishing set of jamband genius. This was a band who entirely lacked any airs and graces, but clearly got off on playing together and incorporated a huge amount of the one thing conspicuous by its absence from Glass Hammer's set - humour. I've been a fan ever since, and subsequently picked up several studio and classic 70s live album, all of which I find hugely enjoyable to listen to. No question either that Helmut Hattler is one of the great, unsung geniuses of the bass - everything Kraan do spins off his amazing playing. I'd love to see them live again, but I don't think they come to the UK very often, if at all.

They were a highlight of Progday 2002. Had a 'prog' audience standing up, clapping and dancing along. Of course RIP Ingo Bischof.

saw Kraan during the early 00's in Verviers and live they were excellent.

But I hadn't bought an album of theirs past the double Live...

But in recent weeks, I've been laying an ear on most of these later albums and I must say that they keep a certain Kraan-standard level of quality throughout (I'm up now with Soul Of Stone), though Flyday and DancingShade are less enthralling. Not that most of these later album are worth owning, though (IMHO)

I will persevere until the already-heard Zoup of last year (which is what prompted me to do reassess the band's less popular stuff)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Except 'Kraan X' all albums sounds like Kraan.

Tournee and Live88 are as good as Live 74.
    Personally Flyday is one of my favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Except 'Kraan X' all albums sounds like Kraan.

Tournee and Live88 are as good as Live 74.
    Personally Flyday is one of my favorites.
    I think my favorite is Wiederhören, probably because it was the first Kraan I heard. Got it from the public library and taped it. Slowly it grew on me.

The eons are closing
    Flyday is also one of my faves (it was what brought me to the band) but I don't have a deep collection either.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    They were a highlight of Progday 2002. Had a 'prog' audience standing up, clapping and dancing along. Of course RIP Ingo Bischof.
    I have a soundboard recording of that show. They were on fire that day.

Quote Originally Posted by kid_runningfox View Post
    I saw Kraan at NEARFest 2003, without having a clue who they were. I wasn't in the best of moods after we'd been kept waiting for what seem like HOURS by Glass Hammer, the preceding band, who then delivered a set of quite astonishing bloat and hackneyed sympth-prog clichés. Kraan hit the stage - no bullshit, no choirs, no 'great art' pretensions - and blew me away with an astonishing set of jamband genius. This was a band who entirely lacked any airs and graces, but clearly got off on playing together and incorporated a huge amount of the one thing conspicuous by its absence from Glass Hammer's set - humour. I've been a fan ever since, and subsequently picked up several studio and classic 70s live album, all of which I find hugely enjoyable to listen to. No question either that Helmut Hattler is one of the great, unsung geniuses of the bass - everything Kraan do spins off his amazing playing. I'd love to see them live again, but I don't think they come to the UK very often, if at all.
    Sorry you didn't like Glass Hammer's show. I do want to say that there were zero delays caused by Glass Hammer that day. We were rushed through our soundcheck and never got the monitor mix corrected before the curtain opened. As for lack of humor, you must have missed our intro. Regardless, we had a blast performing for you that day.

Steve

Interview with Hellmut Hattler (in English and Italian)

https://bassmyfever.weebly.com/inter...ler.html#ABOUT

Listening to their latest album and well, of course I like it.