Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Heliopolis -- Los Angeles Progressive Rock Band

Jefferson James

Heliopolis -- Los Angeles Progressive Rock Band

Ah, what the hell.

Some of you might remember my old band, the now-defunct Mars Hollow (the guitarist recently moved out of state).

Out of the smoldering wreckage two new bands have emerged: Heliopolis and an as-yet-to-be-named project fronted by former MH members Steve Mauk (keyboards), Joe August (bass) and Bob Craft (drums), along with a new guitarist. I've spoken with Steve about his new venture and he's very happy and excited about what's going on. We're hoping to do some LA-area gigs together whenever they're ready...

Heliopolis is former MH drummer Jerry Beller, keyboard wizard Matt Brown (he recently played a show with Chris Squire and Taylor Hawkins), guitarist Mike Matier, lead vocalist Scott Jones, and yours drooly on bass. The music thus far is ranging from industrial-tinged instrumental mayhem to classic progressive rock to prog-tinged pop. All five of us sing and vocal harmonies will likely play a big role in the songs, although we're not planning a full-on Moon Safari-esque assault.

Thanks to Norcal Kurt aka Kurt Matson, we're playing our first gig with the incredible MoeTar at The Starry Plough in lovely Berkeley, California on Saturday, January 26, 2013. Details to follow soon.

Meanwhile, here's a couple of musical tidbits if anyone is curious; thanks in advance to anyone who checks this stuff out, we appreciate it most sincerely.

Jefferson James

Heliopolis
    Hey all - Matt here.

This is the most excited I've been about being in a band in a long time. Between Heliopolis and my other project (The Jazz Butchers) it's been one hell of a year! Everyone in the band is dedicated and full of ideas.

We are having a great time writing new music and working up some of our own existing tunes to get our live set ready AND record our debut release.

ROCK....er, PROG!

I loved the first sample the first time I heard it. The new sample is killer also. I am so looking forward to a complete CD (and concert hopefully).
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

So far, I've dug everything I've heard from Heliopolis... more that Mars Hollow, if I may be candid. And I haven't even heard anything with vocals yet! I have a feeling it's going to be all over the map... in a good way! Anxious to hear the record when it's done. Best of luck, guys!

Magog
    Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    So far, I've dug everything I've heard from Heliopolis... more that Mars Hollow, if I may be candid. And I haven't even heard anything with vocals yet! I have a feeling it's going to be all over the map... in a good way! Anxious to hear the record when it's done. Best of luck, guys!
    What Ernie said.

Matt

I witnessed Heliopolis in a rehearsal in October and the vocals are one of the high points of the band.

The very best to Kerry and his merry band of musicians. The samples are great, the full songs I'm sure will be even greater...!

Peace,
    Alex

Champion of Nothing Nicky Cupcakes's Avatar
    Sounds great! Good luck with the recordings, looking forward to hearing the finished product(s)!

The guitarist moved out of state? That's shocking!

I'm with Ernie, KC. This is the "silver lining" band, my friend!

Hmmmm...my 68th bday is 01/24/13. Ya never know!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Ditto!
    Awesome stuff so far, guys!!

Like looking at negatives of an Albino Pope thru a kaleidoscope.....

Mr Wishbone? baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad ass! Perfect mixture of Yes, KC, ELP and Modern! More please!
    Last edited by warrplayer; 11-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.

Real nice!

I'm a big fan of the 2 Mars Hollow albums so I've been following this project. The samples sound great. Can't wait to hear the results! I didn't know that the new MH lineup broke up already but I'm looking forward to the new band as well.

Jon Neudorf
    Sounds great!

Regards,
    Jon

Good times Kerry, good times!!!!

I have every intention of coming down for the January show, now that I'm 1800 miles closer... LOL!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Cool Kerry. Glad that this is happening!

Berkley in January? Awesome. I plan to make it to the show, bro. Will the "new album" be released by then? I'm ready to buy, my friend.

I hope you guys include an instrumental... Acts of self indulgence are a must.
    Last edited by Boceephus; 11-08-2012 at 03:52 AM.

I never heard Mars Hollow, but I really dig these two tunes!

Love the samples, Kerry. Best of luck.

(grinning like a motherfucker)
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Nice sounding stuff! Good luck and please keep us updated on the progress