Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Dream Theater DVD in 3D

New Dream Theater DVD in 3D

Live at Luna Park .Will this b the first music DVD to b released in 3D HD?

Really enjoyed their last CD so looking forward to this ?
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-17-2013 at 04:34 PM.

Not sure when they filmed this, but we saw them at NotP 2011. That was the best I've seen them. Every one of them was spot on and it seemed Mangini really brought a spark to the band.

Certainly auto-buy for me, but 2D if available.

CES 2013 pretty much pronounced 3D TVs on lifesupport. They're all moving to 4k and 8k tvs and ditching 3D, although I'm sure it will stagger for a while longer as Hollywood takes forever to progress. They like 3D right now since they can double dip by reprocessing canned movies.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

3D TV never made sense to me - from a consumer's point of view.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Live at Luna Park .Will this b the first music DVD to b released in 3D HD?

Really enjoyed their last CD so looking forward to this ?
    Nope. Not sure if this was either, but Pat Metheny's Orchestrion Project, released last year, was also 3D HD.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    Nope. Not sure if this was either, but Pat Metheny's Orchestrion Project, released last year, was also 3D HD.
    Peter Gabriel has also released 3D concert blu-ray New Blood Live In London.

God, I can only imagine how awesome Jordan's epic Ming beard will look in 3D. I'll be ducking everytime he looks out into the crowd for sure

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    God, I can only imagine how awesome Jordan's epic Ming beard will look in 3D. I'll be ducking everytime he looks out into the crowd for sure
    thing is gross to look at on standard definition TV, let alone HD TV - 3-D would make me puke.

Recently watched an Alice Cooper concert on Sky Arts in 3D & it defineatly takes the visual experience up a notch. Felt like being at the actual show !

Banned
    I've seen Alice Cooper in 3D as well....live in concert!

Joe Satriani also has a 3D Blu ray btw as well as the Scorpions.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Peter Gabriel has also released 3D concert blu-ray New Blood Live In London.
    What, that wasn't in the deluxe hardback thingy, was it?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    LOL! I hate that thing - why is that the only thing he could come up with to make himself look less bald and middle-aged?

And I'm sure LaBrie will look especially sweaty and unclean in 3D. I really think DT could drop ALL attempts to look "metal" at this point and it wouldn't do any harm. Come on, guys, you're old and prog rock. Dress normal and get on with it.

I don't own a 3D tv, so its not a selling point for me. But the trailer for this looks awesome, and should be great with an enthusiastic crowd. See snippets of the crowd reaction reminded me a bit of Rush in Rio, same kind of crazed fans. US fans of DT are not exactly lifeless, but the S.AMerican fans have us beat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    LOL! I hate that thing - why is that the only thing he could come up with to make himself look less bald and middle-aged?

And I'm sure LaBrie will look especially sweaty and unclean in 3D. I really think DT could drop ALL attempts to look "metal" at this point and it wouldn't do any harm. Come on, guys, you're old and prog rock. Dress normal and get on with it.
    I actually think that Jordan looks younger without hair and with a beard than he did with long hair and clean-shaven.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What, that wasn't in the deluxe hardback thingy, was it?
    I dont know about that. This is the release I am talking about: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Peter-...Blu-ray/28513/

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I actually think that Jordan looks younger without hair and with a beard than he did with long hair and clean-shaven.
    Well...IMHO he'd look best sans both hair and chin shrubbery, but to each their own.

Jabbing at the hairstyles aside, I really am looking forward to this. Saw the band twice supporting the last album and thought they were terrific. Kind of rebooted my interest in DT.

Agreed, really looking forward to this.

Banned
    this Friday, I'm going to see The Who...in 3D!

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    this Friday, I'm going to see The Who...in 3D!
    I assume they'll charge you more for the tickets, since it'll be a 3D concert

Banned
    not sure. I saw the Security Band in 3D last saturday night for $29.50.

Well...IMHO he'd look best sans both hair and chin shrubbery, but to each their own.
    Jabbing at the hairstyles aside, I really am looking forward to this. Saw the band twice supporting the last album and thought they were terrific. Kind of rebooted my interest in DT.
    I had gone a long time between DT concerts, for me anyway. I last saw them in 06, the "Score" concert. But I caught 2 legs of the recent tour, and they seemed refreshed and recharged. I thought I had enough concert DVD's of them, but then I saw the preview trailer and knew I had to have this.

Interesting, the comments I've seen about "before and after" appearances. I saw them on the last tour to come through Texas with Portnoy, and they were spot-on. I saw them also with the first tour with Mangini, and although he did a great job, the band sounded a bit sloppier and less precise. It could have been the sound crew, but it didn't sound like the precise, locked-in DT that I was familiar with. And as I said, I don't think it was Mangini.

Oh, and I could give a flip about 3D. Unsure why, but it hasn't done anything for me yet.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

If the audio is 5.1, that's all the "3D" I care about when watching a concert disc.
    That, and having the video spend more than 1.5 seconds on any given scene.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhael View Post
    Oh, and I could give a flip about 3D. Unsure why, but it hasn't done anything for me yet.
    it's quite simple- as humans, we SEE in 3D - so why is a 3D movie such a big deal? By the way, looks like 3D tv's are a bust.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    it's quite simple- as humans, we SEE in 3D - so why is a 3D movie such a big deal? By the way, looks like 3D tv's are a bust.
    It's simply never enhanced any video experience for me. And 3D TVs? Yeah, they're a bust. I can't focus properly on the ones I've tried, and I'm one of those people who have no problem bringing the 3D out of those squiggly-line drawings (whatever they're called). Plus, I wear glasses...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.